Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

AUB vs Wash - Week 1 starting OL ...

So, how's UWs OL shaping up? Injuries? I know you all thought Adams wouldn't play ... but what these trainers can do, with the likes of a torn ACL, has gotten to the point where
these players can come back earlier than expected. We had our third and fourth best WR tear their ACLs back in April and they were out practicing yesterday ... Coaches say they expect them back at some point in the season.

Here's a bit of info on our OL (which if I had to say ... would be our biggest concern)

The Center position would've gone to a highly touted redshirt freshmen (Brahms) but he broke his leg. Jr Kaleb Kim (former 4 star who hasn't lived up to his billing) was slated to start their.
However yesterday we got word that they moved our most experienced OL (RG Mike Horton) to Center. We had a bit of a log jam at RT (Grad transfer Driskoll, 5* RF Ashley & RF Austin Troxell were battling it out) but this actually makes a lot of sense when you're talking about "Best 5".

Now, this is based off the first practice of Fall camp .. But I think If I had to bet, our starting OL would be (From LT -RT):
Tega Wongo, Harrell, Horton, Ashley, Driskoll. I'm going with Driskoll at RT over the highly recruited Troxell based on experience.

Wongo - freak but cost us dearly in the Clemson game. Played one year of HS ball, redshirted then started against arguably the best DL in college football last year. Gave up several sacks.
He lost his job after week 2 but came on towards the end of the year and earned it back.
LG Harrell - He and Horton started several games last year, we feel very good about our guards (well, we feel good about Harrell and Horton)

C Horton - I like this move a lot, it lets 5* Ashley move inside to allow Driskoll and Troxell to battle at RT.

RG Ashley - Uber talented, offered by every school ... BUT .... 1st game against a great Defense (Sounds like Tega from last year ) we'll see how he holds up

RT Driskoll - UMass grad started many games on that level, but coaches raved about him in the Spring and he held his own against Miss State last year (didn't give up a sack) ..
MSU has a nasty DL which is ranked in the Top 3 of the SEC this year ... highlighted by the 5 star Jr Jeffrey Simmons a.k.a. the woman beater who Driskoll went head to head with often in that game

As an Auburn fan, I feel more comfortable about this group than I would with Kim starting at Center. I think Brahms could've been a 4 year starter ... but with him out, I'm glad the coaches have explored this instead of just settling for Kim at C.

Let me know about the poor souls on your OL that will have to face our DL (I'm sure some of you fags like @CuntWaffle feel the same about your DL vs our OL)

Comments

• Options
    DawgWagonDanDawgWagonDan Member Posts: 789
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited August 2018
    War Beagle too fysical for our? dawgies...
  • Options
    AuburnFanAuburnFan Member Posts: 173
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    NEsnake12 said:

Watch out for Center, he’s ready to rumble

who's the Center?

Average about 332 lbs across the entire line. Our boys have the attitude and are ready to rumble.

Also hurtful.

I remember one year we played Wisconsin in a year that their OL avg more weight than the Packers ... we beat them pretty bad.

I showed you mine .... show me yours ... what's the latest scoop on Adams? and IF he might play, how close to 100%?
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    This will be Center's first year at right guard, but we expect the transition to go smooth.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    AuburnFan said:

NEsnake12 said:

Watch out for Center, he’s ready to rumble

who's the Center?

Average about 332 lbs across the entire line. Our boys have the attitude and are ready to rumble.

Also hurtful.

I remember one year we played Wisconsin in a year that their OL avg more weight than the Packers ... we beat them pretty bad.

I showed you mine .... show me yours ... what's the latest scoop on Adams? and IF he might play, how close to 100%?
    He ahead of schedule on rehab, but don’t think the coaches will let him play that dline right away. If your coaches are worth a shit, I would line up ur best DT against the center
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,443
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Stiffy er Stidham will lead AU to 17 points

• Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,536
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm hearing they are relishing the challenge, but also wondering how many hits Browning can actually withstand. Kind of like the owl and the tootsie pop.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    Swaye's Wigwam
    They are being semi optimistic with Adams, but I doubt they risk him in a non P12 game against your front if he's not 100.

Not only would it be devastating to lose him again, if he's not in full form and gets abused on tape against your guys' all stars it could affect his draft status. Seems like a worst case scenario lose-lose for player and team.

• Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Our center is an undersized converted guard who was forced into starting as a TF and got absolutely abused in pass protection against USC, Bama.

He's great when we run and his natural position is C so this will be another trial by fire moment for him. Hopefully he won't be as exposed in this roll and his agility will inspire us to RUN THE BALL
  • Options
    DawgWagonDanDawgWagonDan Member Posts: 789
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Hey @AuburnFan do the warbeagles still hit in summer camp or do they practice with helmets off like our? flacid pac 12 teams out here? #aupurntoofysical
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,443
    Swaye's Wigwam
    UCLA and USC are practicing fall camp in 90-100 degree weather even without Mora taking the Bruins to San Bernardino

Even worse down south when you add the high humidity. That's what makes men out of boys.

I realize Seattle is baking in near 80 degree weather but it isn't the same
  • Options

UCLA and USC are practicing fall camp in 90-100 degree weather even without Mora taking the Bruins to San Bernardino

Even worse down south when you add the high humidity. That's what makes men out of boys.

I realize Seattle is baking in near 80 degree weather but it isn't the same

pffft .... we're playing in an air conditioned dome :(
  • Options

Hey @AuburnFan do the warbeagles still hit in summer camp or do they practice with helmets off like our? flacid pac 12 teams out here? #aupurntoofysical

It's only 95 with high humidity hear .... so coach tries to get their balls to drop by going inside with the heat on.
    Yore Skrwduh
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    AuburnFan said:

It's only 95 with high humidity hear .... so coach tries to get their balls to drop by going inside with the heat on.
    Yore Skrwduh
    It could be 40 degrees and raining and we'd still be screwed. Do you know our QB? Let me introduce you.