Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Next Don James

from smaller, obscure schools...discuss

Here's a go-getter I like, from Maine (same age as Chip).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Wilder

Too risky?

Comments

• Options
    Good catch. I doubt Pool Boy can land a big name but I would like to see him hire a proven winner though.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Never heard of him, but he looks like an intriguing guy who will eventually coach a BCS team. It's pretty impressive he has built Old Dominion into a championship contender so quickly.
  • Options
    unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Check out a few of his pressers on Youtube...a little Harbaughesque

$450K/year right now

I'm sure there are many others, but this guy stands out for some reason
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Playoff record is a little worrisome but definitely someone worth a look.
  • Options
    DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    I don't need another Don James. There are many ways to win. Just hirer a winner.
  • Options
    I like that he's actually had to build a program from scratch. However I see he's an offensive coach so I'd pass.

I still like the Fresno State coach, he had good success at lower tier schools as a DC and now is winning as a head coach.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,104
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Old Dominion's schedule is on par with a Big East team...

Sat, Nov 09 Idaho at Moscow, Idaho 5:00 p.m.

That should be a telling game for their program. This guy seems like someone to watch although he isn't my second choice.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

from smaller, obscure schools...discuss

Here's a go-getter I like, from Maine (same age as Chip).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Wilder

Too risky?

That guy doesn't know how to build from nothing the right way. He needs a few 7-6 records to prove he can build from nothing the right way.
  • Options
    DoogieMcDoogersonDoogieMcDoogerson Member Posts: 2,482
    Legitimate Question, folks.

Who is a proven winner that you would go after. Look through the top 20. Give me names.

Look -- I'm as disappointed as everyone else that we just can't seem to fucking beat oregon or take the next step. I'm at a loss for who I'd hire that fits your proven winner.

Seems like you have to take a flier on a guy and wait it out for a few years and then go for the next guy if he doesn't work out.

Lots of guys have flopped or failed to pan out. This is not an easy thing to identify. Who are the no brainers that would work out better than Sark? Guys you're SURE would work out...
  • Options

Legitimate Question, folks.

Who is a proven winner that you would go after. Look through the top 20. Give me names.

Look -- I'm as disappointed as everyone else that we just can't seem to fucking beat oregon or take the next step. I'm at a loss for who I'd hire that fits your proven winner.

Seems like you have to take a flier on a guy and wait it out for a few years and then go for the next guy if he doesn't work out.

Lots of guys have flopped or failed to pan out. This is not an easy thing to identify. Who are the no brainers that would work out better than Sark? Guys you're SURE would work out...

That's a very legitimate question.

Looking at the top 25, I see three possibilities that UW has already missed out on (Mora, Pinkel, Andersen at Wisconsin) and one guy who fits the profile (DeRuyter).

Of equal relevance, I don't see that many guys in the top 25 who were guaranteed hits when they were hired. There's Saban, Meyer, Miles, and Spurrier.

You almost certainly have to roll the dice to get the right guy. You just have to be willing to admit you crapped out when the guy you hired clearly isn't the right guy. Keeping the wrong guy too long lets the program rot from within, which was the REAL lesson from 0-12 that very few people actually learned.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    I see your Bobby Wilder and raise you Chuck Martin. Have a glance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Martin_(American_football)

Both Wilder and Martin have Tressel/Brian Kelly-esque backgrounds.
  • Options
    Let's take a look at Mora in 2 weeks.
  • Options

Let's take a look at Mora in 2 weeks.

If he loses the next two games, he's still be 14-7 (8-5 conference) with no FCS patsies and in control of his own destiny to win the Pac-12.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,104
    Gladstone said:

I see your Bobby Wilder and raise you Chuck Martin. Have a glance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Martin_(American_football)

Both Wilder and Martin have Tressel/Brian Kelly-esque backgrounds.

Not bad. He did inherit a two time national champ from Brian Kelly but he has a pretty good background. Worth an interview.
  • Options
    Yes, but he will have lost to Stanford and Oregon just like Sark. The uncertainty for Mora for me is 1) can he recruit when he's based in Seattle and 2) How long will he stay for his "dream" job. That's not to say Sark is doing #1 well, but I think it's a stretch to say Mora would without question, be doing better as a recruiter. Recruiting is the job of the head guy but again, you can't argue with who Sark now has as assistants from a recruiting standpoint. Would Mora have a strong a staff of assistants? Again -- it's a crap shoot.

7-6, definitely go another direction.
    8-5, you see what's on the market and possibly make a decision
    9-4 or better and you stay the course.

With all that said, no matter who we get ( because the top coaches aren't reasonable targets ), we're starting over -- new coaches, new system, etc and there is considerable risk.
  • Options
    9-4 this year is terrible.
  • Options
    RavennaDawgRavennaDawg Member Posts: 846
    Name Dropper Photogenic 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    I like Charlie Strong. He could win multiple BCS titles and still be the number 2 coach on campus, so I think he will go for the right price.

I also like Craig Bohl at NDSU. Consecutive FCS titles, including victories over FBS teams.

I have liked Gary Anderson since his defense handed Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. USU is one of the hardest places to win at in the country, and he did it, finding/developing players like Bobby Wagner and Robert Turbin in the process. He is only in his first year at Wisconsin, and stranger things have happened than a coach leaving a school after one year (like the greatest coach to ever walk the UW sideline).
  • Options

Yes, but he will have lost to Stanford and Oregon just like Sark. The uncertainty for Mora for me is 1) can he recruit when he's based in Seattle and 2) How long will he stay for his "dream" job. That's not to say Sark is doing #1 well, but I think it's a stretch to say Mora would without question, be doing better as a recruiter. Recruiting is the job of the head guy but again, you can't argue with who Sark now has as assistants from a recruiting standpoint. Would Mora have a strong a staff of assistants? Again -- it's a crap shoot.

7-6, definitely go another direction.
    8-5, you see what's on the market and possibly make a decision
    9-4 or better and you stay the course.

With all that said, no matter who we get ( because the top coaches aren't reasonable targets ), we're starting over -- new coaches, new system, etc and there is considerable risk.

There is more risk bringing Sark back. With a new coach you are starting over but you have the chance at maybe he's the right guy.

With Sark we know this program will never sniff a Rose Bowl or a BCS game. He can fool the fucktards with the easy OOC scheduling but he's not fooling me.

To me the Lambo years were just as bad if not worst than the Ty years. Watching Rose Bowl talent being wasted every year was awful. That is what Sark is about to do this year and next year. Then in 2015 Sark will have his Lambo 1998 year.

Mora I think appeals to everyone. He is a good enough talker, good enough salesman to sell the skill guys. He's also a tough minded, blue collar coach who is a good family man to sell to the gritty tough players.

If I'm a tough player like a OL, DL or a LB and Sark wants me to play for him or Mora wants me to play for him I'm choosing Mora. I know Mora will get the best out of me while Sark with his soft program won't get me to reach my potential.