Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Great Prime Rib advice

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,930
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
Pretty much mirrors how I do PR. Slow and low, that is the tempo. 225 max and then crank up at the end to get a little crusty, bark. @GrundleStiltzkin prolly does like 190 for 10 hrs.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/12/how-to-make-perfect-prime-rib-for-christmas-dinner.html

Comments

• Options
    minion_doogminion_doog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,946
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Pretty much mirrors how I do PR. Slow and low, that is the tempo. 225 max and then crank up at the end to get a little crusty, bark. @GrundleStiltzkin prolly does like 190 for 10 hrs.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/12/how-to-make-perfect-prime-rib-for-christmas-dinner.html

So you're saying I should let it flow? Let myself go?

Green Egg, baby. Hope it's as nice tomorrow as it is today. Good reason to stay outside and drink.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Never done a prime rib actually, that's rich people cut. I'm plenty happy with 24 hour brisket. I did ribs for Christmas dinner a couple years, too hectic this tim around.

If it makes you feel any better I only got USDA Choice. Too pour for USDA Prime.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,543
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I have an oil-less fryer (Charbroil) that does a good job - 7 lber in 2 and 1/2 hours - crispy outside all around and rare. I also use your method if doing it indoors. I stay outside and don't have to socialize to the benefit of all
  • Options
    CrowningBrowningCrowningBrowning Member Posts: 25
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited December 2018
    I got a 17lb. prime cut a week ago, gonna do 9lbs. tomorrow for five adults. Sear at 475 first, then low and slow at 225 until it hits 130 in the center. Mince about 4 whole heads of garlic, a few tbsp of olive oil, some dijon mustard, salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme for the rub. After searing add some stock mixed with whatever red wine you have lying around, makes for a good jus even if the meat itself doesn't bleed that much. I've done bone-in before, but I prefer boneless. Cooks a bit faster and why pay that much for something the dog's going to chew on
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365

I got a 17lb. prime cut a week ago, gonna do 9lbs. tomorrow for five adults. Sear at 475 first, then low and slow at 225 until it hits 130 in the center. Mince about 4 whole heads of garlic, a few tbsp of olive oil, some dijon mustard, salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme for the rub. After searing add some stock mixed with whatever red wine you have lying around, makes for a good jus even if the meat itself doesn't bleed that much. I've done bone-in before, but I prefer boneless. Cooks a bit faster and why pay that much for something the dog's going to chew on

Too done?
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,854
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Baseman said:

Too done?
    No warning. Just done.
  • Options
    GilbystaintGilbystaint Member Posts: 1,061
    Baseman said:

Too done?
    Tear of the horns, wipe it’s ass and put it on the plate. Merry Christmas.
  • Options
  • Options

Going to give this a try this year. TYFYS
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    Baseman said:

Too done?
    Only one person in the family likes their prime rib rare, and it's not me or the wife, so we have it mediumer. Prime cut margin of error is larger than with a choice cut. Plus, I really don't have the patience to let it sit for too long; I just want to get to the eating part

Rule #9 should make Huskieie fans worried about the Rose Bowel: Don't worry about Browning until the end
  • Options

Going to give this a try this year. TYFYS
    Us, too. Good work Snow!

We should probably take this to the Doogie recepie bored.

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Doing ribs after all today
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I just rubbed down my meat. All 10 lbs of it. Gotta let sit for a couple hrs to raise to closer to room temp.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Doing ribs after all today

Pork is pour people meat. And the most versatile, magical animal ever invented!!
  • Options
    BearsWiin said:

Baseman said:

Too done?
    Only one person in the family likes their prime rib rare, and it's not me or the wife, so we have it mediumer. Prime cut margin of error is larger than with a choice cut. Plus, I really don't have the patience to let it sit for too long; I just want to get to the eating part

Rule #9 should make Huskieie fans worried about the Rose Bowel: Don't worry about Browning until the end
    May as well not even eat the meat
  • Options
    CrowningBrowningCrowningBrowning Member Posts: 25

I just rubbed down my meat. All 10 lbs of it. Gotta let sit for a couple hrs to raise to closer to room temp.

I try to get the core at least 53-55 before it goes in the oven. Been sitting out since 8 this morning
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Baseman said:

BearsWiin said:

Baseman said:

Too done?

May as well not even eat the meat
    Agree.