Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Meanwhile at USC...

Comments

• Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

dawgs206 said:

https://247sports.com/college/usc/Season/2019-Football/Commits/

Take a look at their current commits. The bottom half of their class is not good and the top half is nothing special. They'll definitely close with a handful of big targets cause they're SC, but fans are going to be scared in a few days when they only 11-13 LOI's in. Tufono is their 3rd highest rated commit currently. This class sucks. If they land 80% of the top rated recruits they're after they'll still only finish around 10th based on class calculator.

The number of commits is the problem. Oregon and UW are going to sign close to all 20 of their commits during early signing period. That means UW and Oregon can use all their resources on 5-6 kids, whereas USC is going to be spread thin for about 12-13 prospects. Not having a bowl game helps USC on that end, but it's still going to be difficult for them. Add to the fact that Kliff could possibly be poached by the NFL, USC may have to recruit kids when they don't even an OC. This is as bad as I've ever seen USC recruiting and I've been following it since around 2000.

This class could end up worse than the USC classes that were on probation.
    Kliff should be out in full force saying no on the NFL front if he really wants to stay at USC, but it appears he didn't want to wait it out. It's going to be very easy for programs to recruit against Kliff for the next 6 weeks because of all the rumors. Even if he's there one year, it's doubtful he stays more than one. Another fine move by Helton.
    Damaged goods IMO
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2018

dawgs206 said:

Take a look at their current commits. The bottom half of their class is not good and the top half is nothing special. They'll definitely close with a handful of big targets cause they're SC, but fans are going to be scared in a few days when they only 11-13 LOI's in. Tufono is their 3rd highest rated commit currently. This class sucks. If they land 80% of the top rated recruits they're after they'll still only finish around 10th based on class calculator.

I always look at the bottom of a class. This class is so amazing to me because there are no head scratchers. For our “worst” recruits to be Miki Ah Yu and Alphonzo Tuputala is so incredibly good and shows how much better we’ve gotten even compared to last years awesome class.

That being said, I would take Ah Yu and Tuputala any day of the week over Tufono. That means USC’s third highest recruit would be UDUB’s “worst” recruit. Think about that.
    Horn is probably our worst recruit, not just rating wise and not just because he’s a kicker but because he doesn’t appear to be a good kicker and kicker is one position I definitely do not “trust the coaches.”
    Recruiting kickers is all about luck. Look at Boswell for the Steelers. One of the better kickers the last couple years, this year he's about to be cut. Let's also not forget Aguayo. He wins the Groza award, and finishes his career as one of the best college kickers in history. He then gets drafted in the 2nd Round and after the worst pct. of any kicker that year, he gets waived and hasn't kicked a meaningful field goal sense.

These guys are such head cases, that you really can't predict how they'll turn out.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,979
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

dawgs206 said:

I always look at the bottom of a class. This class is so amazing to me because there are no head scratchers. For our “worst” recruits to be Miki Ah Yu and Alphonzo Tuputala is so incredibly good and shows how much better we’ve gotten even compared to last years awesome class.

That being said, I would take Ah Yu and Tuputala any day of the week over Tufono. That means USC’s third highest recruit would be UDUB’s “worst” recruit. Think about that.
    Horn is probably our worst recruit, not just rating wise and not just because he’s a kicker but because he doesn’t appear to be a good kicker and kicker is one position I definitely do not “trust the coaches.”
    Recruiting kickers is all about luck. It's such a mental position that you can't predict it. These guys can go from great to bust mid game. Look at Boswell for the Steelers. One of the better kickers the last couple years, this year he's about to be cut. Let's also not forget Aguayo. He wins the Groza award. Finishes his career as one of the best college kickers in history. He then gets drafted in the 2nd Round and after the worst pct. of any kicker that year, he gets waived and hasn't kicked a meaningful field goal sense.
    If horn could even just kick it for a touchback at this point that’s a massive improvement. Relieves our shitty coverage team of messing up the game.

This is assuming Gregory is still the special teams coach.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

dawgs206 said:

Recruiting kickers is all about luck. It's such a mental position that you can't predict it. These guys can go from great to bust mid game. Look at Boswell for the Steelers. One of the better kickers the last couple years, this year he's about to be cut. Let's also not forget Aguayo. He wins the Groza award. Finishes his career as one of the best college kickers in history. He then gets drafted in the 2nd Round and after the worst pct. of any kicker that year, he gets waived and hasn't kicked a meaningful field goal sense.
    If horn could even just kick it for a touchback at this point that’s a massive improvement. Relieves our shitty coverage team of messing up the game.

That's true about kickoffs. Leg strength says it all. But the actual art of kicking accuracy is just nuts.
  • Options
    dawgs206dawgs206 Member Posts: 482
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Photogenic
    edited December 2018

dawgs206 said:

The number of commits is the problem. Oregon and UW are going to sign close to all 20 of their commits during early signing period. That means UW and Oregon can use all their resources on 5-6 kids, whereas USC is going to be spread thin for about 12-13 prospects. Not having a bowl game helps USC on that end, but it's still going to be difficult for them. Add to the fact that Kliff could possibly be poached by the NFL, USC may have to recruit kids when they don't even an OC. This is as bad as I've ever seen USC recruiting and I've been following it since around 2000.

Agree. I said this in another thread. UW (and most of the Pac-12 - won't give you Oregon cause, well, check the decommitment thread over on the Refuge) will sign most/all of their commits on Wednesday. We'll? be able to go big after 3-4 commits while SC has half their class to fill out. I think this is going to be a big class for them too, right? The KK rumors are hilarious. If he leaves, hello Ford.

Edit- I went back and looked at the SC classes while on sanctions. They were still getting the best talent, just reduced numbers. In 2013 they only signed 13 kids, but they were all in the top 210 according to the 247 composite, which is nuts.
  • Options
    dawgs206 said:

dawgs206 said:

Agree. I said this in another thread. UW (and most of the Pac-12 - won't give you Oregon cause, well, check the decommitment thread over on the Refuge) will sign most/all of their commits on Wednesday. We'll? be able to go big after 3-4 commits while SC has half their class to fill out. I think this is going to be a big class for them too, right? The KK rumors are hilarious. If he leaves, hello Ford.
    We'll see on Wednesday. Once the kids sign they can't decommit. So unless something major happens between now and Wednesday, Oregon will have close to 20 commits locked up.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

dawgs206 said:

dawgs206 said:

We'll see on Wednesday. Once the kids sign they can't decommit. So unless something major happens between now and Wednesday, Oregon will have close to 20 commits locked up.
    You mean like Brandon Kaho ;)
    touche...touche

I'm hoping Cristobal puts some restraints on where the kids can go if that happens. I would make sure most of the top 25 are on that list.
  • Options
    LaMichael_CorleoneLaMichael_Corleone Member Posts: 1,316
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Name Dropper

dawgs206 said:

I’ll take your word for it if you know what I mean.
  • Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,959
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

When did we ever think USC would start going after “diamonds in the rough”?

It’s almost like Helton stole Mike Reilly’s recruiting playbook.

It’s comical. It’s like Helton hears the criticism of how he doesn’t win with 5 stars and instead of looking at the lack of development Sark ingratiated into that culture and that he has continued, he watches Pete’s signing day press conferences and says “Oh you’re right Pete, the reason I’m not winning is because Stars are overrated & we need to be better talent evaluators so we can find the Aaron Fullers of the world”.
    It’s not even that. I’ve listened to a few of the USC recruiting pods because I enjoy schadenfreud.

According to their lead recruiting editor, only Nansen and Martin were full time recruiters. They had 3 coaches who were part time recruiters and another 4 that didn’t recruit at all. Literally had other coaches build the relationships then when it came time to do in homes, they’d ask ok who am I visiting and what do they like. From a fucking position coach!

So all that is left is unheralded 3 stars with Mountain West offers.

When your team is winning and is USC it worked and they closed late. But when the team is 5-7 and fire half the staff and haven’t done any in season recruiting except two guys (one of which you fired), then you can’t close late just because it’s USC. Especially when UW and UO are closing early.

Edit: making it a TL:DR post.... read below.

Throw in the fact that they don’t practice in pads at all during the season to keep from injuries (hint: it’s Ivan, not practicing in pads), and it’s just a fucking shit show that is hilarious to watch.

All the guys who cover USC are exacerbated because no one is recruiting and they only do walk-thrus in practice and the schemes are pure shit that rely on out talenting people (aka Darnold go make a play or Daniels throw it up to St Brown or Pittman).

It’s fucking awesome to see, but won’t last forever. Which is why it’s so critical that Pete levels up now (which he is) and continues to do so. It’ll be a fair fight when they get a real coach in there because UW will be on every kids mind regardless of USC.
    *exasperated

(this is a learning safe board... we can change our minds when new information appears)
  • Options

It’s comical. It’s like Helton hears the criticism of how he doesn’t win with 5 stars and instead of looking at the lack of development Sark ingratiated into that culture and that he has continued, he watches Pete’s signing day press conferences and says “Oh you’re right Pete, the reason I’m not winning is because Stars are overrated & we need to be better talent evaluators so we can find the Aaron Fullers of the world”.
    It’s not even that. I’ve listened to a few of the USC recruiting pods because I enjoy schadenfreud.

According to their lead recruiting editor, only Nansen and Martin were full time recruiters. They had 3 coaches who were part time recruiters and another 4 that didn’t recruit at all. Literally had other coaches build the relationships then when it came time to do in homes, they’d ask ok who am I visiting and what do they like. From a fucking position coach!

When your team is winning and is USC it worked and they closed late. But when the team is 5-7 and fire half the staff and haven’t done any in season recruiting except two guys (one of which you fired), then you can’t close late just because it’s USC. Especially when UW and UO are closing early.

Throw in the fact that they don’t practice in pads at all during the season to keep from injuries (hint: it’s Ivan, not practicing in pads), and it’s just a fucking shit show that is hilarious to watch.

All the guys who cover USC are exacerbated because no one is recruiting and they only do walk-thrus in practice and the schemes are pure shit that rely on out talenting people (aka Darnold go make a play or Daniels throw it up to St Brown or Pittman).

It’s fucking awesome to see, but won’t last forever. Which is why it’s so critical that Pete levels up now (which he is) and continues to do so. It’ll be a fair fight when they get a real coach in there because UW will be on every kids mind regardless of USC.
    I kind of said it before. For the next 10 years Oregon/Washington might be a top tier national rivalry.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

I kind of said it before. For the next 10 years Oregon/Washington might be a top tier national rivalry.
    If Mario can coach.
  • Options

If Mario can coach.
    yep. LIPO
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537

dawgs206 said:

That's true about kickoffs. Leg strength says it all. But the actual art of kicking accuracy is just nuts.
    Kicking is just such so far in the dark ages... literally every kicker's "warm up" or prep is repeatedly kicking a ball into a net 3 yards away after doing some retarded step off and breathe like they are about to do a womens gymnastics floor routine.

You could take one of @PurpleJ's or @Tequilla's faggy soccer players that was just a bit too slow to play Div1 soccer and give them a summer of training and they would be able to do kickoffs through the endzone and make field goals better than half of "kickers" coming out of high school.

Hell, half the euros on the crew team could kick 50+ yard field goals after running ramps when I was there.

Its not rocket science, but a massive part is if you are a kid that is moderately athletic and coordinated you play a different position, or even a completely different sport.
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

dawgs206 said:

Recruiting kickers is all about luck. Look at Boswell for the Steelers. One of the better kickers the last couple years, this year he's about to be cut. Let's also not forget Aguayo. He wins the Groza award, and finishes his career as one of the best college kickers in history. He then gets drafted in the 2nd Round and after the worst pct. of any kicker that year, he gets waived and hasn't kicked a meaningful field goal sense.

These guys are such head cases, that you really can't predict how they'll turn out.
    Yes luck plays a big part because no one knows how these kids will react to missing a kick and losing a game. Starting with a kicker who is under 50% on field goals in HS is asking for an awful lot of luck though.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,803