Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Bourbon recommendations - north of $50 a bottle?

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,948 Founders Club

Do any of your bourbon sippin’ doogs have much experience with the real high end stuff, say, north of $50 a bottle? I have my go to labels in the every-day drinking bourbon segment- e.g., Eagle Rare 10 yr old, Elijah Craig (used to be 12 yr old), Buffalo Trace, Evan Williams Single Barrel, etc – but would love to hear any recommendations for any high end bourbons that you guys are in to.

Blanton’s is usually what I buy in the $60 price point but would like to branch out. Pappy is the holy grail, but not achievable unless you have a connection. Elmer T Lee at $40 - $45 is the poor man’s Blanton’s but I just can’t see to find is these days in Seattle.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

My daughter bought me this for Christmas. It is delicious.

And fuck you for knowing why I was flagged in advance.

https://blackwellswines.com/products/i-w-harper-15-year-bourbon-whiskey?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=27815934217&gclid=CM7erMSzgdICFU1qfgodvnEKvQ
    That looks mighty tasty. 15 year old starts to get into that rare super aged territory like Pappy Van Winkle.
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,346
    When not drinking my bourbon neat, rocks or in a Manhattan (I know Manhattans are supposed to be made with Rye, sue me, I like mine with Bulleit bourbon).

I highly reccomned this cocktail; especially in warm weather locales. https://www.diffordsguide.com/cocktails/recipe/2406/final-ward

You can sub in any decent bourbon or rye for the Rittenhouse.

Also, the Last Word is a fucking treat. Thank you Murray Stenson. https://www.diffordsguide.com/cocktails/recipe/1133/the-last-word-cocktail
  • seatownfunkseatownfunk Member Posts: 805
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

... I usually lump all versions of whiskey together ...

You know how I know you're a fag?

Scotch, rye, bourbon, blended, etc. all whiskys. but not all whiskys are bourbon.

I bet you refer to all red wines as cabs too.

You should flag yourself for drinking anything that is called "blended"
    Crown is blended you fucking homo
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825

When not drinking my bourbon neat, rocks or in a Manhattan (I know Manhattans are supposed to be made with Rye, sue me, I like mine with Bulleit bourbon).

You are really over your head here
    edited February 2017
    Tequilla said:

Please tell me more about your whisky knowledge, like how your favorite bourbon is Crown Royal and that I should flag myself for drinking blended whisky (which I never said).

You should probably stick to drinking this and let the men alone to talk whisky.

Needle too clean.
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,110
    Tequilla's affinity for Crown Royal Bourbon needs to become a staple of the "what are you drinking tonight?" threads
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,844

I love you baby, can you I have some more....ooohh the damage done.

I highly reccomned this cocktail; especially in warm weather locales. https://www.diffordsguide.com/cocktails/recipe/2406/final-ward

You can sub in any decent bourbon or rye for the Rittenhouse.

Also, the Last Word is a fucking treat. Thank you Murray Stenson. https://www.diffordsguide.com/cocktails/recipe/1133/the-last-word-cocktail

Bulleit actually has one of the higher percentages of rye in the mash bill that you'll find a bourbon. Basil Hayden is pretty rye heavy too.

Tequilla's affinity for Crown Royal Bourbon needs to become a staple of the "what are you drinking tonight?" threads

I previously thought the TSIO should be sponsored by Kirkland Signature Brand 100% Agave Tequilla, but it seems like Crown Royal Canadian Bourbon should be the official sponsor. As a plus their colors are purple and gold.
    edited February 2017

Tequilla said:

Please tell me more about your whisky knowledge, like how your favorite bourbon is Crown Royal and that I should flag myself for drinking blended whisky (which I never said).

I misspoke on classifying Crown as a Bourbon ... Buffalo Trace and Crown are my 2 go-to drinks ... that was my intention. I definitely know that Crown is a Canadian Whiskey ...

I don't claim to be a bourbon snob ... I do try a lot of different ones and that's how I stumbled upon Buffalo Trace ... I've had Pappy before and after a friend looked up Pappy and realized that Buffalo Trace was made by the same distillery it has been a go to from that date forward.

I've had probably the balance of what most would consider part of the typical rotation including Makers, Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, and Bulleit. When I'm going more for value I'll drink Two Stars. I'm not a huge fan of Jack (and yes, I realize that that's a Tennessee Whiskey) or Jim, but Gentleman Jack isn't terrible. My friends and I generally on birthdays will go buy a different whiskey every year that we haven't had before ... I'm looking at a bottle of Lazy River sitting on my counter. There's a ton of different versions that I've had that I wouldn't remember by name ... I'm terrible at remembering that type of stuff.

From a scotch standpoint, I've gone to multiple tasting events for both Glenlivet and Macallen ... I like Macallen better ... the higher age stuff is outstanding. I've had a bottle of the Macallen 15 in the last year ... so smooth. From a Glenlivet standpoint, I like the 12 and 18 while not particularly fond of the 15. The 21 is good but to me not significantly better than the others to spend the money. I also will from time to time drink some Glenmorangie which I tend to like as well. If I'm going out to a place with a good selection I'll normally go through and sample various options after consulting with the bartender.

I'm not a big fan ryes at all ... just don't like the flavor as much.

As for blended, it was largely a tongue in cheek whoosh ... they aren't all terribly bad but typically when I think of blended I think of just trying to get drunk on value. My dad will often have a cheap version of a blended scotch around for his day to day activity while keeping the higher quality around for special occasions.

As for other liquors, I'm not a huge tequila guy outside of margaritas. I prefer a clear tequila versus a golden one ... I typically have no problem staying with Jose Cuervo Silver as my go to as I use that not only for margaritas but also for cooking needs (I use it a lot in cooking Mexican food). From a Vodka standpoint I'm almost exclusively a Tito's drinker ... I've probably moved more to Tito's in the last year as my default drink of choice (at least during the summer) for a few reasons. I'm not much of a rum guy and in particular not a huge fan of spiced rums.
  • BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 5,024
    Local gym triathlete milf who likes the taste of my balls keeps telling me she's got some Bernheim to use on them. I tell her I use Buffalo Trace or Makers Mark when I roll my balls, and she just smiles, goes pfsh and shakes her head at me

I previously thought the TSIO should be sponsored by Kirkland Signature Brand 100% Agave Tequilla, but it seems like Crown Royal Canadian Bourbon should be the official sponsor. As a plus their colors are purple and gold.
    Kirkland products in general aren't that bad ... I have no problem considering their products to be my "well" variety.

I don't know if Dennis would be approving of our podcast being sponsored by Crown ... I have a feeling Canadians are too white for his taste. He probably wouldn't be happy unless we were sponsored by Hennessy.
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,336 Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Kirkland products in general aren't that bad ... I have no problem considering their products to be my "well" variety.

I don't know if Dennis would be approving of our podcast being sponsored by Crown ... I have a feeling Canadians are too white for his taste. He probably wouldn't be happy unless we were sponsored by Hennessy.
    Wait...Dennis is black and he's...ya know.

Guy doesn't have to work another day in his life.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309

Buffalo trace is a great option. I'm more of a scotch guy myself.

I love Scotch as well but it becomes cost prohibitive sometimes. $45 to $50 is about entry level for single malt, but that kinda coin gets you into some real nice bourbons.
    12 year glendronach is great quality and runs you about $60.00
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,279 Founders Club

Buffalo trace is a great option. I'm more of a scotch guy myself.

I love Scotch as well but it becomes cost prohibitive sometimes. $45 to $50 is about entry level for single malt, but that kinda coin gets you into some real nice bourbons.
    12 year glendronach is great quality and runs you about $60.00
    Good choice, and bourbon drinkers will appreciate that it's aged in sherry casks.
  • DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    Pappy was great but not at the current prices.