Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Next Don James

Comments

• TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959
    dnc said:

I agree -- he's probably not the guy, but for every Pete Carroll there is a Charlie Weis with his "decided schematic advantage". You guys act like this is fucking simple. It's not. Everyone wants a top 5 team. Few have the "resources" we do, but it's not like you fucking hire a guy and watch the wins rack up. Mora may struggle up here just as much as sark. WE DON'T KNOW...

First of all, you're wrong. There isn't a Charlie Weis for every Carroll. There's one Weis. And then there's Carroll, Saban, Spurrier and Petrino who all failed in the NFL and rocked in college. And Mora's NFL performance stacks up very well against those guys with the notable exception of Carroll's latest NFL stint.

Secondly, Weis was an NFL assistant, not an NFL HC. He was a head coach for the first time at ND. Mora is in no possible way analogous to Weis.

Being a failed NFL HC doesn't guarantee you'll be a success in college but it's a point in your favor, not a point against you like some doogiemcdoogerson's like to think.

I've had the Mora argument so many times it's hard to muster the energy to do it again, but Jake Almighty man. First doogs claimed he couldn't recruit in college, now his recruiting kicks ass so we don't know if he could recruit to Seattle? Come on man. He's a passionate, high energy, charismatic guy who obviously connects well with young people. He has NFL HC experience. He seems to have a great eye for talent. And, btw, he's an alum of the school in question. If you "don't know" if Mora can recruit to UW then you don't know if Nick Saban could recruit to UW.

Recruiting isn't hard to figure out. Some guys have it. Mora is one of them. He'd kill it in recruiting at UW.

My old 2008 hire Mora argument went something like this:

1) Defensive minded coach - which is a great fit for two reasons: first, the traditional UW fanbase has a real affinity for defense, second, the conference is almost entirely offensive minded HC's and Mora could quickly establish UW as the destination school for West Coast defenders.

2) Recruiting. Pretty much covered this above - the 08 argument covered why I thought he'd be a great recruiter. It has completely proven true. And it will prove true at UW as well, if we ever hire him.

3) NFL experience - Mostly covered. This helps him as a recruiter of high school talent as well as coaching talent. It also gives him access to some of the greatest minds in coaching for advice, brainstorming, etc.

4) Some other reason I can't remember anymore. Who cares at this point. What he's doing at UCLA is argument enough.

Mora in 2014!

I'm with APAG, I hope this is a giant whoosh. Otherwise, time to run Section14a.

I always preferred your 2006 argument to hire Jim E Mora.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

I agree -- he's probably not the guy, but for every Pete Carroll there is a Charlie Weis with his "decided schematic advantage". You guys act like this is fucking simple. It's not. Everyone wants a top 5 team. Few have the "resources" we do, but it's not like you fucking hire a guy and watch the wins rack up. Mora may struggle up here just as much as sark. WE DON'T KNOW...

First of all, you're wrong. There isn't a Charlie Weis for every Carroll. There's one Weis. And then there's Carroll, Saban, Spurrier and Petrino who all failed in the NFL and rocked in college. And Mora's NFL performance stacks up very well against those guys with the notable exception of Carroll's latest NFL stint.

Secondly, Weis was an NFL assistant, not an NFL HC. He was a head coach for the first time at ND. Mora is in no possible way analogous to Weis.

Being a failed NFL HC doesn't guarantee you'll be a success in college but it's a point in your favor, not a point against you like some doogiemcdoogerson's like to think.

I've had the Mora argument so many times it's hard to muster the energy to do it again, but Jake Almighty man. First doogs claimed he couldn't recruit in college, now his recruiting kicks ass so we don't know if he could recruit to Seattle? Come on man. He's a passionate, high energy, charismatic guy who obviously connects well with young people. He has NFL HC experience. He seems to have a great eye for talent. And, btw, he's an alum of the school in question. If you "don't know" if Mora can recruit to UW then you don't know if Nick Saban could recruit to UW.

Recruiting isn't hard to figure out. Some guys have it. Mora is one of them. He'd kill it in recruiting at UW.

My old 2008 hire Mora argument went something like this:

1) Defensive minded coach - which is a great fit for two reasons: first, the traditional UW fanbase has a real affinity for defense, second, the conference is almost entirely offensive minded HC's and Mora could quickly establish UW as the destination school for West Coast defenders.

2) Recruiting. Pretty much covered this above - the 08 argument covered why I thought he'd be a great recruiter. It has completely proven true. And it will prove true at UW as well, if we ever hire him.

3) NFL experience - Mostly covered. This helps him as a recruiter of high school talent as well as coaching talent. It also gives him access to some of the greatest minds in coaching for advice, brainstorming, etc.

4) Some other reason I can't remember anymore. Who cares at this point. What he's doing at UCLA is argument enough.

Mora in 2014!

I'm with APAG, I hope this is a giant whoosh. Otherwise, time to run Section14a.

I always preferred your 2006 argument to hire Jim E Mora.
    Most people don't remember that argument.

Kudos.
  • iDawgiDawg Member Posts: 129

The staff is just more doogism. Great coaches don't need to hire good staffs, they make great staffs. If the only way Sark can be successful is if he has a great staff then UW is screwed because good assistants LEAVE! No school can just constantly turn over hired gun great assistant coaches.

Genius insight. Honest.

November 15th. A date that will live in infamy.

• TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959
    iDawg said:

The staff is just more doogism. Great coaches don't need to hire good staffs, they make great staffs. If the only way Sark can be successful is if he has a great staff then UW is screwed because good assistants LEAVE! No school can just constantly turn over hired gun great assistant coaches.

Genius insight. Honest.

November 15th. A date that will live in infamy.

WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU???
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,594 Founders Club

If Mora is the fucking guy then why does his NFL record suck? Why did pete come in and turn his shit around? You telling me it's a no brainer? That he doesn't need good assistants like Sark has? That he'll fucking make his assistants and turn Kent Baer into a top DC? He's not Jesus, man. You gotta have good assistants. If you don't know that, you're an idiot.

Maybe I'm the one getting whooshed. This man-crush on Mora is a fucking joke.

Don't let the facts get in the way: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_L._Mora

First Four Years coaching in the NFL:

Pete Carroll 33-31

Jim Mora 32-34

• whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    If we are going to look at more under
    the radar, should be looking at Rod Carey
    from Northern Illinois. Like coaches with a
    bias towards running the ball.
  • iDawgiDawg Member Posts: 129
    No way Mora comes.

If he was too loyal to the Seahawks and to an NFL that fires coaches in a heartbeat, no way he can look those UCLA kids in the eye (I like to call them kids because Damone likes that) and say goodbye.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    Things are so fucked for UW, I almost feel sorry for you guys. The situation reminds me of Texas, where the fanbase is ready to riot and then Mack Brown managed to beat the worst K-State and Oklahoma teams in a decade. UW wins enough under Sark to keep Woody happy and the cash continues to flow into the program, which means that Sark is safe.

Ohio State understood what it means to beat a rival. John Cooper won 2 BCS bowls and went 11-1, 10-3, 11-1, 6-6 and 8-4 in his last five seasons and OSU fired his ass because he was 2-10-1 against Meatchicken.

Then OSU went and found a guy who could coach and win - Jim Tressel, who was coaching and winning at Youngstown Fucking State. They didn't go for the glitz hire, they did their fucking due diligence and found themselves a winner. If UW does that I will worry, but they won't do that with the AD as currently configured.

If you guys want to have an impact, maybe you should take a page from Shaggy Bevo and get a plane to fly a banner around Husky Stadium during the next home game reading "7-6 is not our standard"
  • loadsockloadsock Member Posts: 686
    Can we have your very own Uncle Phil kick in the cash for that banner? I wonder if SWS would cry when he looked up from the sidelines.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295

I agree it's not simple. That's why you have to be willing to fire coaches every few years until you find the right coach.

Mora has already proven he's better than Sark, by the way.

Not a lot to prove there...
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

I agree it's not simple. That's why you have to be willing to fire coaches every few years until you find the right coach.

You would be surprised. There are still a lot of fucktards in the media and in the Husky fanbase who think otherwise.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,050 Standard Supporter

good point can we please get the fanbase to understand that we should not judge the merits of any future coach on crappy coaches pasts?

I would just like a consistent top 20 program that sends every recruiting class to the rose bowl at least once and another bcs game once a decade and I would stop bitching.

I don't care what coaches did before because this is the standard I have for the program no matter who is in charge.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419

good point can we please get the fanbase to understand that we should not judge the merits of any future coach on crappy coaches pasts?

I would just like a consistent top 20 program that sends every recruiting class to the rose bowl at least once and another bcs game once a decade and I would stop bitching.

I don't care what coaches did before because this is the standard I have for the program no matter who is in charge.
    yup. the end.
  • TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389

from smaller, obscure schools...discuss

Here's a go-getter I like, from Maine (same age as Chip).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Wilder

Too risky?

Is Wilder a defensive minded coach and does he emphasize mentoring all phases of football, special teams and defense as well or more so than offense? By now, we should all recognize that Husky Football and those of us who truly support the program have had a belly full of offensive minded head coaches: Gilby, Neut, and now Sark. Did anybody ever know what the fuck Willingham was other than a fraud and loser? UW must also stay away from head coaching candidates who have no prior head coaching experience at any level.

Perhaps the most successful Division 1AA (FCS) football conference, the Big Sky, has always been the cradle of offensive minded head coaches. WSU alone has hired several....... Sweeny, Erickson, Price, the clown from EWU, etc. and we all know that wide open football has always been preferred by cooglosers. True Husky Football requires much more if we are to set our goals on winning championships.

• HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,357 Swaye's Wigwam
    This is outside the box thinking....never happen at UW
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,050 Standard Supporter
    Tailgater said:

from smaller, obscure schools...discuss

Here's a go-getter I like, from Maine (same age as Chip).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Wilder

Too risky?

Is Wilder a defensive minded coach and does he emphasize mentoring all phases of football, special teams and defense as well or more so than offense? By now, we should all recognize that Husky Football and those of us who truly support the program have had a belly full of offensive minded head coaches: Gilby, Neut, and now Sark. Did anybody ever know what the fuck Willingham was other than a fraud and loser? UW must also stay away from head coaching candidates who have no prior head coaching experience at any level.

Perhaps the most successful Division 1AA (FCS) football conference, the Big Sky, has always been the cradle of offensive minded head coaches. WSU alone has hired several....... Sweeny, Erickson, Price, the clown from EWU, etc. and we all know that wide open football has always been preferred by cooglosers. True Husky Football requires much more if we are to set our goals on winning championships.

I like a good defense as much as the next guy but winning is winning.

Tom Osborne, Bobby Bowden, Chip Kelly, Urban Meyer, Steve Spurrier, and Jim Harbaugh made their marks as offensive minds and I would take them to run my program any day. For the most part they all had good defenses too but some of them had little to do with that side of the ball previously.

Getting stuck on the offensive or defensive background coaches is irrelevant. Hire a winner that can run a program.

Sark was allegedly a great offensive mind when he came to UW. But our offense has had one good year under him (2011) and maybe (2013) we shall see. He sucks though because his teams don't do any one thing well and play undisciplined.

Spurrier started as an offensive genius and ever since going to the Cocks (I like to call them that) they have won on defense with an average to below average offense.

Being a head coach is about running an organized program that gets results and not the style of play or background you came from. If Art Briles could win my team a championship while giving up 40 pts/game (not saying that he will at Baylor), I couldn't care less.
  • ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904

A couple points in this argument.

#1 I wouldn't refer to guys like Saban, Holtz and Spurrier as failed NFL coaches who were then successful in college. Those guys were successful in college, tried and failed (to varying degrees) in the NFL and then went back to college. Besides, Mora and Carroll, what other coaches went from middling success in the NFL to the heights that Carroll reached and Mora is on pace for? Al Groh and Dave Wandestadt come to mind as mediocre pro coaches who then sucked as a college coaches.

#2. Offensive vs. Defensive coaches. Give me a fucking head coach. Don James was a college QB. Harbaugh was a college and pro QB. Both were football coaches. The problem with Sark isn't just that's he's an offensive coach but that he doesn't know enough or care enough about the other phases.

#3. If you're going to hire a lower-level coach, make sure it's a guy who is crushing the competition at his current level. The couple guys linked on the first page meet that criteria. Sounds like the guy at NDSU does as well. Don't go out and get a WULFF who I seem to remember wasn't exactly dominating the competition at EWU - he seemed to be a decent coach at that level but didn't have a 74-7 record either.

#4. If you're getting a guy with head coaching experience at a large school, don't pull another UW and hire guys who've already proven themselves to be incompetent like Gibly and Ty.

re: #3. How do you explain that you could turn an ordinary seeming Kent State coach into the most successful Husky coach in modern history? It's pretty much given here that Sark will be gone soon enough. Fine. His next job will be as an OC somewhere. Maybe even UW. There are two routes that can be taken for hiring the next coach: Marinerization OR Risk. With marinerization, the goal is to find somebody that will win enough games to keep fans interested, and will guarantee that, but there is no real attempt at creating a contender. Risk you find the next seemingly middling coach at somewhere like Kent State and roll the dice.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

A couple points in this argument.

#1 I wouldn't refer to guys like Saban, Holtz and Spurrier as failed NFL coaches who were then successful in college. Those guys were successful in college, tried and failed (to varying degrees) in the NFL and then went back to college. Besides, Mora and Carroll, what other coaches went from middling success in the NFL to the heights that Carroll reached and Mora is on pace for? Al Groh and Dave Wandestadt come to mind as mediocre pro coaches who then sucked as a college coaches.

#2. Offensive vs. Defensive coaches. Give me a fucking head coach. Don James was a college QB. Harbaugh was a college and pro QB. Both were football coaches. The problem with Sark isn't just that's he's an offensive coach but that he doesn't know enough or care enough about the other phases.

#3. If you're going to hire a lower-level coach, make sure it's a guy who is crushing the competition at his current level. The couple guys linked on the first page meet that criteria. Sounds like the guy at NDSU does as well. Don't go out and get a WULFF who I seem to remember wasn't exactly dominating the competition at EWU - he seemed to be a decent coach at that level but didn't have a 74-7 record either.

#4. If you're getting a guy with head coaching experience at a large school, don't pull another UW and hire guys who've already proven themselves to be incompetent like Gibly and Ty.

re: #3. How do you explain that you could turn an ordinary seeming Kent State coach into the most successful Husky coach in modern history? It's pretty much given here that Sark will be gone soon enough. Fine. His next job will be as an OC somewhere. Maybe even UW. There are two routes that can be taken for hiring the next coach: Marinerization OR Risk. With marinerization, the goal is to find somebody that will win enough games to keep fans interested, and will guarantee that, but there is no real attempt at creating a contender. Risk you find the next seemingly middling coach at somewhere like Kent State and roll the dice.
    I'd take risk over Marinerization in a heartbeat, but why not try to hire Art Briles first?
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_Carey

I know this is only his first year but I do like that he was a former OL coach.

Also I'm aware former OL coaches don't make great head coaches like Gilby just throwing a name out there.

Personally I'd like to see them do what they did in 1998 which is get a proven winner from a BCS school who isn't paying their coach properly.