Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Penn State rushes the field after win vs Buckeyes in White Out game.

2»

Comments

• Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    doogie said:

... and standing room only tickets for the next Seattle Seahawks game vs. who? Start at $200 on the secondary market.

go figure

Seahawk fans are known idiots.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    doogie said:

... and standing room only tickets for the next Seattle Seahawks game vs. who? Start at $200 on the secondary market.

go figure

People are more likely to buy tickets to see a team that's been winning for years than one that's winning for the first time in years.

*Shocker*

Also, tickets are available for $61 to see them play the 49ers, so it's not like every game draws those huge prices on the secondary market.
  • Options
    DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

The more important quote in all of this is that this isnt' 1991 anymore where tube tv's were all the rage and you could literally only tell the difference between a while player, black player, a chincredible player and different color uniforms.

In today's world, I can buy a 70" 4k tv for what it would cost to take myself and son(or husband) to a season full of games. Then add on food, parking, headaches of traffic etc all for the love of watching oregon state. It's easier for me to say since i don't live near seattle to have teh pleasure of going to multiple games per year, but i'd rather just poney up for a few of the big games(a la going to utah this weekend), rather than pay the full boat to watch the dreck.

While I will crucify the wonderful AD at UW day in and day out, I do believe attendance will continue to be an issue for teams across the land. You'll still have your small pockets of people with nothing to do in their lives buck shuck corn and touch children between game days, but there has been a declining live fan base for some time now and tv is only making it easier to stay home with a few buddies and do herion practice blood draws on the couch while watching the game.

Agreed. The fact that taking your son and his other dad to see the mighty Vandals of Moscow will set you back nearly the same price as a smartly-booked (flight/2 nights hotel that wants your money...obviously the hookers and blow will be extra) weekend in Vegas is highway fucking robbery. Tits McCohen can whine all she wants while the CEO chastises his poasters for being bad fans but that doesn't change the fact that there's a certain section of the fanbase that isn't coming back. And if she cared about filling the stadium half as much as she pretends to, she'd make the tickets a more attractive option. But at the end of the day, they'd rather 10,000 $70 tickets go unsold than to get creative with different pricing structures. Or maybe try something radical like replacing Rutgers with Wisconsin and the FCS team du jour with BYU. Even during owentwelve, OU tickets were sold out during Fall camp and BYU looked pretty damn close. That would take effort, though. As well as actually being in touch with your core audience.

And the whole 'real fan' argument, guilt trip garbage certain people throw out is pure horseshit. If you're a die-hard Husky fan 25 years ago and want to follow the team closely/see every game, your only option was to buy tickets. Whereas now, that same die-hard fan can follow the team just as closely without giving up his whole day and flushing a couple benjamins down the toilet. UW media relations/marketing/AD/whoever the fuck act as if all they need to do is announce 'football game' and they're entitled to my small fortune to see Portland State. When you can watch every single game, as Chavez said, on a 70" crystal-clear screen and shoot heroin turn on the Bama game when the plungers have been broken out before halftime. And this is an issue all over, except for places like Ped State where there's literally nothing else to do. Wazzu can barely fill a high school stadium. Same with the beavs. An Oregon sellout has about the same number of fans as our worst attended games since expansion. Stanford's stadium is a morgue. Most Cal/Colorado/USC/UCLA/ASU games are lucky to be 3/4 full. I actually think 60k for Portland State is more than should be expected.

• Options
    If tv rights are what everyone says they are then in-stadium tickets should be under $50.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

In most cases i would agree with all of you. But jesus fuck, it's oregon state. People came out for stanford and absolutely showed that UW can be UW of old. But sometimes you're going to have games where the team coming in has zero fans traveling and our fans choose that game as a time not to attend for any number of reasons. I would love to see it packed to the gills every fucking game too, but I do understand how oregon state isn't exactly a team casual fans are running down ticket scalpers for seats

That's quite possible. I have to wonder how much the current success of the Seahawks plays into this. If I recall correctly, when Don James coached the team we were packing the seats with not only the Husky faithful, but also the casual Seattle sports fans because the Hawks were such shit back then. The stands were full for even the Oregon State game because the Dawgs were the hot ticket. Fast forward to now and all those casual fans would rather spend money to go to a Hawks game.
    Don't forget the Sounders and the Mariners as well.

Attending sporting events is super fucking expensive now. I was looking through my old ticket stubs the other day and the Ducks vs. ASU in 1998 was $35. Today in that same spot with donation I would be way over $120 per seat. ASU sucked dick then and they suck dick now. Before Slingblade fucked this thing up in the simplest of forms it's still Oregon blowing out ASU at Autzen. Does that really justify a 400% increase just because 20 years has passed? I don't think so.

Physical butts in seats will continue to dwindle with the priority of HD television.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

The more important quote in all of this is that this isnt' 1991 anymore where tube tv's were all the rage and you could literally only tell the difference between a while player, black player, a chincredible player and different color uniforms.

In today's world, I can buy a 70" 4k tv for what it would cost to take myself and son(or husband) to a season full of games. Then add on food, parking, headaches of traffic etc all for the love of watching oregon state. It's easier for me to say since i don't live near seattle to have teh pleasure of going to multiple games per year, but i'd rather just poney up for a few of the big games(a la going to utah this weekend), rather than pay the full boat to watch the dreck.

While I will crucify the wonderful AD at UW day in and day out, I do believe attendance will continue to be an issue for teams across the land. You'll still have your small pockets of people with nothing to do in their lives buck shuck corn and touch children between game days, but there has been a declining live fan base for some time now and tv is only making it easier to stay home with a few buddies and do herion practice blood draws on the couch while watching the game.

Agreed. The fact that taking your son and his other dad to see the mighty Vandals of Moscow will set you back nearly the same price as a smartly-booked (flight/2 nights hotel that wants your money...obviously the hookers and blow will be extra) weekend in Vegas is highway fucking robbery. Tits McCohen can whine all she wants while the CEO chastises his poasters for being bad fans but that doesn't change the fact that there's a certain section of the fanbase that isn't coming back. And if she cared about filling the stadium half as much as she pretends to, she'd make the tickets a more attractive option. But at the end of the day, they'd rather 10,000 $70 tickets go unsold than to get creative with different pricing structures. Or maybe try something radical like replacing Rutgers with Wisconsin and the FCS team du jour with BYU. Even during owentwelve, OU tickets were sold out during Fall camp and BYU looked pretty damn close. That would take effort, though. As well as actually being in touch with your core audience.

And the whole 'real fan' argument, guilt trip garbage certain people throw out is pure horseshit. If you're a die-hard Husky fan 25 years ago and want to follow the team closely/see every game, your only option was to buy tickets. Whereas now, that same die-hard fan can follow the team just as closely without giving up his whole day and flushing a couple benjamins down the toilet. UW media relations/marketing/AD/whoever the fuck act as if all they need to do is announce 'football game' and they're entitled to my small fortune to see Portland State. When you can watch every single game, as Chavez said, on a 70" crystal-clear screen and shoot heroin turn on the Bama game when the plungers have been broken out before halftime. And this is an issue all over, except for places like Ped State where there's literally nothing else to do. Wazzu can barely fill a high school stadium. Same with the beavs. An Oregon sellout has about the same number of fans as our worst attended games since expansion. Stanford's stadium is a morgue. Most Cal/Colorado/USC/UCLA/ASU games are lucky to be 3/4 full. I actually think 60k for Portland State is more than should be expected.

Agree
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    doogie said:

#4 ranking.

Undefeated.

What in the fuck are people waiting for other than perhaps a roster more inclusive of the Rainbow?

To play and beat someone who hasn't lost 80% or more of their games this Season.
  • Options
    AlexisAlexis Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,007
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Discussion has been had numerous times before. Husky stadium will never be what it was because the school has spent the last couple of decades chasing off the types of fans that made it what it was forever.
    I went to the games with my (main) dad since I was about 8. Grew up a huge fan. Went to bowl games. Entered UW and continued to buy tickets afterwards (I hate money)
    My youngest son, who had been coming to games with me since he was about 8, and was a huge UW fan until last spring when he didn't get into UW, with better grades than I ever had. He's now going to games in Tempe, and probably will never come back.

Asians don't like football. Out of state students who get into UW don't always stay up here after graduation. The grads who do like football, stay in the area, and have the tyee money are now software geeks who get one or two tickets, not owners of construction companies and car dealerships who get 8 tickets and give them out to clients.

A few years of good teams will bring over the 12s, the neck tattooed Maple Valley guys, but the group that always assured Husky Stadium of a sellout is long dead and gone.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Alexis said:

Discussion has been had numerous times before. Husky stadium will never be what it was because the school has spent the last couple of decades chasing off the types of fans that made it what it was forever.
    I went to the games with my (main) dad since I was about 8. Grew up a huge fan. Went to bowl games. Entered UW and continued to buy tickets afterwards (I hate money)
    My youngest son, who had been coming to games with me since he was about 8, and was a huge UW fan until last spring when he didn't get into UW, with better grades than I ever had. He's now going to games in Tempe, and probably will never come back.

Asians don't like football. Out of state students who get into UW don't always stay up here after graduation. The grads who do like football, stay in the area, and have the tyee money are now software geeks who get one or two tickets, not owners of construction companies and car dealerships who get 8 tickets and give them out to clients.

A few years of good teams will bring over the 12s, the neck tattooed Maple Valley guys, but the group that always assured Husky Stadium of a sellout is long dead and gone.

@RoadDawg55-san excepted of course.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,067
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Alexis said:

Great fucking post.
  • Options

Alexis said:

@RoadDawg55-san excepted of course.
    And Rapp Culture.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Alexis said:

Rapp Culture just needs more time!
  • Options
    I prefer to watch at home. It's cheaper and the beer is colder. Plus I can catch some other games with my peeps , in HD.