Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Your solution to fix the College Football Playoff (Pic Thread)

Comments

• Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,987
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

You guys who compare wanting a playoff to waiting to turn this into the NFL are hilarious. Literally every other team sport has some sort of a playoff to determine a true champion. All of them. Including every other division of college football. You don't have to love the nFL to want a playoff, you just have to love sports.

I get that you guys are college football purists and that's cute and all but the past is for doogs and you're all living in it.

This. The players don't give a shit about the bowls any more. College football as we knew it is dead. Expand the playoffs to 6 or 8 and just get rid of the bowls. Power five champs qualify with the rest at large.
  • Options
    RubberfistRubberfist Member Posts: 1,373
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    PurpleJ said:

The ONLY solution is a 64 team playoff with two play in games.

I have 128. Everyone gets a shot. Plus it has round robin. Do you have round robin? I thought not.
    My play in games have a gun in the middle of the field that nobody is allowed to touch. Beat that you dumb bitch.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,516
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

You guys who compare wanting a playoff to waiting to turn this into the NFL are hilarious. Literally every other team sport has some sort of a playoff to determine a true champion. All of them. Including every other division of college football. You don't have to love the nFL to want a playoff, you just have to love sports.

I get that you guys are college football purists and that's cute and all but the past is for doogs and you're all living in it.

This. The players don't give a shit about the bowls any more. College football as we knew it is dead. Expand the playoffs to 6 or 8 and just get rid of the bowls. Power five champs qualify with the rest at large.
    95% of bowl games never meant anything, even pre-playoff.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It’s a really complicated issue. But somehow the FCS came up with something. I’m not sure how they figured it out, but it’s genius.

• Options
    ForeskinWalletDawgForeskinWalletDawg Member Posts: 238
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Name Dropper

I'd also like to see about half the bowls disappear. They're stupid. I'd like to get back to a time when you could say, "hey, fuck you. we played 8 bowl teams last year" and have that mean something of an indication that you played good teams.

Forgot the one-tie Cotton in the above list.

Limit bowls to Rose, Orange, Sugar, Cotton, Fiesta, Peach, Holiday, Sun, and maybe one more. I know it's new and that Miami just "played" in it (if that's what you can call it), but the Pinstripe (stupid name) bowl is interesting in that it involves the Big Apple in bowl season. Cool place to go, and they actually make Yankee stadium work well for the game.

But all these other shit bowls should just go away.

But they won't.

Like herpes
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,961
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'd also like to see about half the bowls disappear. They're stupid. I'd like to get back to a time when you could say, "hey, fuck you. we played 8 bowl teams last year" and have that mean something of an indication that you played good teams.

Forgot the one-tie Cotton in the above list.

Limit bowls to Rose, Orange, Sugar, Cotton, Fiesta, Peach, Holiday, Sun, and maybe one more. I know it's new and that Miami just "played" in it (if that's what you can call it), but the Pinstripe (stupid name) bowl is interesting in that it involves the Big Apple in bowl season. Cool place to go, and they actually make Yankee stadium work well for the game.

But all these other shit bowls should just go away.

But they won't.

Like herpes
    That shit will stick with you.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    I think I mentioned this in another thread but I DGAF about how the playoffs are structured right now because of how poorly regular seasons are being handled. With the SEC and ACC playing fewer in conference games than the Big 12, Pac-12 and Big Ten, the BAMAs, Georgias, and Clemsons of the world are always going to be stacking the deck in their favor regardless of if we keep the existing 4 game playoff, go to a 8 team playoff, or return to the traditional bowl system.

Of course no one in a position to change this will do anything about it because they’re getting richly paid (hi Larry!), and seem happy with getting the chance to *maybe* beat Saban every few years.
  • Options
    Postal91Postal91 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,731
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

how poorly regular seasons are being handled.

How dare you... HOW DARE YOU! I love that one of my 6 home games at Husky Stadium celebrates local colleges to the likes of Portland State and Eastern Washington.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,350
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,987
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    ntxduck said:

95% of bowl games never meant anything, even pre-playoff.
    They never meant anything but the teams in the bigger games were always trying to win. But I understand for some of us football was invented in 1994 and bowls were already starting to get watered down at that point.

Bowl games outside the playoff are dead. If the non power 5 teams still want to do them fine but it's trending more toward an exhibition game that shouldn't count on the record.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    edited January 2019
    The biggest issues in CFP right now are locations of where talent concentrated and the money within the programs and conferences

Right now the money and talentvall reside in the hands of the SEC

The $$$ part is undeniable

The talent is more debatable ... but a huge issue in the P12 right now is losing elite players outside of our geographical footprint
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper

My solution?

Enlist one of comedy’s great ‘coaches’ or ‘fans’ to star in a digital series that addresses the challenges of selecting teams to play in a college football playoff

I would invest in this idea, you?
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Tequilla said:

The biggest issues in CFP right now are locations of where talent concentrated and the money within the programs and conferences

The talent is more debatable ... but a huge issue in the P12 right now is losing elite players outside of our geographical footprint

Huh?
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,535
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

PurpleJ said:

The ONLY solution is a 64 team playoff with two play in games.

I have 128. Everyone gets a shot. Plus it has round robin. Do you have round robin? I thought not.
    My play in games have a gun in the middle of the field that nobody is allowed to touch. Beat that you dumb bitch.
    In mine the gun has a single bullet and replays are settled by Russian roulette.
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

Look if we’re gonna go this route, then we need to take the 32 best programs in college and create a super division with like say 4 conferences of 8 teams. 7 conference games every year + 4 out of conference games against good teams ever year (2 home and 2 road). Make a neutral scheduling committee if need be. If we are going to go NFL with college football then I only want to watch good teams. I want Bama or Clempson to have to come to Seattle for a regular season game that counts in the win/loss standings.
    Well yes everything you just said needs to happen. I'm even fine with the 64 team (four 16 team conference with two divisions each) idea where you play 7 from your division, 2 from the other division and 3 non conference per year. But yes the way non conference scheduling is done is a huge issue in college football, as is the fact different conferences don't play the same amount of conference games.

The playing field needs to be leveled for sure.

Honestly everything you said would be an improvement with or without going to an 8 team playoff. Even the plus one model would be improved in this scenario.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    If you expand the playoff, you can kiss the PAC 12 going to the Rose Bowl good bye.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Tequilla said:

Huh?
    It sounds like He wants to open some sort of TBS relocation program.