Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

UW went down 1 on poll

Comments

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Baphomet said:

For some reason I'm just not concerned about Arizona at all.

I hope the coaches are. I'm not convinced our passing game is going to be all that great against Pac 12 caliber DBs, and even though we finally broke 200 yards rushing, it was against Portland Fucking State.
    Arizona doesn't have Pac 12 caliber DBs...or LBs...or DL...
    Based on?
  • Options
    SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,807
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Why would you be - Tennessee doesn't play them.
  • Options

Baphomet said:

I hope the coaches are. I'm not convinced our passing game is going to be all that great against Pac 12 caliber DBs, and even though we finally broke 200 yards rushing, it was against Portland Fucking State.
    Based on?
    Getting pushed around by Grambling State
    For a half.

Arizona probably sucks.
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,236
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
  • Options

Mad_Son said:

Eight was too high anyway (no sarcasm).

It is obvious why we are ranked where we are - ESPN needs a story line to give the Pac-12 its token Gameday appearance this year.
    No its obvious because outside of the top 6 its a fucking dreckfest. There are no other teams that have performed even reasonably well for three straight games even against awful competition.

Wisconsin beat Georgia State by 6 as a 36 point favorite. at home They are #11.

Georgia beat Nicholls by 2 as a 53 point favorite at home. They needed Missouri to completely shit the bed for the entire fourth quarter to pull out a one point victory. They are #12.

Florida State just got boatraced, Sark style, by Louisville. They are #13.

Tennessee needed OT at home to beat App State as a 21.5 point favorite. They then let Ohio hang around until the 4th quarter as a 28 point favorite at home. They are #14.

Are we done here or should I keep going?

This fiction that we don't have any information about UW because we haven't played anyone is ridiculous. We return nearly everyone of note from a GOOD 2015 defense. Our DL actually averages 332 Lbs across the line and is ready to rumble. Our entire secondary is going to the NFL. And on offense we returned our starting QB,RB, 4 OL, and added back Three-Win John Ross.

If that isn't a top-10 team then the staff completely failed and should be fired.
    This is the best argument against college football polls before October that I have ever read.
  • Options
    unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    This is complete bullshit. If we played in the SEC, we're not dropping down to #9 in the AP
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,503
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Pete should have left the starters in all game so that we could hang 60+ on psu and keep our meaningless ranking.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,712
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Baphomet said:

Based on?
    Three members of their DL rotation including two DTs are listed under 250 lbs...one is a former walk-on. They basically never get any sacks or even pressure from this unit. In their old 3-3-5 scheme the DL was basically just supposed to occupy blockers while Scooby Wright and the other LBs and Safeties flew around the field (it didn't work they fired nearly their entire D staff.) The DTs had two tackles against Hawaii and nobody on the DL had a sack.

The LBs have experience but are all either a. slow b. small or c. both. One of them is Michael Barton who couldn't see the field at Cal. If you can't play on Cal's D you are not Pac-12 caliber. Cody Ippollito is basically a slower and fatter Cort Dennison. Paul Magloire and DeAndre Miller are actually pretty good.

At safety you have Tellas Jones and a bunch of lightly recruited underclassmen who don't have any experience. Jones was injured against BYU and hasn't played since.

At corner you do have some experience- experience getting routinely roasted by Pac-12 WRs. DaVonte Neal is very athletic but can't play corner. McCall won't be able to keep up with Chico or Ross.
  • Options
    unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment

This is complete bullshit. If we played in the SEC, we're not dropping down to #9 in the AP

Michigan State and Louisville beat actual football teams.

Hope this helps.
    Saw the Michael Yam tweet this AM. Tee hee hee! Gotcha
  • Options
    Founders Club

Michigan State and Louisville beat actual football teams.

Hope this helps.
    Saw the Michael Yam tweet this AM. Tee hee hee! Gotcha
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,529
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

We are ranked above TAMU and Georgia. Both of which are undefeated and beat actual teams.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    PurpleJ said:

We are ranked above TAMU and Georgia. Both of which are undefeated and beat actual teams.
    Whooooooosh
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,093
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited September 2016

This fiction that we don't have any information about UW because we haven't played anyone is ridiculous.

That isn't the message, at least from me. Even earlier in this thread I think we've shown we can beat Arizona rather easily, say 34-17 (actually, I think easier than that). We have not proven that we are a top 10 team though. Sure, some others who are currently potentially ranked too high have struggled against lower tier competition, and we haven't. That is good for us, but beating up on patsies really isn't the same as hanging with the big boys. Once we do that then we will have arrived. It is clear we are not complete dreck based on what we've done so far. That is good, but insufficient.

Edit: It is also worth noting that in a retrospective maybe things will be more clear on where we are today based on the results we have today. Maybe Rutgers will turn out to be a better team than we realized and beating them down was very meaningful. In the meantime they are unproven. Uncertainty is uncertainty. It does not mean we are good and it does not mean we are bad. We may be good but that is uncertain.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,712
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Mad_Son said:

This fiction that we don't have any information about UW because we haven't played anyone is ridiculous.

That isn't the message, at least from me. Even earlier in this thread I think we've shown we can beat Arizona rather easily, say 34-17 (actually, I think easier than that). We have not proven that we are a top 10 team though. Sure, some others who are currently potentially ranked too high have struggled against lower tier competition, and we haven't. That is good for us, but beating up on patsies really isn't the same as hanging with the big boys. Once we do that then we will have arrived. It is clear we are not complete dreck based on what we've done so far. That is good, but insufficient.
    That part was addressed at the hive mind not you in particular. I didn't feel like multi-quoting, apologies. I think I agree with you other than the "proving" it part as nothing is proven in polls until the end of the season.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Mad_Son said:

Mad_Son said:

This team has not proven it can hang with the best, but Arizona is far from the best. I don't think we'll have any trouble with them.
    As an undefeated team, we have not beat a mid-tier team on the road since '01.
    What makes a team mid-tier? I get there have been cultural issues that have perpetuated a dearth of mental fortitude, just want to understand where that statistic comes from.
    A team that finished in the upper half of the Pac-12 or a team like BYU that isn't great, but doesn't suck. I mean, it was a subjective judgment... for instance, I don't count beating a shit tier SYR team on the road when that team went on to get blasted in their own conference. Actually, I had the year wrong. It was '98 the last time we beat a decent team on the road as an undefeated (the Reggie Davis play).

The thing I'm fascinated by is ON THIS BORED, where everyone knows we shit the bed constantly, people are too stupid to recognize that the problem is more than just losing to TOP TIER TEAMS.

The problem is getting beat on the road like a drum by every team we play.

EVEN IF we lose to Stanford and Oregon, beating Zona on the road as an undefeated team would be a big step forward and something we haven't done in a long time.

The reason why it's important that we do it while we are undefeated is that it's a sign that we are dealing with expectations. Every time we go on the road and have any sort of expectations (save beating dog shit like HAW, SYR and ILL) we fold.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Arizona just doesn't have the talent like F Troll said in detail. RichRod always take 28 man recruiting classes, and most of them are two and three stars. I don't follow them as closely anymore but they struggled against a 1-2 BYU team. They're a 6-6 team...a team that a contender should take care of....