Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Another hit to our off-season Natty chances - Fox Sports Edition

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,233
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
According to Fox Sports we are officially the #1 team in America at being hammered by early departures for the draft:
http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/gallery/2017-nfl-draft-mock-projections-early-entry-list-details-schools-impacted-011817

Granted, so many pieces like this from the national writers seems to be a worthless as tits on a boar, but how FS is this observation: “The difference between Washington and the other teams on the list is that the Huskies don’t have the overall depth to replace a mass exodus like this.”

Jones, Qualls, Baker, and Ross, are all huge losses; but our “overall depth” in three out of four of those spots is where we have been recruiting and developing players at a very high level- i.e., where you need to be to be competing for Natty’s as Tequilla puts it. Consensus here seems to be DL may actually be better in 2017 with more “heat from the edge”; Gaines is an all-conference level guy and Vea might be a potential all American. Might be some growing pains in the secondary to start, but there’s a ton of depth here- i.e., “DB University”. Has this guy not heard of Rapp? If our non-midget WR recruits all sign LOI’s (and TE’s) we probably get better at WR/TE overall, despite losing Ross. Do your homework Torres – our OL is where the quality depth is lacking compared to other programs; not these other position groups.

Presidential Trivia: Who was our last President to sport some facial hair? Also, who was the last candidate of a major party to have some?

Comments

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    I'm hearing Obama has a beard.
  • Options
    GiantOnMontlakeGiantOnMontlake Member Posts: 22
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Photogenic
    Regardless of how many early departures we have, I think the article and the analysts are correct in saying Washington is not (yet) at the same level (and level of depth) as the top programs contending for national championships. I know Coach Pete and many others groan about recruiting rankings, but of the last 15 national champions - all of them - they've had Top 10 recruiting years in multiple years. Clemson won a championship because they are doing some elite recruiting as of late. Oregon has been an anomaly with historically lower recruiting rankings, and likely shallower depth. They got steam-rolled by Ohio State because they were bigger, better, and definitely deeper than the Zeroes. If we truly want to contend for NC's we're going to need multiple years of Top 10 or maybe we can get by with Top 15 recruiting classes. My two cents.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,801
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited January 2017
    I'm hearing that the Obama adminstration could stay in office if Trump and Pence were assassinated on inaguration day... https://www.google.com/amp/www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/01/18/cnn-airs-segment-saying-obama-admin-keep-power-trump-pence-blown-inauguration-day/amp/ unlike Kim i provide sources.
  • Options
    huskyfavrehuskyfavre Member Posts: 121
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Regardless of how many early departures we have, I think the article and the analysts are correct in saying Washington is not (yet) at the same level (and level of depth) as the top programs contending for national championships. I know Coach Pete and many others groan about recruiting rankings, but of the last 15 national champions - all of them - they've had Top 10 recruiting years in multiple years. Clemson won a championship because they are doing some elite recruiting as of late. Oregon has been an anomaly with historically lower recruiting rankings, and likely shallower depth. They got steam-rolled by Ohio State because they were bigger, better, and definitely deeper than the Zeroes. If we truly want to contend for NC's we're going to need multiple years of Top 10 or maybe we can get by with Top 15 recruiting classes. My two cents.

I dont disagree with this, however outside of Don James, "we" just aren't a program that is going to get the top national recruits or Top 10 recruiting classes here in the far reaches of the country, though I agree they need to improve and we must be top 15. However, this year is a prove-it year for the system, IMHO. Our offense should improve drastically, and if the D can hold serve through player development, "we" will have all the tools and track record to start pulling in better classes. The kids that are now in high school don't remember Owen 12 but they sure do remember 7-6 7-6 7-6 7-6
  • Options

I dont disagree with this, however outside of Don James, "we" just aren't a program that is going to get the top national recruits or Top 10 recruiting classes here in the far reaches of the country, though I agree they need to improve and we must be top 15. However, this year is a prove-it year for the system, IMHO. Our offense should improve drastically, and if the D can hold serve through player development, "we" will have all the tools and track record to start pulling in better classes. The kids that are now in high school don't remember Owen 12 but they sure do remember 7-6 7-6 7-6 7-6
    And they remember 12-2
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I don't disagree that we need to get into that Top 10- 15 range on some recruiting classes to build "overall depth" and have a legit shot at a NT. Again, my contention with this writer is that the position groups where our overall depth is sub standard compared to the elite programs are not where we suffered all the early departure/graduations this year.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Disagree. I don't see why Petersen wouldn't be able to cash in on top 15/10 recruiting classes consistently if the program continues to win. Besides LA, Seattle (fuck off boobs) is probably the best market to be in on the west coast and there is plenty of talent on this side of the country to compete with everyone else.

The key thing is to continue to win and the recruiting will sort itself out (thanks captain obvious). I see some top 10 classes in the future if it continues. Now consistent top 10/5 classes is different story and will need some nattys in order to do that.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Question for the old timers (sorry for redundancy as I know this was touched on is some other thread weeks or months ago): What were the rankings on some of our overall best recruiting classes in the pre-internet TBS world, like back when we had the Husky Hunters? The elite national championship players -e.g., NFL linemen from WA - are right in our own backyard; we just need to quit having failure to communicate with these kids. And if they want that Stanford education instead of a perfectly legit public ivy one, then we need to have out DL give them a beating.
  • Options
    phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If a boar had tits, I would fondle them
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,753
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Disagree. I don't see why Petersen wouldn't be able to cash in on top 15/10 recruiting classes consistently if the program continues to win. Besides LA, Seattle (fuck off boobs) is probably the best market to be in on the west coast and there is plenty of talent on this side of the country to compete with everyone else.

The key thing is to continue to win and the recruiting will sort itself out (thanks captain obvious). I see some top 10 classes in the future if it continues. Now consistent top 10/5 classes is different story and will need some nattys in order to do that.
    Seattle's weather sucks.....

Even in the summertime.

But Sailgating is auce!!!!
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,764
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    salemcoog said:

Even in the summertime.

Seattle weather sucks in the summertime?

Cuog plz
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,753
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

salemcoog said:

Even in the summertime.

Cuog plz
    Obviously you haven't spent many Summers outside of Seattle.

You see in most other places you get more than 10 Sunny Days where the temp exceeds 80 degrees.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

Even in the summertime.

Cuog plz
    Obviously you haven't spent many Summers outside of Seattle.

You see in most other places you get more than 10 Sunny Days where the temp exceeds 80 degrees.
    Obviously you don't know about this thing called "climate change". We had like 40 to 50 days over 80 degrees last year. It's gonna be like Palm Springs North up here before we know it, except we'll have all the water we need. And if we start running a little low, we can dam up a pretty mountain valley in the Cascades.
  • Options
    GiantOnMontlakeGiantOnMontlake Member Posts: 22
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Photogenic
    If we keep winning I agree with C___Waffle that the recruiting will figure itself out. But I am still watching to see if Coach Pete and staff CAN recruit with the big boys.. or at least give The Condoms a run for their money! There's definitely enough recruits on the West Coast and I noticed this staff can dip into Texas as well.

The comment on Seattle's weather... DawgShit!! This is not 1977 where a sign on the I-5 said "Last person to leave, please turn-off the lights". We're in the 21st Century now Seattle is in super high demand. Coach Pete mentioned its a great city for everyone, including student-athletes. We need to sell that up rather than cowering about the rain!
  • Options

If we keep winning I agree with C___Waffle that the recruiting will figure itself out. But I am still watching to see if Coach Pete and staff CAN recruit with the big boys.. or at least give The Condoms a run for their money! There's definitely enough recruits on the West Coast and I noticed this staff can dip into Texas as well.

The comment on Seattle's weather... DawgShit!! This is not 1977 where a sign on the I-5 said "Last person to leave, please turn-off the lights". We're in the 21st Century now Seattle is in super high demand. Coach Pete mentioned its a great city for everyone, including student-athletes. We need to sell that up rather than cowering about the rain!

Hi....... Now bye.... LEAVE