Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Targeting Call...

I think it was the wrong call...Feet were still on ground as he made contact, he did not go to head or neck area and he did not lower his head.

Amazing hit, but not targeting.

espn.com/video/clip?id=21464048

https://sbnation.com/college-football/2016/9/7/12829482/targeting-penalty-rulebook-ncaa-football

"No player shall target and make forcible contact against an opponent with the crown (top) of his helmet. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below). When in question, it is a foul.
This specifies a hit with the top of the helmet, but not necessarily a hit to the opponent’s helmet.

The next item in the rulebook, including the aforementioned "Note 1," which explains the many additional situations in which all kinds of hits are considered targeting:
No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent (See Note 2 below) with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below). When in question, it is a foul (Rules 2-27-14 and 9-6). (A.R. 9-1-4-I-VI)

Note 1: "Targeting" means that a player takes aim at an opponent for purposes of attacking with forcible contact that goes beyond making a legal tackle or a legal block or playing the ball. Some indicators of targeting include but are not limited to:

- Launch—a player leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area
- A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground
- Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area
- Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet"

Comments

• Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,799
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,898
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    A lot of these calls ae bizarre and don't make sense, but as I understand it, that's targeting.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Looked pretty targety to me
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

- Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet"

He did this.

It is designed to protect defensive players from paralyzing themselves.

Call it the Curtis Williams rule.
    pretty much exactly right. watch the Curtis clip sometime. almost the same play, except the Stanford back was bigger and, as I recall, lowered his head too. In any event, it's how Williams became paralyzed.
  • Options
    DoogieMcDoogersonDoogieMcDoogerson Member Posts: 2,482
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    You all are referencing the first part of the rule which is a precondition for one of the following listed at the end. did he lower his head before atacking? His arms were out ready to wrap. In any case, fucking awesome hit.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,375
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It was the definition of targeting. Case closed.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,555
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    So what is his suspension? first half targetting you miss the second half, second half targetting you miss the first half of the next game?

So will JoJo be there to chintimidate the entire cuogs fleet of receivers
  • Options
    Postal91Postal91 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,731
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The amount of pussy in that guys voice was cringe worthy. (Not the good pussy) 'oh my goodneth, he led with the crown of his helmut'. Thank god I didn't have to listen to that shit in the stands.
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

You all are referencing the first part of the rule which is a precondition for one of the following listed at the end. did he lower his head before atacking? His arms were out ready to wrap. In any case, fucking awesome hit.

You're trying too hard to lawyer this. Nobody cares what he's doing with this arms. His head (crown of his helmet) made contact with the player first. That's why the kid was almost folded in half. It's why they use that method ... it delivers the big hit. Great hit, and I'll concede it takes big ones to come in like that and lay the lumber ... but it's very fucking dangerous, particularly for the defender.
    We all knew he was good for 1-2 of those this year. I suspect another one may come against a defenseless receiver of yours coming over the middle...t's&p's
  • Options
    ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2017

You're trying too hard to lawyer this. Nobody cares what he's doing with this arms. His head (crown of his helmet) made contact with the player first. That's why the kid was almost folded in half. It's why they use that method ... it delivers the big hit. Great hit, and I'll concede it takes big ones to come in like that and lay the lumber ... but it's very fucking dangerous, particularly for the defender.
    head and shoulder hit concurrently IMO but I think he should have had his head further up which would have protected his neck. Still, I don't think it was illegal and if it was illegal it should NOT be. And pretty much the whole fucking stadium thought so too!