Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Chest, True? -- Relative SRS scores over the last 30 years for UW and UO

MuttzenMuttzen Member Posts: 1,015
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
edited October 2016 in Hardcore Husky Board
@TheChart , @HeretoBeatmyChest

Context:
1.0 is worst SRS rating in the Pac10/12, 0.0 is the best.

2016 uses the current SRS scores.

Colors are the school colors (I substituted green for Oregon instead of Cal blue)

Thoughts:
Chip Kelly was a hell of a coach.

Gilby, leader of midgets, was not.

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2016
    A little more explanation on the methodology:

Used this site
    http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2016-ratings.html

I used a formula to convert the Pac 12 ranking of SRS from a scale of 1-12 (or 1-10) to a scale of 0.0-1.0

Formula:
    0-1 Scaled rank = ( Pac10/12 rank - 1 ) / ( Number of Pac schools - 1 )

Example: UW is currently ranked 9 overall in SRS, which is 1st in the Pac 12.
    ( 1 - 1 )/( 12 - 1) = 0 in 2016

Example: UO is currently ranked 56 overall in SRS, which is 10th in the Pac 12.
    ( 10 - 1 )/( 12 - 1) = 0.8181... in 2016

I went with the 0-1 scale over a 0-12 (@Owen12 har har) scale so that I could normalize the Pac12 and Pac 10 teams.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Here is Stanford.

Coaching matters. Year 3 matters.

Technically these would be better as scatterplots, or straight lines, but the curved ones look nicer.
  • Options
    Here is one for the relative strength of the Pac-12 from 1992 to 2016. These are absolute SRS rankings.

Blue is the SRS of the strongest team, Orange is the median SRS, Grey is the SRS of the weakest team.

Notes:

The number of teams that are rated has increased from 107 in 1992 to 128 in 2016. This may explain the slight trend in the worst Pac12 team getting worse over time.

The best team in the Pac-10 sucked in 1999. Who?? Willingham's Rose bowl team at Stanford.

The average strength of the Pac fluctuates but hasn't changed that much over time.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,798
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Mad_Son said:

If you flipped the vertical axis, or changed your variable to 1-relativeposition (obviously those do the exact same thing in effect), good results would be high and bad results would be low which is a lot more intuitive I think. Cool charts none the less.

Can you do my other homework? Like chemistry?
  • Options

Shoutout to @Mad_Son for asking for an obvious conversion. I will admit I thought of asking, but didn't because I thought anyone who would put an inverted Y axis on a chart was probably retarded and already stretched beyond their capacity.

Some faith in humanity is restored. The 'more intuitive' charts should be pinned for 3 reasons:

1) they expose Gilby's manboobs as the true assassin of our team, though the slide under Rick was undeniable.

2) they show that Harbs took the Tree from the lowest of the low to damn good in 3 fucking years.

and

3) they show that Lambo's teams underperformed like a motherfucker.

3 points that Doogs hate.

FTFY

also my dads said I was smart, but I chose to follow husky football in the mid 2000s, so there's that.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper

I am both drunk and angry, which makes this expression of confusion so important and, ultimately, influential.
  • Options
    drogginsdroggins Member Posts: 804
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited October 2016
    I heard the football IQ of this site decreased by some 70% when chest left. True?
  • Options
    Chest needed to go and his contributions will not be missed.