Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Bourbon recommendations - north of $50 a bottle?

1235»

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,948 Founders Club

Tequilla said:

I can't think of anything that is worth $2k per bottle.

It's just for collectors and scarcity's sake, not for quality's. I've had all the Pappy's from 30 down and while they are amazing they arent 10x better than a $100 bottle. The big difference in liquor lies between the $30 bottle and the $100 bottle.
    This sums up the pappy situation well. I've never had it and by all accounts it's excellent stuff but no way it can be $500 to $2000 good.
    So I ended up buying a fifth of jack Daniels single barrel select for my bourbon club tasting. 47% and I don't know the age. I'm a little skeptical of the $51.99 price point - since I'm not big on their lower price point whiskeys - but either way it will be interesting.

Also, for you Scotch guys i grabbed a highland park 12 year old. Never had it but my whisky guru - www.ralfy.com - recommended it.

Old Pultney is my favorite value single malt and it's a good one if you want to venture into scotch but are scared of the more heavily peated stuff.

Thanks all for tossing out your idears
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,852
    I see you took no ones advice you bastard.

I think someone tossed out the Jack Daniel's single barrel earlier in the thread. But some of these bottles that have been recommended are a little harder to track down.

Not impressed at first taste on the Jack Daniel's Single Barrel for those that have seen it in shops. Basically just tastes like higher proof regular old Jack which is swill. Not the kind of complexity of flavors that you expect in the $50 bourbon. Blanton's kicks its ass by a country mile.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,379 Founders Club

@swayes silence in this thread speaks volumes

He's been working double shifts at Orkin this week.
  • DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    Tequilla said:

I can't think of anything that is worth $2k per bottle.

Fermented unicorns tears.
  • TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    edited February 2017
    DeepSeaZ said:

section8 said:

Elijah Craig Barrel Strength, Eagle Rare, whistle pig, Blood Oath, Campfire from High West, Colonel Taylors.

Isn't high west an American Whiskey? Eagle rare is very nice for the price. Whistle pig is great but expensive.
    Great stuff both the Boss Hogg and the Rye. You can get it on base at great prices. Axe @koopdog.

I also like Weller (poor man's Pappy) and Blanton's can be top shelf at most places.

Pappy still is the standard though depending on the year. You can find some around for ~$65 a shot if you enjoy it.

Funny you mention High West. I believe that's made in Utah and they have a damn good blend called Campfire. It's a bit peaty so if you don't like scotch, don't give it a go.

With scotch, I favor Oban and Laphroaig but only drink scotch with a good cigar.

section8 said:

Elijah Craig Barrel Strength, Eagle Rare, whistle pig, Blood Oath, Campfire from High West, Colonel Taylors.

Funny you mention this one. It's been on my mind since the Utah game.

I think someone tossed out the Jack Daniel's single barrel earlier in the thread. But some of these bottles that have been recommended are a little harder to track down.

Not impressed at first taste on the Jack Daniel's Single Barrel for those that have seen it in shops. Basically just tastes like higher proof regular old Jack which is swill. Not the kind of complexity of flavors that you expect in the $50 bourbon. Blanton's kicks its ass by a country mile.
    Jack isn't a bourbon but I really enjoy the single barrel. I like it for the reasons you don't. It's very simple in taste. And damn smooth. The taste changes though if you add a splash of water. I have no idea why but it opens it up. It becomes more robust.
    DeepSeaZ said:

Jack isn't a bourbon but I really enjoy the single barrel. I like it for the reasons you don't. It's very simple in taste. And damn smooth. The taste changes though if you add a splash of water. I have no idea why but it opens it up. It becomes more robust.
    Not technically but close enough for the excervise. Only difference really is the maple charcoal dealio and being in Tennessee. I haven't given up on it per say. Sometimes it takes a few tries and experimenting with the right amount of water to add.
    TommySQC said:

DeepSeaZ said:

section8 said:

Isn't high west an American Whiskey? Eagle rare is very nice for the price. Whistle pig is great but expensive.
    Great stuff both the Boss Hogg and the Rye. You can get it on base at great prices. Axe @koopdog.

I also like Weller (poor man's Pappy) and Blanton's can be top shelf at most places.

Pappy still is the standard though depending on the year. You can find some around for ~$65 a shot if you enjoy it.

Funny you mention High West. I believe that's made in Utah and they have a damn good blend called Campfire. It's a bit peaty so if you don't like scotch, don't give it a go.

With scotch, I favor Oban and Laphroaig but only drink scotch with a good cigar.

Not sure where High West is a the moment in distilling on property in Utah. When they started - and this is the case with a lot of new distilleries - they bought barrels from other distillers (e.g., rye from an outfit in Indiana) and then mixed and bottled it back in Utah for sale.
    Just got sold for 160 mil.
    I think they've been around long enough they have some of their own. But obviously with experimental blends they would source part of it.

edited February 2017
    On the local front I had some of the Woodinville Whiskey Straight Bourbon and if they call is straight it has to be, at least, 4 years old (their other products have been aged for a lot less time...like just couple years). I've always felt their whiskey tasted to young and "hot" but this 4 year old stuff is getting better. They're not there yet, but once they have some 7-8 year old product to sell it ought to be pretty good.

Just got sold for 160 mil.
    I think they've been around long enough they have some of their own. But obviously with experimental blends they would source part of it.

Didn't know that. To Constellation is looks like: http://www.parkrecord.com/news/business/high-west-distillery-sold-for-160-million/

Man, Park City is not the sleepy little ski town that I grew up in.

On the local front I had some of the Woodinville Whiskey Straight Bourbon and if they call is straight it has to be, at least, 4 years old (their other products have been aged for a lot less time...like just couple years). I've always felt their whiskey tasted to young and "hot" but this 4 year old stuff is getting better. They're not there yet, but once they have some 7-8 year old product to sell it ought to be pretty good.

Agreed. It's still straight fire lacking in any real taste. Their syrup is better. But I'm told aging it in their tiny barrels for 6 months is a game changer.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Anytime I'm trying to not drink a lot, a little Black Velvet goes a long way
    Tequilla said:

back in college when I was broke as fuck, a ton of Black Velvet got me hammered for cheap

I got u brah
    Can't even smell BV anymore
    TommySQC said:

Can't even smell BV anymore

Ur supposed to drink it