Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Next Don James

Comments

• Options
    loadsockloadsock Member Posts: 686
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment Testing 1
    I'd look into Bohl at NDSU. He just wins and not many teams in FCS are even giving him a match. They're defeating FBS teams and perhaps he could find some new recruiting grounds in the midwest.

Any thoughts on Doug Nussmeier or do you think we'd consider promoting Wilcox first?
  • Options
    loadsock said:

I'd look into Bohl at NDSU. He just wins and not many teams in FCS are even giving him a match. They're defeating FBS teams and perhaps he could find some new recruiting grounds in the midwest.

Any thoughts on Doug Nussmeier or do you think we'd consider promoting Wilcox first?

Fire a coach who was a first year coach for another first year head coach is as fucktarded as USC firing Kiffin then hiring Sark.

I'd love to hire Bohl. I wish we had a real AD who would have fired Sark after last years apple cup and hired Anderson from Utah State. A move most of us wanted on the old Dawgboard(*gurgle*).

Doogs think it has to be Mora and that is all. Although I'd love to have Mora we are open to other coaches. We just want a coach who can bring Husky football back to where it should be which is competing for Rose Bowls every year.

Look to me a typical Husky decade should go as follows:

3 years- Rose Bowls
    4 years- Competing for a Rose Bowl
    3 years- Transition years which is what we are doing now.

That was your Husky decade in the 1980's, 1990's and Neuheisel had he been here 10 years might have accomplished that.

The problem with Sark is every year falls into the "transition" year category that's his fucking ceiling.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    "Any thoughts on Doug Nussmeier or do you think we'd consider promoting Wilcox first? "

CHRIST

Some people never learn.

• Options
    ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2013
    Too RISKY! Haven't you heard of Marinerization? The whole idea is to get a coach who will definitely be stable enough to have a winning record, but no need to take chances on an obscure coach who shows promise! Get somebody from a big time school with the proper pedigree. I say that with my upper crust British accent. What do you think a fancy stadium with a lot of silly crap on the jumbotron is good for? It's to keep the money paying sheep in the stands occupied.
  • Options
    loadsockloadsock Member Posts: 686
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment Testing 1
    edited October 2013
    Gladstone said:

"Any thoughts on Doug Nussmeier or do you think we'd consider promoting Wilcox first? "

CHRIST

Some people never learn.

Well who in the fuck do you have in mind?

Critique all you like but what's so bad about those 2 or is the lack of HC experience a la Sark the one and only reason? I understand that completely but I fail to see who is out there, ISN'T green, and would be willing to come here.

If we're talking big time coaches who are already elsewhere, who could we snag?

• Options
    DoogieMcDoogersonDoogieMcDoogerson Member Posts: 2,482
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    If Mora is the fucking guy then why does his NFL record suck? Why did pete come in and turn his shit around? You telling me it's a no brainer? That he doesn't need good assistants like Sark has? That he'll fucking make his assistants and turn Kent Baer into a top DC? He's not Jesus, man. You gotta have good assistants. If you don't know that, you're an idiot.

Maybe I'm the one getting whooshed. This man-crush on Mora is a fucking joke.

Don't let the facts get in the way: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_L._Mora

• Options
    DoogieMcDoogersonDoogieMcDoogerson Member Posts: 2,482
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I agree -- he's probably not the guy, but for every Pete Carroll there is a Charlie Weis with his "decided schematic advantage". You guys act like this is fucking simple. It's not. Everyone wants a top 5 team. Few have the "resources" we do, but it's not like you fucking hire a guy and watch the wins rack up. Mora may struggle up here just as much as sark. WE DON'T KNOW...
  • Options

I agree -- he's probably not the guy, but for every Pete Carroll there is a Charlie Weis with his "decided schematic advantage". You guys act like this is fucking simple. It's not. Everyone wants a top 5 team. Few have the "resources" we do, but it's not like you fucking hire a guy and watch the wins rack up. Mora may struggle up here just as much as sark. WE DON'T KNOW...

Charlie Weis fits more into the Steve Sarkisian category. You know "great play caller", "great recruiter" but had no head coaching experience before a big school hired him........

I've always said Sark is like Weis. One has man boobs and the other is Weis.
  • Options

Guess what? Unlike you Doogs we'll be on Mora's ass too. You guys think we'd give Mora a free pass but that's not the case.

If Mora was 27-27 vs D-1 teams and 20-19 in conference in year five we'd want his fucking ass out too.

We have nothing personal against Sark, we just want fucking wins! Win or get the fuck out!
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,930
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Mark Dantonio (38-12 at Michigan State... Yeah the Big Ten kind of sucks but they are not a traditional power).

Obligatory Mora

Baylor's h.c.? I don't even know his name but if you can turn them into a top 20 program, you're doing something right.

I think Wilcox would do okay & 3-5 star linemen would be more likely to choose the Huskies

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    loadsock said:

Good call on Bohl. He's doing very well at NDSU.

• Options
    ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    mora is a bad idea, for one reason he's got a job and he's not budging. Secondly, it's just the old hire-the-alum trick. It only works once in a blue moon.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

I agree it's not simple. That's why you have to be willing to fire coaches every few years until you find the right coach.

Mora has already proven he's better than Sark, by the way.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295

Legitimate Question, folks.

Who is a proven winner that you would go after. Look through the top 20. Give me names.

Look -- I'm as disappointed as everyone else that we just can't seem to fucking beat oregon or take the next step. I'm at a loss for who I'd hire that fits your proven winner.

Seems like you have to take a flier on a guy and wait it out for a few years and then go for the next guy if he doesn't work out.

Lots of guys have flopped or failed to pan out. This is not an easy thing to identify. Who are the no brainers that would work out better than Sark? Guys you're SURE would work out...

That's a very legitimate question.

Looking at the top 25, I see three possibilities that UW has already missed out on (Mora, Pinkel, Andersen at Wisconsin) and one guy who fits the profile (DeRuyter).

Of equal relevance, I don't see that many guys in the top 25 who were guaranteed hits when they were hired. There's Saban, Meyer, Miles, and Spurrier.

You almost certainly have to roll the dice to get the right guy. You just have to be willing to admit you crapped out when the guy you hired clearly isn't the right guy. Keeping the wrong guy too long lets the program rot from within, which was the REAL lesson from 0-12 that very few people actually learned.
    And they should have learned it in 2004...that was essentially the first 0-12.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    Doogie, Mora's recruiting is terrific. If he was hired here in 2008, we might be a NC contender this season. He would get guys like Miles Jack, Budda Baker, Josh Garnett, Zach Banner and get some guys from Cali.

Sark is worthless outside of QBs and WRs. Statistically, 90% of the improvement in the program can be attributed to the defense which Sark has nothing to with.

Mark Emmert should be lynched in red square for his spineless act of fageotry in 2008.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Doogie, Mora's recruiting is terrific. If he was hired here in 2008, we might be a NC contender this season. He would get guys like Miles Jack, Budda Baker, Josh Garnett, Zach Banner and get some guys from Cali.

Sark is worthless outside of QBs and WRs. Statistically, 90% of the improvement in the program can be attributed to the defense which Sark has nothing to with.

Mark Emmert should be lynched in red square for his spineless act of fageotry in 2004.

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

First of all, you're wrong. There isn't a Charlie Weis for every Carroll. There's one Weis. And then there's Carroll, Saban, Spurrier and Petrino who all failed in the NFL and rocked in college. And Mora's NFL performance stacks up very well against those guys with the notable exception of Carroll's latest NFL stint.

Secondly, Weis was an NFL assistant, not an NFL HC. He was a head coach for the first time at ND. Mora is in no possible way analogous to Weis.

Being a failed NFL HC doesn't guarantee you'll be a success in college but it's a point in your favor, not a point against you like some doogiemcdoogerson's like to think.

I've had the Mora argument so many times it's hard to muster the energy to do it again, but Jake Almighty man. First doogs claimed he couldn't recruit in college, now his recruiting kicks ass so we don't know if he could recruit to Seattle? Come on man. He's a passionate, high energy, charismatic guy who obviously connects well with young people. He has NFL HC experience. He seems to have a great eye for talent. And, btw, he's an alum of the school in question. If you "don't know" if Mora can recruit to UW then you don't know if Nick Saban could recruit to UW.

Recruiting isn't hard to figure out. Some guys have it. Mora is one of them. He'd kill it in recruiting at UW.

My old 2008 hire Mora argument went something like this:

1) Defensive minded coach - which is a great fit for two reasons: first, the traditional UW fanbase has a real affinity for defense, second, the conference is almost entirely offensive minded HC's and Mora could quickly establish UW as the destination school for West Coast defenders.

2) Recruiting. Pretty much covered this above - the 08 argument covered why I thought he'd be a great recruiter. It has completely proven true. And it will prove true at UW as well, if we ever hire him.

3) NFL experience - Mostly covered. This helps him as a recruiter of high school talent as well as coaching talent. It also gives him access to some of the greatest minds in coaching for advice, brainstorming, etc.

4) Some other reason I can't remember anymore. Who cares at this point. What he's doing at UCLA is argument enough.

Mora in 2014!

I'm with APAG, I hope this is a giant whoosh. Otherwise, time to run Section14a.