Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The Lake is Hurting UW Theory - STOp

Apologies in advance for a crazy long poast, it's in honor of the main perpetrator of this FS belief.

Can this whole "Jimmy Lake is damaged goods", "kids think he's leaving", etc. meme DIAFF?

There are lots of possibilities as to why the DB recruiting class has been slow to develop. But blaming Lake's perceived status is the kind of shit Doogman guys come up with because a) they don't really have any true insight b) it's easy to understand in a process that's very opaque, and c) to people who don't know any better it seems completely plausible.

Thus far the DB recruiting class hasn't been what was expected. But correlation isn't causation. There's zero proof it has anything to do with Lake's perceived status. Last year, everyone freaked the fuck out because he went radio silent for a week when there was a rumor that Cal wanted him. To many it certainly seemed like a real possibility and definitely bad optics. So wouldn't the DB recruits for that year get cold feet and change their mind? Nope, he still landed Molden, Taylor, and McKinney.

It didn't make a difference last year, but it's happening this year because why?

The whole concept is not really how it works recruiting wise. In general, coaches tend to be very careful to not be outwardly negative towards other programs or coaches. Not because they're especially moral, more because they worry that it makes them look bad and petty in the eyes of the kids and their parents. Guys don't want to get a rep as being a negative recruiter - it can hinder their chances of landing future kids as well as other jobs. At best some of these kids are possibly hearing some form of "hey, it's important that you have a coach that's not going to bolt on you" but it's highly unlikely that someone would call out a specific coach by name. And all the while Jimmy's certainly telling these kids "I'm not going anywhere".

Kids definitely bond with the recruiter and position coaches they click with, and that means they tend to believe and trust in them. You'd be hard pressed to find examples of kids getting cold feet over rumors of an assistant leaving. But tons of cases where kids went all in on a school even in spite of obvious signs the coach recruiting them might not be there for long, and sure enough that coach bolted shortly after signing. Look how many kids Demetrice Martin landed the last couple years despite constant rumors of him and/or Mora leaving. And then this year how many hung in with him, even after Mora was fired, right up until he was let go by Chip.

Most decent programs have coaches leaving on the reg or mentioned in rumors. Stanford's been losing 1-2 a year - their RB coach last year, OC this year - hasn't seemed to hinder their recruiting. Tee Martin is mentioned for just about every head coaching opening, often on National broadcasts. Yet somehow SC continues to land offensive players over other top tier schools. Fiesta Bowl opponent Pedo State replaced OC and RB coach and still has top 10 class. Hell, Brian Kelly cleared the deck last year replacing just about every assistant but ND shows no ill effects in landing kids.

There's a good chance this DB class won't end up being up to snuff. But it most likely would have a lot more to do with bigger picture UW recruiting issues than with rumors one coach may or may not be leaving soon.

Comments

• Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    The theory is just a theory. Up to him to make it go away.
  • Options
    DubSixGamerDubSixGamer Member Posts: 164
    5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Stop. Where the fuck u been. It's obviously Malloe that is not sealing the fucking deal.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    So you post a TL, DR post taking a shot at a theory I have but don’t have the balls to call me out by name ...

Enjoy your orange slices
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,568
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    There are some that think Lake’s flirting w Cal hurt recruiting this year. Just so, so FS. Not gonna name names. You know who you are.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    edited December 2017
    Saracen said:

Apologies in advance for a crazy long poast, it's in honor of the main perpetrator of this FS belief.

Can this whole "Jimmy Lake is damaged goods", "kids think he's leaving", etc. meme DIAFF?

There are lots of possibilities as to why the DB recruiting class has been slow to develop. But blaming Lake's perceived status is the kind of shit Doogman guys come up with because a) they don't really have any true insight b) it's easy to understand in a process that's very opaque, and c) to people who don't know any better it seems completely plausible.

Thus far the DB recruiting class hasn't been what was expected. But correlation isn't causation. There's zero proof it has anything to do with Lake's perceived status. Last year, everyone freaked the fuck out because he went radio silent for a week when there was a rumor that Cal wanted him. To many it certainly seemed like a real possibility and definitely bad optics. So wouldn't the DB recruits for that year get cold feet and change their mind? Nope, he still landed Molden, Taylor, and McKinney.

It didn't make a difference last year, but it's happening this year because why?

The whole concept is not really how it works recruiting wise. In general, coaches tend to be very careful to not be outwardly negative towards other programs or coaches. Not because they're especially moral, more because they worry that it makes them look bad and petty in the eyes of the kids and their parents. Guys don't want to get a rep as being a negative recruiter - it can hinder their chances of landing future kids as well as other jobs. At best some of these kids are possibly hearing some form of "hey, it's important that you have a coach that's not going to bolt on you" but it's highly unlikely that someone would call out a specific coach by name. And all the while Jimmy's certainly telling these kids "I'm not going anywhere".

Kids definitely bond with the recruiter and position coaches they click with, and that means they tend to believe and trust in them. You'd be hard pressed to find examples of kids getting cold feet over rumors of an assistant leaving. But tons of cases where kids went all in on a school even in spite of obvious signs the coach recruiting them might not be there for long, and sure enough that coach bolted shortly after signing. Look how many kids Demetrice Martin landed the last couple years despite constant rumors of him and/or Mora leaving. And then this year how many hung in with him, even after Mora was fired, right up until he was let go by Chip.

Most decent programs have coaches leaving on the reg or mentioned in rumors. Stanford's been losing 1-2 a year - their RB coach last year, OC this year - hasn't seemed to hinder their recruiting. Tee Martin is mentioned for just about every head coaching opening, often on National broadcasts. Yet somehow SC continues to land offensive players over other top tier schools. Fiesta Bowl opponent Pedo State replaced OC and RB coach and still has top 10 class. Hell, Brian Kelly cleared the deck last year replacing just about every assistant but ND shows no ill effects in landing kids.

There's a good chance this DB class won't end up being up to snuff. But it most likely would have a lot more to do with bigger picture UW recruiting issues than with rumors one coach may or may not be leaving soon.

No dudes in the boat. Gordon and Irving going to ND. To date, A “projectible” three star corner exhibiting shopping hints on Twitter.

Demetrius Martin is a shit coach. UCLA landed those players. Not Meat. Chip Kelly quickly sent Meat down the road.

Explain how stellar DB recruiting classes grind to a halt. Poor development? Nope. Down year for the team? Nope. Looming sanctions? Nope? Head coach flirting with bigger jobs. Nope.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,717
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

So you post a TL, DR post taking a shot at a theory I have but don’t have the balls to call me out by name ...

Enjoy your orange slices

Quite the God complex you have going there.

You didn't come up with some original theory here. Everyone has considered the idea and probably half the posters believe it.

Just as usual you took a minor point to its utmost extreme in advocating for Lake to go.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

Enjoy your orange slices

Quite the God complex you have going there.

You didn't come up with some original theory here. Everyone has considered the idea and probably half the posters believe it.

Just as usual you took a minor point to its utmost extreme in advocating for Lake to go.
    HAHA

Everyone has considered it? Nope. Half believe it? Nope.

God complex? LOL

• Options
    SaracenSaracen Member Posts: 269
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Tequilla said:

Enjoy your orange slices

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Saracen said:

I can't go as far as you, in that I think @Tequilla is likely right in that Lake has been a bit handcuffed this year in recruiting.

I expect Lake will get at least a decent DB class and possibly still a very good one, even with the handcuffs. But as I've said before, even if we got 0 DB recruits this year I'd still want him as our coach. I'd much rather have him developing our young DB's than somebody else.

Additionally, I think the sting of the negative recruiting is going to have a shelf life. It's highly unlikely that something that happened in January 2017 is going to affect kids in the 2019 recruiting class, and no chance it will affect them in 2020. Unless Lake has public dalliances with other schools annually this shit is going to blow over.

And in the meantime, we still have the best DB talent developer in the country for my money developing our kids (with freshman and redshirt freshman classes of three four stars).

We have plenty of young talent. We'll get more of it. And we have the best person to develop it.

Jimmy Lake is not hurting UW, and while he might have been damaged goods this specific recruiting season, he won't be going forward.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,918
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    dnc said:

dawgs206 said:

Per twatters, Lake getting an extension. Now go sign some good fuckers.

Timing has to be intentional. They're trying to convince somebody he's gonna be around. I bet it's a multi year extension, too.
    May be too late. As of right now, the oddsmakers are calling whiffs on Irvin, Gordon, and even Blaylock. Apparently we also said no to Croswell so hes headed to the Coog.

We may end up fighting for scraps in January. We shall see.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited December 2017
    This whole thing is fucking stupid.

Why can't anyone on fucking earth process more than one fucking variable at a time.

IS JIMMY LAKE A GOOD COACH?!? YES HE FUCKING IS!!!

IS HIS LAME DUCK STATUS HURTING US IN RECRUITING?!?!? OBVIOUSLY!!!

So, let's do some fucking quick two variable analysis...

So - first thing we've got to figure out... how much better is Jimmy at coaching than Gerald Alexander (given the fact that Coach K and Coach Pete stay)?

Next, is that difference more than how much he is hurting us (relative to how well Alexander would do) by everyone knowing he's a lame duck (this extension won't do shit)?

That's really all you have to do but you stupid fucks seem too fucking stupid to do that simple fucking equation.

It's an open question. I'm not saying I wholly believe one way or another, but at least do the fucking math right.

KREIST.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,067
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Why can't anyone on fucking earth process more than one fucking variable at a time.

KREIST.

In my case it's because I am sort of dumb. I can't speak for the rest of these dicklords, but I imagine it's the same.
  • Options
    Swaye said:

KREIST.

In my case it's because I am sort of dumb. I can't speak for the rest of these dicklords, but I imagine it's the same.
    You might be into something there ...

DNC is right in that Lake’s coaching is superior and that’scobviously a massive consideration ...

But Dennis is spot on ... that’s how you have to look at the problem ...

2018 will be what it is ... and we can probably afford 1 BS class at DB ... but we can’t stack BS classes on top of each other
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Also - if you aren't having that hard a time doing those two contingent calcs... you could add another CRAZY one in there...

What are we paying Lake vs. what we would pay Alexander? Could that $$ be used on upgrades or for the 10th coach?

I fucking love Jimmy Lake and I don't want him to leave, but you guys are as bad as Doogs with this shit.