Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Clock Mis-Managment

Comments

• MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Doogles said:

You want to build toughness and a culture of winning

They lost
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Disagree w OBK on this. Cristobal is trying to establish a different identity for this team. More smash mouth, less finesse. So he’s coaching the kids to go 100% between the whistles. Sometimes shit like last night is going to happen. And our midget secondary is a weakness ready to be exploited.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited September 2018

Oregon could have literally handed the ball off to Standford with 15~ seconds to go in the exact same spot with zero timeouts. Instead they gave it to them in the exact same spot with 1 minute to go and a time out.

It’s not as if Oregon had played a clean game up to that point handling the ball.

You can name the one time kneeling the game out didn’t work, I’ll show you the 5 million times it did.

Herberts first down ended the game.

I'll just say it again, because the first five fucking times didn't make it into your head: If you can't hand the ball off to your running back, it doesn't really fucking matter. Oregon is not going to the college football playoff this year; anybody who thought they had even a remote chance is fucking stupid. If you're Mario, you're trying to build something there. Like the guy said prior to the game, everything he learned from Saban, and though apparently he doesn't remember, everything he learned from Jimmy Johnson, is that you play to win. Playing to win means being aggressive… Not stupid aggressive, but aggressive. Aggressive enough so that you are not playing to lose. Handing the ball off to a running back in short yardage situations, where a first down ices the game, is simply not Stupid aggressive. Yeah the kids a freshman, but that kid averaged close to 6 yards per carry on the evening.

I get it. Second-guessing is fun. A few people do it better than the creep. But this particular second guessing is FS. Yeah, I have a man crush on Mario; he's a cane and he is handsome as fuck. But he also didn't fuck that up. There's a lot of season left to see whether he's a good or a bad coach. Last night is not an indication that he's a bad coach. You faggots have not been able to run the ball between the tackles without trickeration or misdirection or Mariotta for a very long fucking time. Last night you did it against Stanford. Last night, he had the team ready to play a solid opponent in the wake of a miserable and disastrous three-year stretch for the program.

And, as others have said, Oregon is not getting her urban Meyer or Nick Saban to show up anytime soon.
    AZDuck said:

Disagree w OBK on this. Cristobal is trying to establish a different identity for this team. More smash mouth, less finesse. So he’s coaching the kids to go 100% between the whistles. Sometimes shit like last night is going to happen. And our midget secondary is a weakness ready to be exploited.

Kneeling on the ball would not have erased anything they would have already achieved during that game. Remember the stop on 4th and 1? They’d be 1-0 with Stanford out of the way.

Leave it to the Pat Hills of the world to show how TUFF they are.

• AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    5 years of play-not-to-lose gets you a team with no emotion or heart that barely beats ASU at home. I’m okay with a coach edtablishing an identity. Having a philosophy and an identity is Thing 1.

Axe Chip Kelly.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Jake Browning lives for running backwards in the pocket. All of his hard work at that finally paid off.

Honest question: Shouldn't all of our? players be tackling and holding the opposing players? Holding doesn't reset the clock so why not just hold the entire play?
    Because holding gets declined and the clock stops.

That would actually be a terrible idea.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    AZDuck said:

5 years of play-not-to-lose gets you a team with no emotion or heart that barely beats ASU at home. I’m okay with a coach edtablishing an identity. Having a philosophy and an identity is Thing 1.

Axe Chip Kelly.

Winning is better than losing.

Hope this helps.
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Oregon could have literally handed the ball off to Standford with 15~ seconds to go in the exact same spot with zero timeouts. Instead they gave it to them in the exact same spot with 1 minute to go and a time out.

It’s not as if Oregon had played a clean game up to that point handling the ball.

You can name the one time kneeling the game out didn’t work, I’ll show you the 5 million times it did.

There aren't five million examples. No one calculates a late punt.
    Mosster47 said:

There aren't five million examples. No one calculates a late punt.
    There aren’t 10 million examples of teams kneeling the game to death and then punting it in to oblivion?

Yeah. That never happens.

AZDuck said:

Axe Chip Kelly.

The “new identity” was already established in the first 59 minutes.

You think they kneel on the ball, beat one of the conf favorites, this team then emotionally folds the rest of the season because they didn’t prove how tough they are on 2nd and 2? Or can’t get a 2nd and 2 somewhere down the road because they didn’t try in week one vs Stanford?

Oh ok.

That wasn’t fucking, practice.
    You're a troll, I get it, so you say stupid shit on purpose.

No one kneels there. You kneel when it's mathematical over. If Oregon kneels three times they have to punt against a 10 man rush with a 15 yard snap and the worst football player on the team catching it.

If Stanford stops Oregon on third down then of course you punt. Here is how FS stupid fans are. Zero people have complained about the 8 yard run on first down, but trying to get a 2 yard run on second down was a terrible idea. GTFOutta here.

Here is the FS equivalent: You hop in your car to run to the corner store and you get in an accident and die. Your FS family members wonder why you didn't just walk? Well because no adult with a car walks to stores and you could have been run over by a car walking and they'd wonder why you didn't drive.
    He

Mosster47 said:

AZDuck said:

Axe Chip Kelly.

You think they kneel on the ball, beat one of the conf favorites, this team then emotionally folds the rest of the season because they didn’t prove how tough they are on 2nd and 2? Or can’t get a 2nd and 2 somewhere down the road because they didn’t try in week one vs Stanford?

Oh ok.

This is gold coming from you
    I don’t think he’s doing it “on purpose”

• DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,461
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2018
    Mosster47 said:

AZDuck said:

Axe Chip Kelly.

Oh ok.

No one kneels there. You kneel when it's mathematical over. If Oregon kneels three times they have to punt against a 10 man rush with a 15 yard snap and the worst football player on the team catching it.

If Stanford stops Oregon on third down then of course you punt. Here is how FS stupid fans are. Zero people have complained about the 8 yard run on first down, but trying to get a 2 yard run on second down was a terrible idea. GTFOutta here.

Here is the FS equivalent: You hop in your car to run to the corner store and you get in an accident and die. Your FS family members wonder why you didn't just walk? Well because no adult with a car walks to stores and you could have been run over by a car walking and they'd wonder why you didn't drive.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqv48MwEbaQ

The only thing wrong in your statement is it would be an 11-man rush, like the Michigan State game.
    Doogles said:

Mosster47 said:

AZDuck said:

Axe Chip Kelly.

Oh ok.

Exactly. That's what Jim Harbaugh does who is the worst game manager of modern era football.
  • ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,512
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Doogles said:

Mosster47 said:

AZDuck said:

Axe Chip Kelly.

Oh ok.

The only thing wrong in your statement is it would be an 11-man rush, like the Michigan State game.
    Michigan sending the fucking gunner out unopposed to the strong side on that clip will never not be great