Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

A Teardown a Day-Bulldozing-the-Way for Bigger Homes in Seattle Suburbs

HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,528
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Standard Supporter
seattletimes.com/business/real-estate/a-teardown-a-day-bulldozing-the-way-for-bigger-homes-in-seattle-suburbs/

This was a post in the comments section. Wonder which HH poaster it was?

"The people here are passive-aggressively hostile and unfriendly. Many of them are not from here, and because of this have no real friends from Seattle.

It is cool, cloudy and drizzly 9-10 months of the year - that's non-stop - as in gray skys and NO sunshine. With no friends and you stuck inside for 10 months, you will become severely depressed just like the vast majority of the other invaders.

And then you have the hostility of the Seattle natives. The people who were born and raised here, and have called this their home for all of their life. We HATE the invaders. We give them the cold shoulder, ignore them and avoid them like the plague.

You see, it's very simple. Seattle used to be a great home - 25 plus years ago. Most of the people living here were native to Seattle. Seattle was a large city with a small town feel. High quality-of-life, low congestion and low cost-of-living. Yes the weather sucked, but we were used to it and really knew nothing different and considered it normal.

There was a Seattle cultural identity that one was born into. A culture that was formed by a life long exposure to a peculiar climate and geographical isolation. This shared isolation forged life long friendships and familiarity with fellow-native idiosyncrasies, creating a culturally unique community. Seattlites took great pride in being different. You are either a Seattlite or not. And yes, this same social paradigm exists for all of the Seattle suburbs like Bellevue, Redmond, Issaquah, Renton, Kent, ETC. Basically the entire Seattle region.

In 1979 Bill Gates and Paul Allen decided to move their merry little band of tech dorks from New Mexico to Seattle. Shortly thereafter began the introverted nerd invasion. The presence of so many invading nouveau-rich out-of-towners completely changed and ruined Seattle. Cost-of-living and congestion skyrocketed. Quality-of-life was plundered.

Every new person moving here makes the already horrific traffic worse and raises what has become an unreasonable cost of living. You moving here will only intensify the problem. And no, there is nothing special about "You" that makes you an exception to the rule. You can't move here and "become" a Seattlite, or "join the club" as many have tried. We used to loath the California invaders, but since the invasion began we have expanded our sentiments to include people from every corner of the globe - literally.

Before you are tempted to yell "xenophobia!", let it be known that Seattle natives are not frightened of other cultures. Seattle is, and always has been, a culturally diverse city. It is a matter of too many people being crammed into a small area, and the precipitous drop in quality of life as a result, that is the problem.

In a nutshell, Seattle natives HATE invaders. We don't want you here - anymore than we would want the neighbors dog to use our lawn as a toilet. We will not make friends with you. We already have our native friends."

Comments

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    HFNY said:

seattletimes.com/business/real-estate/a-teardown-a-day-bulldozing-the-way-for-bigger-homes-in-seattle-suburbs/

This was a post in the comments section. Wonder which HH poaster it was?

"The people here are passive-aggressively hostile and unfriendly. Many of them are not from here, and because of this have no real friends from Seattle.

It is cool, cloudy and drizzly 9-10 months of the year - that's non-stop - as in gray skys and NO sunshine. With no friends and you stuck inside for 10 months, you will become severely depressed just like the vast majority of the other invaders.

And then you have the hostility of the Seattle natives. The people who were born and raised here, and have called this their home for all of their life. We HATE the invaders. We give them the cold shoulder, ignore them and avoid them like the plague.

You see, it's very simple. Seattle used to be a great home - 25 plus years ago. Most of the people living here were native to Seattle. Seattle was a large city with a small town feel. High quality-of-life, low congestion and low cost-of-living. Yes the weather sucked, but we were used to it and really knew nothing different and considered it normal.

There was a Seattle cultural identity that one was born into. A culture that was formed by a life long exposure to a peculiar climate and geographical isolation. This shared isolation forged life long friendships and familiarity with fellow-native idiosyncrasies, creating a culturally unique community. Seattlites took great pride in being different. You are either a Seattlite or not. And yes, this same social paradigm exists for all of the Seattle suburbs like Bellevue, Redmond, Issaquah, Renton, Kent, ETC. Basically the entire Seattle region.

In 1979 Bill Gates and Paul Allen decided to move their merry little band of tech dorks from New Mexico to Seattle. Shortly thereafter began the introverted nerd invasion. The presence of so many invading nouveau-rich out-of-towners completely changed and ruined Seattle. Cost-of-living and congestion skyrocketed. Quality-of-life was plundered.

Every new person moving here makes the already horrific traffic worse and raises what has become an unreasonable cost of living. You moving here will only intensify the problem. And no, there is nothing special about "You" that makes you an exception to the rule. You can't move here and "become" a Seattlite, or "join the club" as many have tried. We used to loath the California invaders, but since the invasion began we have expanded our sentiments to include people from every corner of the globe - literally.

Before you are tempted to yell "xenophobia!", let it be known that Seattle natives are not frightened of other cultures. Seattle is, and always has been, a culturally diverse city. It is a matter of too many people being crammed into a small area, and the precipitous drop in quality of life as a result, that is the problem.

In a nutshell, Seattle natives HATE invaders. We don't want you here - anymore than we would want the neighbors dog to use our lawn as a toilet. We will not make friends with you. We already have our native friends."

Fuck off @Tequilla
  • Options
    unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    I miss Emmett Watson dammit! Are you guys familiar with KBO?

The KBO's raison d'être was to protest the irritating and prolonged immigration of newcomers into the Puget Sound region, especially to Seattle. They clogged the roads, spent too much money bidding up prices, did not understand the "NorthWest way of life" and just generally made trouble, ... hence the KBO's mission statement. Watson periodically suggested actions that KBO members could take to make "immigrants" (perhaps especially Californians) uncomfortable, and, hopefully, encourage them to leave. Readers and others occasionally observed that it was all a sort of joke, and Watson sometimes responded that people could think what they liked, but that he would continue to promote the KBO as one way to deal with the decrease in the quality of life in the Pacific Northwest and especially in Western Washington.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    That shit is so real.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,528
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    My cousin and husband moved here about 4 years ago. They now want to give Sound Transit $54 billion ($100.44 billion if their cost overrun hit 86% again) and are happy to vote for everyone else's taxes to go up.

I'd rather give ST $10 to $15 billion and see if their can lower their cost overruns before voting on the other $40 billion but maybe I'm too reasonable for Seattle now.
  • Options
    unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Boobs isn't familiar with the KBO. That's what you get for growing up in Oregon

The organization was mostly anti-California, but Oregon was a very close second, as that state had essentially been compromised by California agitators by the mid 60's

Most people think it was fictional, but there are still a few splinter cells around. Deep underground, they meet monthly in the bowels of Pike Place Market
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper

Seattle has always sucked

Hope this helps

You're from Olympia and you have no leg to stand on in this argument.
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Yeah sure. We don't want you here. But, leave your meteoric rise in real estate values, ok?
  • Options
    doogie said:

Yeah sure. We don't want you here. But, leave your meteoric rise in real estate values, ok?

Property values are a dumb way to value an economy.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,082
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Seattle was a great town to be in for college. Other than that is sucks. Oh, and half the reason it was good in college was we had good football in the 90's. Now I can't think of one redeeming quality of Seattle that isn't offset by something else that sucks worse.
  • Options
    Swaye said:

Seattle was a great town to be in for college. Other than that is sucks. Oh, and half the reason it was good in college was we had good football in the 90's. Now I can't think of one redeeming quality of Seattle that isn't offset by something else that sucks worse.

This is more or less how I feel. I still like it here as long as people leave me the fuck alone, or when I'm hiking or skiing 90 minutes from my front door. And I'll grant that there's some fun bars, and good restaurants, etc. But the majority of the assholes moving in here over the last 15 years have finally conspired to suck out any real sense of pride I used to have in the city (the burbs can fuck off).
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    There are a ton of reasons to complain about Seattle but the weather is not one of them.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,947
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

There are a ton of reasons to complain about Seattle but the weather is not one of them.

Disagree
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,947
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    My cousin and her husband both make pretty good money. He's a lawyer and she's an actuary. All they can get is this tiny house near Franklin HS. It's not a shithole or anything, but I doubt it's more than 1100 sq ft. It's not in the ghetto but it sure isn't in the nice part of Mt. Baker either. Typical non-Trump white people too...they're close to 40 and no kids...we need more non-white trash to have kids, damnit..

Anyway, that's Seattle for you unless you're in the top...three percent...

I'll see pictures of new buildings on social media and not recognize them..
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,221
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Seattle has always sucked

Hope this helps

You're from Olympia and you have no leg to stand on in this argument.
    31 years in Seattle