Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Your worst agony of defeat type of moment in athletic competition?

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,072
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I charged the mound after getting hit by a pitch.

I lost.

This is top 3 baseball violence of all time. I'd have to think on the other two.
    Juan Marichal v Roseboro
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,172
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I feel like the furry of George Brett charging the ump and then being restrained is worthy of discussion. Also Charlie Hustle in the 1970 All Star Game.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,072
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I remember the highlights of Marichal when it happened. Compared to the breathless over coverage of everything today it really wasn't that big of a deal. I kept the SI cover on my wall for awhile.

There were no calls for the death penalty or anything like that.

I put 1750 in the inflation calculator and it comes out to 13 grand today. Amazing
  • Options
    azumahazumah Member Posts: 21
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Playing basketball for Boys Club when I'm 11, and we're going against Loyal Heights in our first game.

Half our team doesn't even make it to the game, and we have to get some players from the stands.

I think we're losing something like 50-8, and I got so embarrassed and upset that I walked off the court and out of the gym. When I was talked into coming back in I threw a cussing tantrum.

35 years later I still cringe when I think about it.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I once went to bed with 2 chicks. One was a really hot model, blonde. Easily a 10. The other one was average, about a 6, also blonde. She liked me but I wanted to fuck the model so I started fingering her. Then a few minutes into it they both get up and leave the room for no apparent reason.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,338
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter

PurpleJ said:

There's nothing gay about rowing a boat.

So long as you rape and pillage when you get to land.

No, row it boat is not really gay; it's tuff ass shit. I was just using @whlinder 's terminology in the sense that Crew is: (a) boring as hell as a spectator sport most of the time, although it once used to draw way bigger crowds of spectators than Husky football when there was nothing else to watch in Seattle; and (b) it is the essential sport for slow, tall, uncoordinated white boys, who suck a sports ball. A lot of you fuckers here were probably way better than me in HS hoops (or other forms of sports ball), but you put me on an erg (rowing machine) in my prime and I could pull 2000 meter times just a few seconds off what dude in the Olympics need to pull.
    gay rowboat is generally the preferred nomenclature around these parts
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,172
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whlinder said:

PurpleJ said:

There's nothing gay about rowing a boat.

So long as you rape and pillage when you get to land.

No, row it boat is not really gay; it's tuff ass shit. I was just using @whlinder 's terminology in the sense that Crew is: (a) boring as hell as a spectator sport most of the time, although it once used to draw way bigger crowds of spectators than Husky football when there was nothing else to watch in Seattle; and (b) it is the essential sport for slow, tall, uncoordinated white boys, who suck a sports ball. A lot of you fuckers here were probably way better than me in HS hoops (or other forms of sports ball), but you put me on an erg (rowing machine) in my prime and I could pull 2000 meter times just a few seconds off what dude in the Olympics need to pull.
    gay rowboat is generally the preferred nomenclature around these parts
    Works for me.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,406
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2017
    In grade school, I had an uncanny knack for making hook shots but the coach hated it. (I get it.) Still, I was awesome at it -- even from long range. Coach told me that the next time I did it, I had a seat on the bench the rest of the game.

We're tied with less than a minute to go and I get the ball in the corner and, yep, hook shot. From the fucking corner. Swish.

Coach, teaching me a lesson, pulls my ass like he promised. The other team ties up the game and we go to overtime. I never got back on the court. We lost by 10.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    TheHB said:

In grade school, I had an uncanny knack for making hook shots but the coach hated it. (I get it.) Still, I was awesome at it -- even from long range. Coach told me that the next time I did it, I had a seat on the bench the rest of the game.

We're tied with less than a minute to go and I get the ball in the corner and, yep, hook shot. From the fucking corner. Swish.

Coach, teaching me a lesson, pulls my ass like he promised. The other team ties up the game and we go to overtime. I never got back on the court. We lost by 10.

I would have fired your coach at midcourt before the start of overtime.
  • Options
    89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,457
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    May 21st, 2016 Ogden Marathon

I set an aggressive goal for this marathon, which was a top 3 finish in my age group. Not easy to do because there are about 80-90 guys I have to beat. My best finish in this marathon, which is still my best overall is 3:16:08 which I set in 2014. That year I finished 9th out of 88. I moved up to the next age group since then and guys are getting slower. I had the desire to out train them and felt if I ran near my personal record or a little better I had a good chance of placing.

I trained incredibly hard for this race, with my weekly mileage hitting an average of 80 for the last 12 weeks of my training. I felt magnificent! I was incredibly strong, feeling invincible. I felt so good, I decided to enter The Grand Slam since the Ogden marathon is part of it. That’s where you run 4 specific Utah marathons in May, June, July and October and compete by your cumulative time for all 4. I was going to smash this along with the Ogden marathon.

Race day comes, the staging area is at 5400 feet so it’s cold, probably about 35°. Light rain, which is actually perfect for a marathon. This is no surprise, I’m pretty much dressed in my underwear, along with all the other runners. Once you get running, you warm right up plus when daylight comes the temperature will settle into the low 40s, again, perfect marathon weather.

Everything is going perfectly, I’m clipping along, putting down miles at a 7:15 to 7:20 pace as planned, still light rain. PERFECT. A few more miles, rain getting heavier but no problem, I run through this kind of thing all the time. Next, a little discomfort settles in because now we are running into a strong wind which I would later learn was 20 miles and hour. Still no problem, you just start to get a little numb but it will go away. Rain was not in the forecast so no one was prepared for it. Now it’s flat out crazy. Strong, 40 mph gusts of wind whipping rain that stung at first is now strangely feeling warm. This is very weird, I’m feeling nothing and kind of seeing stars. I’m still holding my pace and running strong knowing that I just need to battle through it. I’m a good runner in bad weather so I’m actually excited because I’m confident I can out do my competition. My goal is to be top three, not necessarily chasing a certain time.

Here is where it gets bad. My shoelace comes undone. THIS NEVER HAPPENS!!!!! I step to the side of the road to lace it up but my fingers won’t move, they’re useless. I can’t even tie a knot. I keep running, freaked out because this can’t continue but I can’t do anything about it. There are no spectators because it’s a hurricane, I try wiggling my fingers while I’m running hoping to get them to function. I try two other times but my fingers are useless. Things have now gone from bad to worse. With all these stops I have lost what little body heat I had that allowed me to keep running. I’ve lost control of my legs and I’m struggling to remain upright. I hit the halfway point at 13.1 miles and there are usually about a thousand volunteers and spectators there to greet and cheer you, but not this time. They cleared out and here I am in my underwear violently shaking. I stumble over to this little house converted into a convenience store but it’s closed. I prop myself up in the corner of the porch and continue my violent shaking. Finally, a sheriff spots me and practically carries me to his vehicle. I’m driven to the nearby fire station where they put me in a heated room with about another half dozen runners who are in the same condition I’m in. We’re sitting there wrapped in mylar blankets shaking so hard we can barely talk to each other. This goes on for an hour. At this point the shaking has been reduced but we are all still shivering. We were eventually put on a warm bus and driven to the finish line. By the time we got there, we were all warm and okay.

But I’m not okay between the ears. I have NEVER quit on a run, not even a routine training run. I train outdoors year-round. I run in temps ranging from -4° to 104°. This does not happen to me! But it did and it crushed me.

This race usually has about 2500 finishers, this year, the weather wiped out about 1000 runners, only 1500 finished. In my division, the winners were 3:12, 3:23 and 3:24. I had a great chance.

I still completed the Grand Slam, I just could not do it competitively. If you miss one of the four marathons you can do another local marathon as a make up.

Since I failed at the Ogden marathon, I threw down hard on the next one a month later, trying for a top finish. I didn't run well, ran a 3:28 and took 6th.

Looking back, attempting 5 marathons and completing 4, each spaced a month apart physically tore the hell out of me. I still haven't recovered and it's real fucking frustrating.
  • Options
    Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,887
    Standard Supporter

I once went to bed with 2 chicks. One was a really hot model, blonde. Easily a 10. The other one was average, about a 6, also blonde. She liked me but I wanted to fuck the model so I started fingering her. Then a few minutes into it they both get up and leave the room for no apparent reason.

I had a very similar experience in my early 20s. Threesomes aren't as easy as they look on TV. There's some very complex mental chemistry involved if it's 1 guy and 2 chicks. If it's 1 chick and 2 dudes, it's much smoother sailing...just start pounding away at a hole...even if it's the same hole that the other dude is already pounding. I believe they call that "double-penetration" in some areas.
  • Options
    89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,457
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

89ute said:

May 21st, 2016 Ogden Marathon

I set an aggressive goal for this marathon, which was a top 3 finish in my age group. Not easy to do because there are about 80-90 guys I have to beat. My best finish in this marathon, which is still my best overall is 3:16:08 which I set in 2014. That year I finished 9th out of 88. I moved up to the next age group since then and guys are getting slower. I had the desire to out train them and felt if I ran near my personal record or a little better I had a good chance of placing.

I trained incredibly hard for this race, with my weekly mileage hitting an average of 80 for the last 12 weeks of my training. I felt magnificent! I was incredibly strong, feeling invincible. I felt so good, I decided to enter The Grand Slam since the Ogden marathon is part of it. That’s where you run 4 specific Utah marathons in May, June, July and October and compete by your cumulative time for all 4. I was going to smash this along with the Ogden marathon.

Race day comes, the staging area is at 5400 feet so it’s cold, probably about 35°. Light rain, which is actually perfect for a marathon. This is no surprise, I’m pretty much dressed in my underwear, along with all the other runners. Once you get running, you warm right up plus when daylight comes the temperature will settle into the low 40s, again, perfect marathon weather.

Everything is going perfectly, I’m clipping along, putting down miles at a 7:15 to 7:20 pace as planned, still light rain. PERFECT. A few more miles, rain getting heavier but no problem, I run through this kind of thing all the time. Next, a little discomfort settles in because now we are running into a strong wind which I would later learn was 20 miles and hour. Still no problem, you just start to get a little numb but it will go away. Rain was not in the forecast so no one was prepared for it. Now it’s flat out crazy. Strong, 40 mph gusts of wind whipping rain that stung at first is now strangely feeling warm. This is very weird, I’m feeling nothing and kind of seeing stars. I’m still holding my pace and running strong knowing that I just need to battle through it. I’m a good runner in bad weather so I’m actually excited because I’m confident I can out do my competition. My goal is to be top three, not necessarily chasing a certain time.

Here is where it gets bad. My shoelace comes undone. THIS NEVER HAPPENS!!!!! I step to the side of the road to lace it up but my fingers won’t move, they’re useless. I can’t even tie a knot. I keep running, freaked out because this can’t continue but I can’t do anything about it. There are no spectators because it’s a hurricane, I try wiggling my fingers while I’m running hoping to get them to function. I try two other times but my fingers are useless. Things have now gone from bad to worse. With all these stops I have lost what little body heat I had that allowed me to keep running. I’ve lost control of my legs and I’m struggling to remain upright. I hit the halfway point at 13.1 miles and there are usually about a thousand volunteers and spectators there to greet and cheer you, but not this time. They cleared out and here I am in my underwear violently shaking. I stumble over to this little house converted into a convenience store but it’s closed. I prop myself up in the corner of the porch and continue my violent shaking. Finally, a sheriff spots me and practically carries me to his vehicle. I’m driven to the nearby fire station where they put me in a heated room with about another half dozen runners who are in the same condition I’m in. We’re sitting there wrapped in mylar blankets shaking so hard we can barely talk to each other. This goes on for an hour. At this point the shaking has been reduced but we are all still shivering. We were eventually put on a warm bus and driven to the finish line. By the time we got there, we were all warm and okay.

But I’m not okay between the ears. I have NEVER quit on a run, not even a routine training run. I train outdoors year-round. I run in temps ranging from -4° to 104°. This does not happen to me! But it did and it crushed me.

This race usually has about 2500 finishers, this year, the weather wiped out about 1000 runners, only 1500 finished. In my division, the winners were 3:12, 3:23 and 3:24. I had a great chance.

I still completed the Grand Slam, I just could not do it competitively. If you miss one of the four marathons you can do another local marathon as a make up.

Since I failed at the Ogden marathon, I threw down hard on the next one a month later, trying for a top finish. I didn't run well, ran a 3:28 and took 6th.

Looking back, attempting 5 marathons and completing 4, each spaced a month apart physically tore the hell out of me. I still haven't recovered and it's real fucking frustrating.

'Skinny white people run for no reason'
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aktJ5qGrYo
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

I had a very similar experience in my early 20s. Threesomes aren't as easy as they look on TV. There's some very complex mental chemistry involved if it's 1 guy and 2 chicks. If it's 1 chick and 2 dudes, it's much smoother sailing...just start pounding away at a hole...even if it's the same hole that the other dude is already pounding. I believe they call that "double-penetration" in some areas.
    3 ways are almost more trouble than they are worth.

One of the chicks always has a problem.