Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

AUB vs Wash - Week 1 starting OL ...

13»

Comments

• DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,545 Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

From Jood
    — For the second day in a row, senior LT Trey Adams got a few early reps with the No. 1 offense during team periods, and then gave way to junior Henry Roberts for the rest of the team reps.

This is called monitoring Trey's workload to ensure that he's built up for the start of the season barring setbacks … nothing to see there.

The bigger development is that Roberts is getting 1st team reps … my guess is that he's going to move inside in about 1-2 weeks once Trey ramps up a bit so that they can see if he's the right fit at RG.
    No doubt It's a good sign he's on the field, but if Adams was truly going to be starting LT during the opener they would be working Roberts in at guard, It's great Roberts is starting to gain traction with this staff and getting reps with the 1s, but he is not on Trey's level.

It's still early so we'll see how camp progresses, and for all we know Pete is playing coy and during the closed media practices Trey will be exclusively with the 1s and Roberts will get starter reps elsewhere.
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,839
    AuburnFan said:

I tried to make a serious response earlier but the board ate it. Which goes to show how far the board will go to avoid higher level discussion. @AuburnFan

It all hinges on Adams being healthy. With a healthy Adams anchoring the left side with Watty the line could hold its own. Without Adams whichever guard gets moved out to LT will likely be turnstiled all night and our interior will be weaker as well due to having to replace our best guard. The run game won't get going and we will get mopey Jack Browning going 3 and out all night.

Adams-Wattenberg-Harris-Bainivalu/James-McGary is the lineup.

Adams, Sr- 4-year starter, athletic, physical specimen. Potential top-10 pick next year if back to full strength.

Watty, rSo- forced to fill in at LT for Adams for the last half of 2017 did OK despite his lack of experience and playing outside his natural guard position.

Harris, Jr- big plusses and minuses. Great in the run game because he moves so well and is aggressive as fuck finishing blocks but has been a liability against physical teams in pass pro since he is so undersized. General consensus that the move from guard to C will help some in pass pro.

Bain, rFr- Hoping he takes this spot from senior JAG James just because James sucks and all the other depth sucks. A tackle after Adams and McGary leave. Recovering from back issues.

McGary, rSr- our other bookend 4 year starter and another country-strong physical specimen but not nearly as athletic or smooth as Adams. Can get beat badly at times but will be at minimum a mid-round draft pick.

With Adams out or limited the options are either to slide Watty outside like they did last year and replace him with Bain, James, or Sossebee or insert Bain at LT and keep everyone else the same. In camp they've been running with Bain at LT we will see if he is ready for Auburn in his first ncaa game.

Good stuff. I would like to see the matchup of Adams vs Davidson and Moultry (we rotate a lot ... but these two are both 5* guys) Davidson projected as a 1st rounder and Moultry was a freak last year as a true freshman playing behind Jeff Holland.
    Our DL coach says that TD Moultry is better than Carl Lawson who starts for the Bengals now.

Our D Line:

SDE - Davidson Jr - Has been a force since his freshman year, we'll go pro early after this season
    DT - Russel Sr - Started every game since a Freshman, doesn't get the recognition he deserves by being sandwiched in between 3 5*s but he was a highly recruited player in HS as well (4*)
    DT - Derrick Brown Jr - Stud DT that will also go pro after this year 5*
    WDE/Buck - TD Moultry - 5* True Freshman who played on this talented DL last year ... played more towards the end of the year ... some think he could contend for Auburn's All Time sack leader

2nd string
    Coe 5* who played well against Bama and UGA in the rotation last year
    Williams Sr played in every game for 3 years in rotation
    Truesdell 4* SO
    Bryant 4* highly rated ... going to be the next big time DE.

You can see why I get boners over our DL.

at LB we're as stacked at all three positions. Anchored by 2 Srs and we had one of the best LB recruiting classes in the country last year ... those guys are SO now.

We're very excited about our CBs one full time starter and one guy who started a few games but played in all.
    One experienced S who had 2 Ints against Bama and one that's a Jr ... more concerned about Safety depth (2nd string are both Tr Fr ... both highly recruited 4*s)

Clemson might have a SLIGHT ... SLIGHT lead over us for the best DL in college football ... but it's debatable. But we have the best overall Front 7 in CFB ... even over Bama ....

The only reason we're not ranked in the top 3 with a stud QB is the question marks about our OL ... which I addressed in another thread.
    I love how he only mentions stars never any production.
  • AuburnFanAuburnFan Member Posts: 173
    @backthepack Well how about you watch our defensive cut ups from the two teams who played in the National Title game (we beat both of them).
    8-9 of these guys return

https://youtu.be/mM35agCrySU
    https://youtu.be/1z-3dLpi-Fw
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,839
    AuburnFan said:

@backthepack Well how about you watch our defensive cut ups from the two teams who played in the National Title game (we beat both of them).
    8-9 of these guys return

https://youtu.be/mM35agCrySU
    https://youtu.be/1z-3dLpi-Fw

You also got buttplugged by UCF and LSU.
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    AuburnFan said:

Tequilla said:

From Jood
    — For the second day in a row, senior LT Trey Adams got a few early reps with the No. 1 offense during team periods, and then gave way to junior Henry Roberts for the rest of the team reps.

This is called monitoring Trey's workload to ensure that he's built up for the start of the season barring setbacks … nothing to see there.

The bigger development is that Roberts is getting 1st team reps … my guess is that he's going to move inside in about 1-2 weeks once Trey ramps up a bit so that they can see if he's the right fit at RG.
    Man you'd fit right in with our message board with that sunshine pumping. I took that as, they're moving him along … but there's no way in hell that guy is 100% if he can't finish a practice/they won't let him finish a practice with 3 weeks before week 1. He may start … but I doubt he's 90%. Tough test to face for week 1 for him. But he could be better (and probably is) better at 80% than the next guy.

We had two slot receivers tear their ACLs in March. They were running routes and cutting while running routes in practice Mon and Tues. But they won't be back until Mid season. They've got to start now, to catch up and be in game shape … but nowhere near ready.
    Adams had surgery last October but still.

Also:
    You say sunshine pumper, we say Doog.
    Your cookout is our Ribs and Rickshaw
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    AuburnFan said:

Tequilla said:

From Jood

Man you'd fit right in with our message board with that sunshine pumping. I took that as, they're moving him along … but there's no way in hell that guy is 100% if he can't finish a practice/they won't let him finish a practice with 3 weeks before week 1. He may start … but I doubt he's 90%. Tough test to face for week 1 for him. But he could be better (and probably is) better at 80% than the next guy.

We had two slot receivers tear their ACLs in March. They were running routes and cutting while running routes in practice Mon and Tues. But they won't be back until Mid season. They've got to start now, to catch up and be in game shape … but nowhere near ready.
    Pete doesn’t run his 1st string hard during practices ... there’s a lot of positional work that gets done and then some team work in both 7x7 and 11x11 ... it’s usually a priority to ensure that guys are either staying or getting healthy

So yes, I get that there is probably some “glass half full” into my comments ... but my expectation is that until Trey is declared out for Auburn then he is playing
    Tequilla said:

AuburnFan said:

Tequilla said:

From Jood

Pete doesn’t run his 1st string hard during practices ... there’s a lot of positional work that gets done and then some team work in both 7x7 and 11x11 ... it’s usually a priority to ensure that guys are either staying or getting healthy

So yes, I get that there is probably some “glass half full” into my comments ... but my expectation is that until Trey is declared out for Auburn then he is playing
    Oh I think he will too ... the questions is how close to 100% is he ... this game is too important to not have your best player out on the field.
    Obviously the guys health is the most important thing .... but as long as he's at 70% or better, he'll be out there. We'll know half way through the first Qtr if he's limited or not. Seriously though a 100% Adams vs Davidson Moultry and Coe would be worth the price of admission alone.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    The only place where I think Adams will be less than 100% will be his stamina ... his injury was mid-October last year ... so you are looking at 10+ months for rehab time
    Tequilla said:

The only place where I think Adams will be less than 100% will be his stamina ... his injury was mid-October last year ... so you are looking at 10+ months for rehab time

Exactly ... Rotating 3 stud DEs .... will he be up to their level of endurance?
    Not going to lie .... I shit a brick when I saw this at lunch .....
    Then about an hour later they said he was fine. Might miss a day of practice. Thought he had a neck injury and slapped the neck brace
    and went to the hospital as precaution. All tests came back negative.
  • Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member Posts: 2,911
    AuburnFan said:

Then about an hour later they said he was fine. Might miss a day of practice. Thought he had a neck injury and slapped the neck brace
    Just wait until The Darkness takes him.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter

AuburnFan said:

Just wait until The Darkness takes him.

Or

??