Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Stadium Default - Tax Bill

UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
That's going to fuck up donations bigly. Do they just raise ticket prices proportionally?

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,776
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    When I donated and when I stopped donating had nothing to do with deductions.

The rich need to pay their share is what I'm hearing
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

Not even saying I disagree with it, just wondering how much this is going to fuck up season tickets next year. Tickets that cost $500 plus a mandatory $750 donation are now $600 more expensive since the $750 is no longer deductible.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Question is, can you still deduct it on your business? Does this only end for your personal return? Most people I know run husky tickets through their business. Same with Seahawks and Mariners.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,776
    Swaye's Wigwam
    @CirrhosisDawg doesn't get to write off all of his golden state tax anymore either. Soak the rich baby!
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,077
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Looks like Row Boat won't be getting my $100.00 annual donation this year. Helps CAL IMO.

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,282
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2017
    2001400ex said:

Question is, can you still deduct it on your business? Does this only end for your personal return? Most people I know run husky tickets through their business. Same with Seahawks and Mariners.

I'm not an accountant, but if the business buys the tickets with the purpose of taking clients to games, I don't see why businesses can't deduct the proportion used for clients. I could be wrong...
  • Options
    CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary

@CirrhosisDawg doesn't get to write off all of his golden state tax anymore either. Soak the rich baby!

True. We do get to keep $10k property tax, mortgage interest, child and charity credits though. $200k gross or so looks like break even if you can take a healthy bight out of these deductions.

It could have been a lot worse given what was proposed...
  • Options

True. We do get to keep $10k property tax, mortgage interest, child and charity credits though. $200k gross or so looks like break even if you can take a healthy bight out of these deductions.

My taxable income will be $8k higher but taxed at a lower rate so I will save some money on the final package, mostly the child tax credit increase.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,555
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    since I am poor and no nothing about finances I will find a way to juggle the books like I do every year. no impact here
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    2001400ex said:

My taxable income will be $8k higher but taxed at a lower rate so I will save some money on the final package, mostly the child tax credit increase.
    Nobody cares about the hypothetical family you’re choosing to be today.
  • Options
    doogie said:

2001400ex said:

Nobody cares about the hypothetical family you’re choosing to be today.
    Sounds like you care.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    It's still cheaper to watch the games at home
  • Options
    CSEDawgCSEDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment Founders Club
    Founders Club

Not even saying I disagree with it, just wondering how much this is going to fuck up season tickets next year. Tickets that cost $500 plus a mandatory $750 donation are now $600 more expensive since the $750 is no longer deductible.
    You seem to need some help. A deduction from your taxes simply makes that money non-taxable. So a $750 donation, where $600 was previously non-taxable, does not cost you $600; it costs you the taxes you would owe on the $600. Unless your are FS, you are not paying 100% of your income to the federal government, so, at most, you are probably losing $200 at a 33.33% tax rate ... suggesting your make approx half a million per year.
    That being said I don't think that is your tax bracket. HTH.

All that being said ... everyone who thinks they are saving money with this tax bill is going to be surprised in a couple of years when the rates revert and they have lost a good portion of their deductions.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,970

You sound poor.

• Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,189
    edited December 2017
    I'm hearing big deals get done at UW vs Cal.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    CSEDawg said:

You seem to need some help. A deduction from your taxes simply makes that money non-taxable. So a $750 donation, where $600 was previously non-taxable, does not cost you $600; it costs you the taxes you would owe on the $600. Unless your are FS, you are not paying 100% of your income to the federal government, so, at most, you are probably losing $200 at a 33.33% tax rate ... suggesting your make approx half a million per year.
    That being said I don't think that is your tax bracket. HTH.

All that being said ... everyone who thinks they are saving money with this tax bill is going to be surprised in a couple of years when the rates revert and they have lost a good portion of their deductions.
    So by a couple years you mean like 8?