Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Meanwhile at UCLA...

13»

Comments

• Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,797
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

The upside for UCLA fans is these are the kids who will lay the foundation and set the culture... Problem is, if they don't win enough, then you have a shit foundation and losing culture. This could be tire fire unlike we've ever seen.

There is no upside for any D1 progrum, yet alone a P5 program, to offer a scholarship and take a commitment from a kid whose only other offers is Colorado School of Mines, New Mexico Directional University, and Black Hill State.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Chip's ego has gotten in the way
  • Options
    TacoSoupTacoSoup Member Posts: 148
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited December 2018

The upside for UCLA fans is these are the kids who will lay the foundation and set the culture... Problem is, if they don't win enough, then you have a shit foundation and losing culture. This could be tire fire unlike we've ever seen.

There is no upside for any D1 progrum, yet alone a P5 program, to offer a scholarship and take a commitment from a kid whose only other offers is Colorado School of Mines, New Mexico Directional University, and Black Hill State.
    I can't disagree with that. I was looking at the totality of the class. To play devil's advocate, UW had guys commit who had some pretty low end offer list in the first couple classes. Let me be clear, I'm not defending Chip on this (OH GOD I'M GOING TO GET BURIED)
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,797
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited December 2018

I can't disagree with that. I was looking at the totality of the class. To play devil's advocate, UW had guys commit who had some pretty low end offer list in the first couple classes. Let me be clear, I'm not defending Chip on this (OH GOD I'M GOING TO GET BURIED)
    We didn’t offer someone whose best offer was a D2 progrum tho.

Also get an avatar, faggot!
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs
    edited December 2018

Now that Chip isn't at Oregon anymore I like him. He doesn't give a fuck about star ratings at all and loves being the smartest guy in the room who signs mostly 2 and 3 star hidden gems and then wins with them. I have no idea if it's gonna work at UCLA but it's gonna be fun to watch. Hope he kicks USC's ass with a bunch of kids nobody recruited. I also hope he didn't just get a late bloomer steal from our own back yard.

College football has evolved. You used to be able to win using the spread with inferior talent. You can’t anymore, as teams have evolved to stop it. Chip’s problem is, he still thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room. Chip is using the IPhone 4, which was great years ago, now other coaches have the IPhone max. Chip is now behind, but is too stubborn to see that.

I think you're jealous because the best coach Oregon has ever had is now at UCLA and you desperately want him to fail like a lover scorned. Grow up.
    Chip is the best coach Oregon has ever had. That isn’t saying much, considering our second best coach was mediocre Mike. Chip was great, but that’s the key word. Chip was still pulling 4 and 5 star guys, remember Deanthony Thomas? He’s pulling in 2 and 3 star guys at UCLA. He should be getting better classes UCLA than he ever got at Oregon. Chip also coached during a time of a down USC and a dreck Washington. Mario is pulling in better recruits with more competition than what Chip had. 2 and 3 star guys will not make UCLA a consistent winner. Washington, Oregon, WSU, and Stanford will be the best 4 teams in the conference for the foreseeable future. When was the last time we could say that before this year?

Grow up? El Oh El, that’s ironic. Coming from the token retard

If I recall, Chipper hated recruiting. Like really hated it. It does not seem out of the realm of possibility to me he came back and decided fuck it I'm not recruiting anyone who likes to be recruited. Look at the guys he went after:

Sean Rhyan (HAS NO TWITTER) and Bru McCoy (insanely elite dude at skill position from his backyard).

Seems stupid with how much easily accessible Cali talent there is for him but to each their own I guess
    That’s true, but it doesn’t make it any less dumb. Chip had trouble against good teams with 4 and 5 star players at Oregon. What is he going to do with 2 and 3 star guys at UCLA? He is directly in a hot bed of college football recruiting. It should be easy to recruit in Los Angeles if he just gave it the slightest bit of effort.
    He ran off a third of his roster and started a true freshman QB and a bunch of other young guys. UCLA got better as the season went on and beat the 4 and 5 star studded USC Trojans with a much less talented starting lineup. Chip is a great coach. He just prefers recruits with less ego. You can win that way if you're great at evaluating talent which Chip is. Fresno State is better than half the teams in the Pac-12 because like Chip, Jeff Tedford is a really good coach and really good at finding under the radar guys. I think Chip will get UCLA rolling and they'll be the team to beat in the South in a couple years and then they'll start getting some more high profile recruits like he did at Oregon. If you build it, they will come.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Now that Chip isn't at Oregon anymore I like him. He doesn't give a fuck about star ratings at all and loves being the smartest guy in the room who signs mostly 2 and 3 star hidden gems and then wins with them. I have no idea if it's gonna work at UCLA but it's gonna be fun to watch. Hope he kicks USC's ass with a bunch of kids nobody recruited. I also hope he didn't just get a late bloomer steal from our own back yard.

College football has evolved. You used to be able to win using the spread with inferior talent. You can’t anymore, as teams have evolved to stop it. Chip’s problem is, he still thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room. Chip is using the IPhone 4, which was great years ago, now other coaches have the IPhone max. Chip is now behind, but is too stubborn to see that.

I think you're jealous because the best coach Oregon has ever had is now at UCLA and you desperately want him to fail like a lover scorned. Grow up.
    Chip is the best coach Oregon has ever had. That isn’t saying much, considering our second best coach was mediocre Mike. Chip was great, but that’s the key word. Chip was still pulling 4 and 5 star guys, remember Deanthony Thomas? He’s pulling in 2 and 3 star guys at UCLA. He should be getting better classes UCLA than he ever got at Oregon. Chip also coached during a time of a down USC and a dreck Washington. Mario is pulling in better recruits with more competition than what Chip had. 2 and 3 star guys will not make UCLA a consistent winner. Washington, Oregon, WSU, and Stanford will be the best 4 teams in the conference for the foreseeable future. When was the last time we could say that before this year?

Grow up? El Oh El, that’s ironic. Coming from the token retard

If I recall, Chipper hated recruiting. Like really hated it. It does not seem out of the realm of possibility to me he came back and decided fuck it I'm not recruiting anyone who likes to be recruited. Look at the guys he went after:

Sean Rhyan (HAS NO TWITTER) and Bru McCoy (insanely elite dude at skill position from his backyard).

Seems stupid with how much easily accessible Cali talent there is for him but to each their own I guess
    That’s true, but it doesn’t make it any less dumb. Chip had trouble against good teams with 4 and 5 star players at Oregon. What is he going to do with 2 and 3 star guys at UCLA? He is directly in a hot bed of college football recruiting. It should be easy to recruit in Los Angeles if he just gave it the slightest bit of effort.
    He ran off a third of his roster and started a true freshman QB and a bunch of other young guys. UCLA got better as the season went on and beat the 4 and 5 star studded USC Trojans with a much less talented starting lineup. Chip is a great coach. He just prefers recruits with less ego. You can win that way if you're great at evaluating talent which Chip is. Fresno State is better than half the teams in the Pac-12 because like Chip, Jeff Tedford is a really good coach and really good at finding under the radar guys. I think Chip will get UCLA rolling and they'll be the team to beat in the South in a couple years and then they'll start getting some more high profile recruits like he did at Oregon. If you build it, they will come.
    How many Pac 12 titles did Tedford win? If you’re comparing Chip to Tedford, Chip’s in trouble.