Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

What ARE the unfair trade practices Trump is bitching about endlessly?

ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
It looks to me that US businesses have historically been parking their money in Europe to avoid taxes...

But in all of his bitching, he never really says specifically what is unfair. So what the fuck is he bitching about? I want answer from people with at least a minor in economics or equivalent business acumen (read Wall Street Journal more than once a week). I don't want any motherfucking guesses.

Comments

• greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

It looks to me that US businesses have historically been parking their money in Europe to avoid taxes...

But in all of his bitching, he never really says specifically what is unfair. So what the fuck is he bitching about? I want answer from people with at least a minor in economics or equivalent business acumen (read Wall Street Journal more than once a week). I don't want any motherfucking guesses.

If I can pay employees $3.50 a day to make a widget, but you have to pay $13.00 an hour, who can sell their widgets for less?
  • UWerentThereManUWerentThereMan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,475
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    I’ve been in economics for a combined 30 years (importing and exporting). Think of it like this. Basically China doesn’t take back all the cheap shit they make that customers of Costco and Walmart return to the stores because it’s all cheap unarmenian made shit.

My plan would be to build a wall using a mixture of opioid addicts and discounted returned products from American retail centers.
  • ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904

I’ve been in economics for a combined 30 years (importing and exporting). Think of it like this. Basically China doesn’t take back all the cheap shit they make that customers of Costco and Walmart return to the stores because it’s all cheap unarmenian made shit.

My plan would be to build a wall using a mixture of opioid addicts and discounted returned products from American retail centers.

I don't think it's the cost of labor Trump is bitching about. It's intellectual property (IP) appropriation. I copied this summary below. So the focus of Trump's complaints is that he thinks they are stealing our* technology and trying to position themselves as the dominant country that way.

China uses foreign ownership restrictions, including joint venture requirements, equity limitations, and other investment restrictions, to require or pressure technology transfer from U.S. companies to Chinese entities. China also uses administrative review and licensing procedures to require or pressure technology transfer, which, inter alia, undermines the value of U.S. investments and technology and weakens the global competitiveness of U.S. firms.

China imposes substantial restrictions on, and intervenes in, U.S. firms’ investments and activities, including through restrictions on technology licensing terms. These restrictions deprive U.S. technology owners of the ability to bargain and set market-based terms for technology transfer. As a result, U.S. companies seeking to license technologies must do so on terms that unfairly favor Chinese recipients.

China directs and facilitates the systematic investment in, and acquisition of, U.S. companies and assets by Chinese companies to obtain cutting-edge technologies and intellectual property and to generate large-scale technology transfer in industries deemed important by Chinese government industrial plans.

China conducts and supports unauthorized intrusions into, and theft from, the computer networks of U.S. companies. These actions provide the Chinese government with unauthorized access to intellectual property, trade secrets, or confidential business information, including technical data, negotiating positions, and sensitive and proprietary internal business communications, and they also support China’s strategic development goals, including its science and technology advancement, military modernization, and economic development.

If I can pay employees $3.50 a day to make a widget, but you have to pay $13.00 an hour, who can sell their widgets for less?
    Well, true for China. But he is making the same bitching complaint at the G7 which doesn't include China. If anything American labor is cheaper than Europe.
    OK, I spent about an hour studying this issue, and it looks like, as usual, Trump is distorting the situation. With China he is mostly bitching about their attempts to steal our intellectual property by various means and positions themselves as a dominant tech power. When he is bitching about the yuuge deficit, he isn't including SERVICES. If you include services then it's not such an imbalance. But, since Trump knows he needs the Rust Belt vote, he is pandering to those voters and just including OBJECTS manufactured, but not services, to distort the issue... with Europe, he stupidly is including locally applied European taxes like VAT, claiming VAT overprices our products. But I think a buyer pays the same VAT for a local product, so while our products may appear overpriced, in fact they are competitive locally. The actual, present tariffs (until lately at least) are essentially the same between the US and the EU for the vast majority of cases. Trump, as usual, is distorting the situation making it looks like a few exceptions are the rule.
  • CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    troomps can’t compete so they must protect their dieing industries with tariffs. Scapegoating foreigners, even our closest allies, is the preferred trump alternative to having competitive skills and producing high value products. Winners win. Troomps bitch, moan and impose tariffs.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,659
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

troomps can’t compete so they must protect their dieing industries with tariffs. Scapegoating foreigners, even our closest allies, is the preferred trump alternative to having competitive skills and producing high value products. Winners win. Troomps bitch, moan and impose tariffs.

Winners win is the laziest comment perpetuated on this bored. Win and you are a winner. Gee, no kidding.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Well, true for China. But he is making the same bitching complaint at the G7 which doesn't include China. If anything American labor is cheaper than Europe.
    Mexican labor is much cheaper, which affects nafta

I’m sorry a Mexican stole your job.

Mexico not a G7 member.
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

This is Trump's explanation today.

We’re like the piggy bank that everybody’s robbing,” Trump said.
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

That's exactly why cutting taxes won't bring jobs back to America that Trump promised.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,724
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Already has loser
    Biggest national security threat to troomps: Canadians, Mexicans, and the EU.

Trump is a giant fucking pussy.
  • topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    The one area where I disagree with Trump.

He still believes that cars, manufacturing and other labor intensive jobs can make a come back in America.

if you look at the world through his lens, America was great when we built shit.

topdawgnc said:

He still believes that cars, manufacturing and other labor intensive jobs can make a come back in America.

if you look at the world through his lens, America was great when we built shit.

It won't be labor intensive anyway. It will be manufacturing with robotics.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    topdawgnc said:

He's not eh o my one who thinks that.

Amdn not sure he is entirely wrong about it.

The fact is, there are, and for the foreseeable future, will be, WAY more people who have no role in an Tech/services economy than those who do.

And our economic relations with china go well beyond IP theft.

Our exports go through vetting and more economically inefficient bullshit than you can shake a stick at.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

topdawgnc said:

He's not eh o my one who thinks that.

Amdn not sure he is entirely wrong about it.

The fact is, there are, and for the foreseeable future, will be, WAY more people who have no role in an Tech/services economy than those who do.

And our economic relations with china go well beyond IP theft.

Our exports go through vetting and more economically inefficient bullshit than you can shake a stick at.
    Fuck this damn phone!^