Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Neighbor just bought a Tesla....

SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Founders Club
edited August 2018 in Tug Tavern
Weird moving out of the trailer park and into a neighborhood where people buy sort of expensive things. Anyway, he calls me over to look at the car and it was nicer than I expected. One of the new Model 3's, but I guess he bought all the upgraded shit there is to buy on it. Think he paid about 65K or so. Really spartan interior. Like completely clean and no knobs or switches basically anywhere. Just a big ass laptop screen between the driver and passenger sides.

I wonder if Tesla will make it, or if in 10 years when the car is broken there will be no support at all for it. Still a nicer car than I expected. YMMV

Comments

• Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    One more thing...he was geeking out over all the tech and I did think it was cool that you can start the AC from your cell phone 20 minutes before you get to the car and step into a fully climate controlled environment immediately. That was cool. But Elon Musk is a fag.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,821
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye said:

One more thing...he was geeking out over all the tech and I did think it was cool that you can start the AC from your cell phone 20 minutes before you get to the car and step into a fully climate controlled environment immediately. That was cool. But Elon Musk is a fag.

Elon Musk is a total fag but you've got to give respect for his closing skills. You just know Amber Heard was some batshit crazy rebound sex after she split from Johnny Depp.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,301
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Saw that Musk may take Tesla private which indicates the board may be ready to ask him to LEAVE
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Saw that Musk may take Tesla private which indicates the board may be ready to ask him to LEAVE

I don't think he'd get over the 50% for majority seats on the board. But ok!
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,301
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Stick to burger flipping
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    Got to ride in a friends new Model 3. It was pretty tight. But I’m not really a car guy, so I’d drop all the bells and whistles and keep the electric motor. #SaveTheWhales
  • Options

Got to ride in a friends new Model 3. It was pretty tight. But I’m not really a car guy, so I’d drop all the bells and whistles and keep the electric motor. #SaveTheWhales

Neither is Musk.

The Big Boys like Ford and GM just need more tim to get their own electric motors in there.

• Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325

Neither is Musk.

The Big Boys like Ford and GM just need more tim to get their own electric motors in there.

I’m banking on Ford. If they turn their production capacity into an electric model that is “cool” and reasonably priced, it will be everywhere. Didn’t the Ford CEO subtweet Musk basically saying they make as many cars in a few hours as it takes Tesla to make in a week? But it’s all about the battery tech...
  • Options

Neither is Musk.

I’m banking on Ford. If they turn their production capacity into an electric model that is “cool” and reasonably priced, it will be everywhere. Didn’t the Ford CEO subtweet Musk basically saying they make as many cars in a few hours as it takes Tesla to make in a week? But it’s all about the battery tech...
    Totally - the Chinese are heavy into lithium storage devices and their supply dwarfs the US.

Fortunately, Australia doesn't hate the US - yet - so supply will be fine. That puts Ford in a competitive spot but my bet is China will be the leader in battery tech for the foreseeable future. Musk is a wannabe.

• Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,543
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Elon is a badass..
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Alexis said:

I have a buddy (CSB) who has a Tesla. It's pretty damn quick. But any car that you stand next to and can't tell if it's running or not is not for me.

There are electric cars that can hit well over 300 mph in a 1/4 Mile. It makes sense as there are no gears. Just like your electric drill, max power in less than a 1/2 second.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

True. Tommy is more of a gun and bunker guy.
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,224
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Neither is Musk.

I hate the fact that Tesla received the billions and billions of dollars from an Obama controlled government. Whether you like or hate Tesla or Musk, they/he abused the shit out of the American tax payer and used a lot of the money to get a massive head start over their competitors in the form of charging infrastructure. Will Ford have a proprietary charging infrastructure like Tesla? This is the issue I never see discussed in these debates. Ford et al have a major hill to climb in figuring this component out. Rather than hate the haters, w

Neither is Musk.

I hate that Tesla received the billions and billions of dollars from an Obama government. Whether you like or hate Tesla or Musk, they/he abused the shit out of the American tax payer and used a lot of the money to get a massive head start over their competitors in the form of charging infrastructure. Will Ford have a proprietary charging infrastructure like Tesla? This is the issue I never see discussed in these debates. Ford et al have a major hill to climb in figuring this component out. But rather than sit back and bitch about what Obama was doing, I took the money he was offering, put it to work and have saved something like $70,000 over almost 3 years.

$25,000 solar rebate
    $15,000 PG&E savings
    $15,000 gasoline savings
    $15,000 EV federal and state rebate

• Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,237
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Weird moving out of the trailer park and into a neighborhood where people buy sort of expensive things. Anyway, he calls me over to look at the car and it was nicer than I expected. One of the new Model 3's, but I guess he bought all the upgraded shit there is to buy on it. Think he paid about 65K or so. Really spartan interior. Like completely clean and no knobs or switches basically anywhere. Just a big ass laptop screen between the driver and passenger sides.

I wonder if Tesla will make it, or if in 10 years when the car is broken there will be no support at all for it. Still a nicer car than I expected. YMMV

Have a buddy that bought a "salvage" Tesla for about half the price. Things are considered totaled if anything even minimal happens to them because they are impossible to work on and the parts are so expensive. So basically they have to be replaced entirely every few years but yeah, sure, they're "good" for the environment.
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,224
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Have a buddy that bought a "salvage" Tesla for about half the price. Things are considered totaled if anything even minimal happens to them because they are impossible to work on and the parts are so expensive. So basically they have to be replaced entirely every few years but yeah, sure, they're "good" for the environment.
    That's just not true. Somebody hit me on I-5, at a dead stop, going 65mph. Not only did the structure of the vehicle save me and my 10 year old son from serious injury, the frame was not bent and the more than $37,000 in damages (almost the entire rear of the vehicle) did not cause the insurance company to total it. Now, having this kind of damage repaired takes forever due to a lack of certified repair shops and demand for parts. It took 2 months to replace a broken window due to break in which was brutal. I get your point though about the environmental argument but then again I'm not a AGW believer so relatively speaking I don't give a fuck.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,486
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    salemcoog said:

Alexis said:

I have a buddy (CSB) who has a Tesla. It's pretty damn quick. But any car that you stand next to and can't tell if it's running or not is not for me.

There are electric cars that can hit well over 300 mph in a 1/4 Mile. It makes sense as there are no gears. Just like your electric drill, max power in less than a 1/2 second.
    No there are not. Get out of here with that bs.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,183
    Men don't drive cars

HTH