Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Scoring in CFB?

godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,450 Founders Club

The weekly scores in college football have become arena like, led by the Big XII.

What can be done to change this? I do know tv is not going to let these games keep getting longer and longer. Most are now taking 3.5-4 hours to play.

I get people want to see scoring, but more and more of these games look like 7 on 7 drills tackling optional, which is going to result in people changing the channel.

Are they going to change the rules where an incomplete pass stops the clock until the ball is placed at the los then starts running?

Your not putting the spread offense genie back in the bottle, but games like Oklahoma State vs. Texas Tech are gawd awful and terrible for the game.

Comments

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,422 Founders Club
    The Oklahoma game 66-59 was an abomination. Both teams should be forced to forfeit.
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    edited October 2016
    Here's the problem. Coaches are hired specifically to play arena league football. See dykes at cal kingsbury at Texas Tech leach at wsu, etc.
    Many schools simply think 55-52 is their best chance to win on a weekly basis. Fuck that
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,450 Founders Club
    dhdawg said:

Here's the problem. Coaches are hired specifically to play arena league football. See dykes at cal kingsbury at Texas Tech leach at wsu, etc.
    Many schools simply think 55-52 is their best chance to win on a weekly basis. Fuck that

But that style of play will only take you so far. At some point when you play a real defense you are screwed.

It's like your admitting there's a ceiling to what/where your program can go. I.E Dykes is saying to his kids and fans "We can never win the Pac-12 North at Cal, so our goal is to win 7-8 games a year, maybe 9 and be entertaining as hell doing it" If I am a kid why would I want to play there, or as a fan why would I want to support both economically or emotionally a school that is admitting it can never win the conference championship or play in a Rose Bowl?
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493

Colorado 10, Stanford 5.

Fuck off.

Wow. One game.

Colorado 10, Stanford 5.

Fuck off.

Wow. One game.
    tOSU PSU was a good defensive battle.
    The difference was unlike in Stanford Colorado the offenses weren't total dreck
  • phineasphineas Member Posts: 4,732
    I like it. I especially like it when my team is one of the few that decides defense is important.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,710 Swaye's Wigwam
    Just watch Big 10 and SEC football instead.

Problem solved.
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,450 Founders Club

Problem solved.

True, but it's like a virus that keeps spreading little by little, and each week there are more and more games like this.

Also, ESPN/FOX, etc don't do the sport any favors by showcasing those types of games.

• doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320

Colorado 10, Stanford 5.

Fuck off.

Wow. One game.
    Badger 17 Hawkeye 9
    Michigan 14 Badger 7

Etc.

Non issue.
  • 79smoothdawg79smoothdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 714 Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

godawgst said:

dhdawg said:

But that style of play will only take you so far. At some point when you play a real defense you are screwed.

It's like your admitting there's a ceiling to what/where your program can go. I.E Dykes is saying to his kids and fans "We can never win the Pac-12 North at Cal, so our goal is to win 7-8 games a year, maybe 9 and be entertaining as hell doing it" If I am a kid why would I want to play there, or as a fan why would I want to support both economically or emotionally a school that is admitting it can never win the conference championship or play in a Rose Bowl?
    As a fan of Cal football, I won't support it precisely because the style of play means we'll wiin some and loose some but never play for anything of consequence. Last year our AD said something along the lines of We have big donors who are OK if we go 3-9 and our APR is 975. If that's the case, they've got the perfect coach and those big donors will soon be watching Cal games in a mostly empty stadium.

I don't have any hard evidence to back it up, but I think that it tends to attract good offensive recruits who want to showcase themselves for NFL scouts, and also repel good defensive recruits who want to go where they take defense seriously. There's discussion on BI about how this last recruiting cycle Dykes took in a gaggle of WR recruits but only two LBs or DLs. Is it a result of their recruiting focus being on offense, or did they want defense guys but couldn't get them because nobody wanted to come to defenseless Cal? The flip side of that is that you might get immediate PT by going to a team with shit defense, but then you might just end up being labeled as a guy with a lot of PT in his career on a shit defense.
    Did you mean lose or loose? I got confused
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Problem solved.

Theres' less defense in the SEC than you think there is. SEC DEFENSE exists, but only at a handful of schools. Most of them are just as drecky defensively as the Pac.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,530 Founders Club
    The length of games is getting ridiculous. There was a SEC game that was on past 5:00 and it started at 12:30 (probably more like 12:40, but still). It was aTm and...someone, and yeah, there were one or two overtimes, but those shouldn't take that long. Those are usually 2-5 plays per team. I fell asleep during the Kal/Oregon game. People past 30 who work aren't going to be able to stay up until 11:30 real often.

Games should be 3 hours, or maybe 3 hours and 10 minutes. Change the rules so it happens. The NFL did it. There's no reason college can't adjust some things.
  • FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    dnc said:

Problem solved.

Theres' less defense in the SEC than you think there is. SEC DEFENSE exists, but only at a handful of schools. Most of them are just as drecky defensively as the Pac.
    I would imagine part of the "defensive" bullshit that resonates with the SEC crowd is the inability to realize they rarely have QB's who can throw the ball. The top 2 or 3 teams do of course, but the rest are literally Oregon State wannabe's with 5* ratings b/c they are from the Southeast.
    The only conference that consistently plays good defense these days is the big ten. They also tend to have the worst throwing quarterbacks as well.
    Sec defense is mediocre, ACC is bad. Pac is dreck and big-12 is an abomination
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    Alabama is running a variant of the spread. Get over it or watch football on Sundays.
    AZDuck said:

Alabama is running a variant of the spread. Get over it or watch football on Sundays.

no one outside of purplej wants 1950's style football.

I don't think teams caring about defense is too much to ask for though