Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Asa "Mercer" Turner (the Trevor Lawrence of WC DBs), 4* 2019 S, Carlsbad (HS), CA (Committed)

Comments

• Options
    KrunkJuiceKrunkJuice Member Posts: 2,046
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

So IF Turner signs with ND (not convinced he will but feels likely) what’s the play here? My hope is we don’t immediately offer anyone way down the list but wait and see who doesn’t sign and poach the hell out of somebody between signing periods.

I would punt on the position and take 5 guys next year. Next years class is loaded at that spot.
    We've been told it's Ranson and nobody else at safety next year.

I don't know if this is true but what makes you say it's so stacked?

I'm not real comfortable losing 5 DB's this year and only taking 3, I think we have to take at least 4 and I'd be open to 5.
    I agree with your points but I don't want to offer someone to just offer him. Zion Alefosio, Makell Easton and JJ Greenfield are three 2020 guys on top of Ransom that can fit the bill. I obviously don't think we will have any problems filling our CB needs for the class. Then there is always guys that come on the scene late in the summer.
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

So IF Turner signs with ND (not convinced he will but feels likely) what’s the play here? My hope is we don’t immediately offer anyone way down the list but wait and see who doesn’t sign and poach the hell out of somebody between signing periods.

I would punt on the position and take 5 guys next year. Next years class is loaded at that spot.
    We've been told it's Ranson and nobody else at safety next year.

I don't know if this is true but what makes you say it's so stacked?

I'm not real comfortable losing 5 DB's this year and only taking 3, I think we have to take at least 4 and I'd be open to 5.
    I agree with your points but I don't want to offer someone to just offer him. Zion Alefosio, Makell Easton and JJ Greenfield are three 2020 guys on top of Ransom that can fit the bill. I obviously don't think we will have any problems filling our CB needs for the class. Then there is always guys that come on the scene late in the summer.
    Turner isn't coming here to play Cb though, he's coming to play safety.

IMO we either wait until the late signing period and see who is still available or offer McMillan immediately.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

I'm not worried. I just don't think he would betray the UW coaches at the last minute like this. He seems too nice to do that. There's a huge difference between wavering between two great schools and programs and actually picking up the phone to tell the UW coaches you're signing with Notre Dame. If he's too nice of a kid to do that then this recruitment has been over since he committed to UW. At some point today I would bet he gets fed up with the stress and the pressure of the situation he's in and just says "I'm over this, I'm just gonna stick with UW and be done with this shit."

Worst case scenario I think is he and his parents decide he needs more time to make a final decision so he won't sign early. If that happens UW still has an advantage with him playing in the Poly bowl with a million UW commits there with him making him feel wanted at the player level and peer recruiting the shit out of him.

Let’s get something straight ...

You do what you think is best for you and those closest to you ... you don’t make a decision based on not wanting to piss others off
  • Options
    AF9705AF9705 Member Posts: 181
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    I’m going to throw something else out that will ruffle some feathers on here, it shouldn’t, but it will for some reason...

Turner is not a “DB” & is not a Safety in the way people on here think. I don’t like to discuss player evaluation & X&O’s because people get really upset, but I will in this case.

He already has the frame of an OLB at the collegiate level. He has a better chance of playing drop end in college than Safety. No way on earth is he playing Safety in the NFL.

Every, I mean every, scout who has reviewed him, has said what I just said. Lake is telling him Safety & touting DBs in the NFL because it is a recruiting tactic. UW will use him as the crashing Safety in their 4-2-5 the exact way ND uses a Rover in their D. Every player at ND who has played Rover is a former HS Safety.

Kid is 6’4 & over 220 already. He isn’t playing “DB” at the next level. With his frame he will end up 235-240.
  • Options
    AF9705AF9705 Member Posts: 181
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

AF9705 said:

I’m going to throw something else out that will ruffle some feathers on here, it shouldn’t, but it will for some reason...

Turner is not a “DB” & is not a Safety in the way people on here think. I don’t like to discuss player evaluation & X&O’s because people get really upset, but I will in this case.

He already has the frame of an OLB at the collegiate level. He has a better chance of playing drop end in college than Safety. No way on earth is he playing Safety in the NFL.

Every, I mean every, scout who has reviewed him, has said what I just said. Lake is telling him Safety & touting DBs in the NFL because it is a recruiting tactic. UW will use him as the crashing Safety in their 4-2-5 the exact way ND uses a Rover in their D. Every player at ND who has played Rover is a former HS Safety.

Kid is 6’4 & over 220 already. He isn’t playing “DB” at the next level. With his frame he will end up 235-240.

Reminds me a lot of Earl Thomas, tbh
    Earl Thomas had speed, explosion & ball skills unlike most players I have ever seen.
    Turner is nowhere that level. Very few players ever have been.
  • Options
    Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,943
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    AF9705 said:

Yea dude your right, it’s a recruiting tactic, it’s not like we have a linebacker this year who was the DPOY in the Pac 12 and a 1st team all American. We are definitely trying to hide that type of player development from our recruits! Fuck out of here.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,723
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    AF9705 said:

Who plays this role in current UW defense? Where is UW hiding all these safeties that are actually LBs?
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,801
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

AF9705 said:

AF9705 said:

Reminds me a lot of Earl Thomas, tbh
    Earl Thomas had speed, explosion & ball skills unlike most players I have ever seen.
    Turner is nowhere that level. Very few players ever have been.
    Barry Sanders clone?
    I prefer a BIG BACK
  • Options
    DomicilloDomicillo Member Posts: 3,025
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

You can be a bigger safety like Kam Chancellor ... but your point about size is a fair one

That being said, what does Defensive football look like in 5 years as athletic TEs become more and more the norm?

Hybrid DBs/LBs likely become more of a norm

Yup as long as Stanford is gonna keep calling their 6’7 WRs “TEs”, there is a role for bigger DBs.
  • Options
    BreadBread Member Posts: 3,983
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    AF9705 said:

Ok you have convinced me! Between Turner and Trice we have finally replaced Feeney and Littleton. Now we will be unstoppable!
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

It's only a matter of time before power running makes a comeback due to defense slimming down to defend the spread. Seeing it in the NFL some already

For all the talk about what a great passer Tua is Bama still wants to run the ball. And Clemson still relies on Etiane when the going gets tough

You have to run and you have to stop the run to win football games = Captain Obvious here

Race weren’t you present when the prophet Mohammed said that running football will lead to wins? It was true then, now, and in the future