Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

I got Gonzaga to the finals

13»

Comments

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,861
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited March 2017
    phineas said:

Verne lundquist was also pretty great during the Florida cocks game. Can't recall if I've heard him on another basketball call before, but I enjoyed him.

Jesus.

He called the Christian Laettner shot to beat Kentucky. Are you like 12?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3_IT622Sbc
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    And Chris Webber really sucks as an announcer ...

The only thing I enjoyed out of him was railing on the officials for the lengthy delay in the Gonzaga vs West Virginia game.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Reggie Miller I find a little underrated as an announcer
  • Options
    phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

phineas said:

Verne lundquist was also pretty great during the Florida cocks game. Can't recall if I've heard him on another basketball call before, but I enjoyed him.

Jesus.

He called the Christian Laettner shot to beat Kentucky. Are you like 12?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3_IT622Sbc
    Is that like, 1992? That's way before my time
  • Options
    Also in the Top 5 for college basketball games ever ... even if you aren't old enough to have watched the game live, it's a game that should be pulled up on YouTube and watched anyway.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,743
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited March 2017
    YouKnowIt said:

Tequilla said:

What Doogs don't understand about coaching is that good coaching is getting the most out of the talent that you have ... Altman does a fantastic job of doing that.

They do a lot of little things that don't really show up in a box score but definitely show up on the scoreboard when it comes to their ability to waste time in a possession by taking 5-7 seconds off for teams getting past half court and then the very loose but threatening half court trap ... before teams know it they are getting into their offensive sets with 15 seconds to go on the shot clock and it makes it significantly easier for Oregon to help, rotate, and play great team defense.

Offensively, they do a great job of maximizing strength and probing to get good looks ... when the offense breaks down they have an identity at who is taking what shots and very rarely do you see them take really bad shots.

Did you watch the UO v KU game? UOs offense went straight Toilet Bowl, and Altman didnt do anything about it ... if it wasn't for a last second heave that somehow hit the rim, then bounced to UO, and then finally hitting a last second 3 without any offense, no screens just a dude dirbbling.... the game might have changed... Altman deserves to get some shit for that
    This is the kind of thing that rationalizing people do. They were still up 6 and ball didn't just bounce to Oregon's shoe laces. Bell, the guy who dominated rebounds the entire game, wound up with the ball. The ball bounces off the rim. It's the nature of the fucking game. Oregon basically went 99% of the "wire to wire" way kicking Kansas' ass. No doubt, their prevent defense didn't do them any favors in the stretch, but in every category of the game that matters, Kansas got their asses kicked.

You want to give some shit to the guy who got that team ready to do that to one of the top teams in the country, basically in their back yard"? Go right the fuck ahead.

What Altman did is what you want from a coach. He had that team mentally ready to throw hard punches right out of the gates and not let up. They showed up and were not in the least bit intimidated by Kansas. A lot, A LOT, of teams would have been.

Go ahead and let Altman know that you disapprove.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

The only thing I enjoyed out of him was railing on the officials for the lengthy delay in the Gonzaga vs West Virginia game.

Chris Weber is decent on the pro game- but that's where he lives. I don't really like how TBS/TNT/Tru (WTF is a Tru?!?) throw their NBA guys in to cover the college game. They just don't know it as well.

Would have sprung wood if Bill "Conference of Champions" Walton would have done the Arizona/Xavier game - or better yet, the Gonzaga/Xavier game after he said Gonzaga plays in a bus-stop conference. Few would have busted his chops.

Reggie Miller did an ok job. Spanarkle is really solid but he's with Verne so it's probably easier.

I like Kenny and Charles in the studio though. Those guys are funny as fuck.

I want to mustard Allie Leforce's hole.

• Options
    Intersectional_DawgIntersectional_Dawg Member Posts: 524
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Tequilla said:

YouKnowIt said:

Tequilla said:

YouKnowIt said:

Tequilla said:

What Doogs don't understand about coaching is that good coaching is getting the most out of the talent that you have ... Altman does a fantastic job of doing that.

They do a lot of little things that don't really show up in a box score but definitely show up on the scoreboard when it comes to their ability to waste time in a possession by taking 5-7 seconds off for teams getting past half court and then the very loose but threatening half court trap ... before teams know it they are getting into their offensive sets with 15 seconds to go on the shot clock and it makes it significantly easier for Oregon to help, rotate, and play great team defense.

Offensively, they do a great job of maximizing strength and probing to get good looks ... when the offense breaks down they have an identity at who is taking what shots and very rarely do you see them take really bad shots.

Did you watch the UO v KU game? UOs offense went straight Toilet Bowl, and Altman didnt do anything about it ... if it wasn't for a last second heave that somehow hit the rim, then bounced to UO, and then finally hitting a last second 3 without any offense, no screens just a dude dirbbling.... the game might have changed... Altman deserves to get some shit for that
    Oregon went into the last 5 minute offense that they tried at UCLA when they lost the game ...

Kansas is explosive enough to have caused some problems there ... UCLA obviously was. Most teams aren't.

But your point about how close Oregon came on one hand to blowing it also shows the margin for error they had in that all it took was one good bounce rebound and one last second shot against the shot clock buzzer to put the game away.

Personally, I fall into the camp of spread the defense out, work clock, but look for layups and easy shots against the defense with the extra space kind of offense ... don't change per se what got you the lead. But at the same time, if you are a good defensive team and can take care of the ball, there's nothing wrong with working clock. The mistake that Oregon gets into at times is that they focus too much on working clock versus getting a bucket ... the killer to the opposition there is working clock AND getting a bucket.
    You probably also like the Prevent Defense....

Personally I think the Great Altman, should have said to his boys keep running the offense...don't take a contested early shot, get the shot we want...if thats an open 3 as time expires so be it .... However Oregon just dribbled around looked confused and then threw up bad shots.
    If run correctly the prevent defense is a great asset depending on the circumstances. The teams that just drop everybody 25 yards down the field and allow 15 yard completions without a problem and give up the 5 play 70 yard drive in 31 seconds ... that's shit.

The reality is that everything comes down to execution regardless of what the plan is.
    Autism alert.
  • Options
    Reggie is great ... doesn't matter the league he does ...

Something about Webber rubs me the wrong way ...

Sparnarkle is good ... I also like Gminski as well ... when they combined in the first weekend Gminski and Debbie Antonelli I thought it worked really well.

I don't know what CBS thinks on various things but getting Clark Kellogg back calling games would be a solid move.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Sparnarkle is good ... I also like Gminski as well ... when they combined in the first weekend Gminski and Debbie Antonelli I thought it worked really well.

I don't know what CBS thinks on various things but getting Clark Kellogg back calling games would be a solid move.

God, I wish CBS would hire Kelli Tennant.

Former USC volleyball player. So hot.

• Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dhdawg said:

UNC is going to run all over oregon and then run all over whoever wins the other semifinal.

UNC and Kentucky were by far the two best in the tournament

Disagree.

Everyone was saying the same thing about Kansas. You can throw a dart to determine who wins it out of this FF
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

YouKnowIt said:

Tequilla said:

You seem to overlooking the fact that UO was getting homered left and right. And every call went in KU's direction the last 20 minutes. Putting KU in the Kansas City pod in the first place is bullshit.

UO won despite the odds. Give Altman some credit for getting his guys to believe they could overcome adversity and tough it out. Doogs should look to him as a barometer of what they should expect with Hopkins.

Why is it bullshit?

Lawrence is 45 minutes away from Kansas City ...

If the West Regional was in Anaheim at the Honda Center, should UCLA be shipped out? What about Arizona in the West Finals if in Phoenix?
    I'd be waiting for the uproar if heven forbid the final four was in Portland this year.
    If Portland had the West regional and Oregon was a 1 seed, I would have no problem with the Ducks going to Portland.

The Northwest doesn't have a building capable of holding the Final Four.
    Good point on the capacity. I forgot most final four tournaments are held at football stadium domes. I guess Seattle would have been a likely location if centurylink had a retractable roof.
    Seattle would never be an option with a retractable roof because the game time temperature would likely be in the 40s
    New invention.

It's called Heat.

Works great when it's cold outside.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

Chris Weber is decent on the pro game- but that's where he lives. I don't really like how TBS/TNT/Tru (WTF is a Tru?!?) throw their NBA guys in to cover the college game. They just don't know it as well.

Would have sprung wood if Bill "Conference of Champions" Walton would have done the Arizona/Xavier game - or better yet, the Gonzaga/Xavier game after he said Gonzaga plays in a bus-stop conference. Few would have busted his chops.

Reggie Miller did an ok job. Spanarkle is really solid but he's with Verne so it's probably easier.

I especially liked it when Chris Webber was touting the teams with no one and doners and How all kids SHOULD fully enjoy their college experience like he did.

He's a loser off and on the court.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

God, I wish CBS would hire Kelli Tennant.

Former USC volleyball player. So hot.

Fleiss!?
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,384
    Swaye's Wigwam
    salemcoog said:

Tequilla said:

I especially liked it when Chris Webber was touting the teams with no one and doners and How all kids SHOULD fully enjoy their college experience like he did.

You don't think Weber enjoyed that 600 grand for 2 years of college?

Sounds like a winner to me.

Time out - he never actually won anything but still
  • Options
    edited March 2017

salemcoog said:

Tequilla said:

Fixed that for you, Chris Weber style. None left.
  • Options

salemcoog said:

Tequilla said:

I have no problem with him taking the $$$. What I do have a problem with is his blaming the guy who gave him the $$$ for him taking it.