Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Bar raised for recruiting also needs to happen

124»

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    jecornel said:

This year is a great reminder why I stopped paying attention to recruiting a long time ago.

I will stick the Baird approach. Revisit three years from now.

I will chalk up this year's class lack of real sizzle due to "market inefficiencies."

I would guess anyone's standards here for Pete is a national title?

So far his o-line recruiting is not up to national title standards. Im sure the staff is well aware of the fact.

As Pepsi has pointed out here this class is really fucking good ... we've had some misses that end up taking us away from having an elite class.

This idea of taking the Baird approach and revisiting 3 years from now is really FS ... if you've fucked up a class or two and don't realize it until 3 years from now because you're just taking a wait and see, hope and prayer, approach to how it plays out you're already fucked as a program.

Recruiting is a leading indicator ... that's why there is such a focus on it today. The better you recruit the better your chances are at success in the future ... not a guarantee but definitely increases your chances. What you're describing by taking the wait and see approach is basically saying that recruiting is a lagging indicator to results ... couldn't be more wrong.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

My issue is more with saying that coaches need to be on the hot seat or "in the corporate world this could be considered a firable offense" because one recruit and his family lied to the entire staff behind their backs.

Of course our recruiting can be better and should always be striving to get better. Petersen has not gotten to where he is today without re evaluating methods and processes. I'm sure he's not happy about this situation and will try to improve upon it in the following years.

Just call it as it is ... you've got a problem with how I've stated or framed the issue ... that's fine ...

There are times I just go off the cuff and likely I don't say things as clear as I should ... it happens ... but here's the issue and you basically get to it at the end by saying that you expect Petersen to improve on the situation going forward ...

Last year, if you looked at our staff, the big issues were Pease, Babushka, and to a lesser degree Strausser.

Pease was showing poor performance not only on the field but also in recruiting. There was a really good argument to suggest that he should be replaced and Pete did just that. Fast forward to this year and not only did the on field performance improve substantially, but the recruiting performance here has been at a high level.

Babushka and Strausser had similar issues at the end of last year. For Babushka, it was trying to reconcile how much of his uneven performance was tied to the youth of the offense versus his FS play calling. For Strausser, the youth of the OL caused significant OL problems and there was a concern about missing on some of our higher end targeted recruits. Pete hired help for Babushka in Jeff Tedford to mentor and the offense on the whole was very good this year ... yet it's likely fair to say that the Babushka performance still doesn't sit easy. Strausser's OL unit developed proving that he's an outstanding OL coach ... but the recruiting concerns were only furthered this year. It's why there have been so many very concerned about what is going on with Strausser.

So after this season, we have the Babushka and Strausser issues noted above, and now it appears that there may be reason for concern with Malloe. Without completely short changing Malloe, Kwiatkowski is regarded as one of the premier DL coaches in the country so I'm more inclined to say that the on field performance for Malloe is less of a driver of his success here as recruiting. The Tui situation doesn't sit right. Being unable to even coax a visit from Jay Tuefele is also a concern. Make no mistake, Malloe's job on this staff is to recruit ... and specifically it's to act as a liaison to poly recruits.

As for Struasser, we know that the staff is actively helping Strausser recruit though some recent Twitter activity. The big challenge with Strausser is that unlike Pease who sucked at everything, Strausser is an outstanding field coach but he's a shit recruiter.

Pete's already shown that he'll make changes to either support or replace underperforming staff when there's a track record of it. He did it with Pease. Support for Strausser is getting ramped up. We don't know if anything will come for Malloe this year. But IMO, it is fair to look at Pete's track record and say that he will actively make changes if he feels like it will take the program forward. And at the core of what I've been actively saying this weekend is that simple truth.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    @Tequilla

I love you dude, you never disappoint at losing my attention lol
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

All those B)B)B) ...@GrandpaSankey needs a trigger warning

Fucking Ray Charles needs a trigger warning from the grave with that shit.
  • Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,118
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    guys guys guys, can't we all just enjoy that Psalm is no longer part of the program?