Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Bourbon recommendations - north of $50 a bottle?

Comments

• Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,632
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
  • Options
    DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer First Comment

Basil Hayden's is the bitch ass version of old grand dad bib.
    (I just don't think 80 proof is legit for bourbons)

I like the high rye mashbills

Four roses single barrel is usually pretty good as is any of the wild turkey offerings.

My go to bourbon is the turkey. Btw

Generally the tough thing about the higher prices bourbons is that either they are aged a long time which can be hit or miss depending on if it gets too oaky and out of balance, or they are cask strength level of lower priced ones which can be worth it to you or not.

Basil Hayden's is the bitch ass version of old grand dad bib.
    (I just don't think 80 proof is legit for bourbons)

I like the high rye mashbills

Four roses single barrel is usually pretty good as is any of the wild turkey offerings.

My go to bourbon is the turkey. Btw

Generally the tough thing about the higher prices bourbons is that either they are aged a long time which can be hit or miss depending on if it gets too oaky and out of balance, or they are cask strength level of lower priced ones which can be worth it to you or not.

Agreed on Basil Hayden. If they made it 92 proof then we'd be talking.
    Well fuck you guys. I drink it myself.
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,742
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    edited February 2017
    There is a gin distillery south of Oakland (St. George) that does one with douglas fir. It's intense, but in a good way.

http://www.shopwinedirect.com/st-george-terroir-gin-750ml.html?vfsku=gin136&vfsku=gin136&gpla=pla&gclid=CP-yj4qXgtICFcGOfgodlMwDcg
  • Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,142
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Eagle rare is my favorite value bourbon, but it's price is going up fast.

The only new entrant I know is Garrison brothers

• Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,346
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Eagle rare is my favorite value bourbon, but it's price is going up fast.

The only new entrant I know is Garrison brothers

Too Texassy.
  • Options
    section8section8 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,581
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Elijah Craig Barrel Strength, Eagle Rare, whistle pig, Blood Oath, Campfire from High West, Colonel Taylors.
  • Options
    section8 said:

Elijah Craig Barrel Strength, Eagle Rare, whistle pig, Blood Oath, Campfire from High West, Colonel Taylors.

Isn't high west an American Whiskey? Eagle rare is very nice for the price. Whistle pig is great but expensive.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,171
    Swaye's Wigwam
    DeepSeaZ said:

section8 said:

Isn't high west an American Whiskey? Eagle rare is very nice for the price. Whistle pig is great but expensive.
    They (High West) specialize mostly in rye, and like most of the boutique ryes out there, they bought barrels from a distiller in Indiana that used to make the rye for Segrams. Their Double Rye is fantastic though. I might give the Whistle pig a try and have been temped by this one.

I really glad to see a lot of love here for Eagle Rare as the best the "Value" bourbons. 10 year old stuff at $30 - $35 a fifth is a great value indeed. But as some have pointed out there's starting to be a bit of a scarcity issue of cheaper well aged bourbons. Stupid millennial hipsters.
  • Options
    those fucking assholes mix it with coke and other bullshit.

DeepSeaZ said:

section8 said:

They (High West) specialize mostly in rye, and like most of the boutique ryes out there, they bought barrels from a distiller in Indiana that used to make the rye for Segrams. Their Double Rye is fantastic though. I might give the Whistle pig a try and have been temped by this one.

I really glad to see a lot of love here for Eagle Rare as the best the "Value" bourbons. 10 year old stuff at $30 - $35 a fifth is a great value indeed. But as some have pointed out there's starting to be a bit of a scarcity issue of cheaper well aged bourbons. Stupid millennial hipsters.
  • Options
    FraleyMcClatcherFraleyMcClatcher Member Posts: 13
    First Comment 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Do any of your bourbon sippin’ doogs have much experience with the real high end stuff, say, north of $50 a bottle? I have my go to labels in the every-day drinking bourbon segment- e.g., Eagle Rare 10 yr old, Elijah Craig (used to be 12 yr old), Buffalo Trace, Evan Williams Single Barrel, etc – but would love to hear any recommendations for any high end bourbons that you guys are in to.

Blanton’s is usually what I buy in the $60 price point but would like to branch out. Pappy is the holy grail, but not achievable unless you have a connection. Elmer T Lee at $40 - $45 is the poor man’s Blanton’s but I just can’t see to find is these days in Seattle.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

• Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited February 2017
    dflea said:

So how about a vodka recommendation?

This would be more along your class.

For the discerning Auburn trailer park pallet.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

DeepSeaZ said:

section8 said:

Templeton Rye is pretty good and Last Feather is good in an interesting way (NTTAWWT). Last Feather really resonates with my native heritage.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Wild Turkey is horrible ... that loses all credibility with me
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,632
    Tequilla said:

You are literally a gigantic vagina with horrible taste buds.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,077
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

This.

If you're going low-brow, go with Watkins or Rebel Yell, for chrissakes.

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Tequilla said:

Whoooooooooooooooooooooooosh
  • Options

Do any of your bourbon sippin’ doogs have much experience with the real high end stuff, say, north of $50 a bottle? I have my go to labels in the every-day drinking bourbon segment- e.g., Eagle Rare 10 yr old, Elijah Craig (used to be 12 yr old), Buffalo Trace, Evan Williams Single Barrel, etc – but would love to hear any recommendations for any high end bourbons that you guys are in to.

Blanton’s is usually what I buy in the $60 price point but would like to branch out. Pappy is the holy grail, but not achievable unless you have a connection. Elmer T Lee at $40 - $45 is the poor man’s Blanton’s but I just can’t see to find is these days in Seattle.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Pappy is great. No question. But not at the current prices. I bought a bottle years ago for $90. Now the same bottle is over $2k.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I can't think of anything that is worth $2k per bottle.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

I can't think of anything that is worth $2k per bottle.

It's just for collectors and scarcity's sake, not for quality's. I've had all the Pappy's from 30 down and while they are amazing they arent 10x better than a $100 bottle. The big difference in liquor lies between the $30 bottle and the $100 bottle.