Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

UW Hoops

Comments

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited February 2016

I gave up on Romar getting fired years ago. It will never happen when he has two more big recruits coming in next year. I'm excited for Murray and Chriss to go pro after the NIT. I look forward to next year's NIT with Fultz and Timmins before they go pro.

I agree, but what good are big time recruits when you have a checked out coach? When Oregon fired Ernie, they had nothing in the coffers, but Altman utilized the senior transfer program and put on a competitive team with almost zero talent.

Basically, a good coaching hire with limited talent puts you in the same spot as you are now with great talent and a useless coach. At least in the first scenario, you can improve.
    I wish we would have fired Romar years ago.
    I wasn't replying to you directly. I was more or less making a point that the AD should be more worried about coaching than a single influx. Meaning, that it would suck to lose some big recruits in a class, but long term, the program would be miles ahead with a good coach.

It's pretty ridiculous how they can't see the big picture. But why should I talk, our football program STILL hasn't finished reading the book on Helfrich yet.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

It's downright embarrassing in the age of coaches being on the hot seat for sucking for a couple years that UW isn't willing to can a coach who can't make a 68 team fucking tourney for the 5th straight year. Not to mention the fact that he has run his own program into the ground and still has the same moronic faults that everyone who has an ounce of basketball knowledge could see even when they were winning. What more does anyone need to see?

I don't care what anyone says. If romar was white he would have been fired 2 years ago. But everyone is scared shitless that somehow firing romar will drive all recruits away. I'm not sure if anyone noticed but almost everyone romar recruited the last few years left the team while he was still here. If the season nose dive continues I will be very concerned that a few more players will go to the nba or transfer regardless of whether romar is retained. Romar has been the central point of a whole lot of teams which cancerous cores. I thought this team was different but having a lot of losses can change things in a hurry.

The players that are here are not all going to just pull up roots and leave if romar is fired. The people who scare you with that shit just don't follow how transfers work. They aren't going to go somewhere to redshirt when they look around at the talent. It's also saying that we? can't bring in anyone who would actually convince them to stay. Anyone who would leave was probably leaving if romar stays anyhow based on PT or just wanting to get out of the shitshow. We all saw it last year with the mass exodus of players.

I don't disagree.

But firing Romar now all but guarantees we not only lose Fultz, but Murray and Chriss both go pro for sure.

Maybe they go pro anyways, I don't know.

At this point, encouraging Romar to retire seems like the more realistic route to change.
    I totally agree with the retire angle, but he doesn't want to retire. If we hired a strong AD who could tell him he's either retiring from UW or getting canned then it would be something, but I obviously have zero confidence in that.

Making decisions on whether or not players go pro, transfer, or not attend(ie fultz) is spadoFS. Romar has had talent here and done jack shit with it. He had 3 first round players and couldn't make the tourney. Why is anyone scared of possible turmoil that may never arise?

We could all play this game and say, what if UW hires Archie Miller? If he comes in and talks to fultz and convinces murray and others to stay now all of a sudden not only did you keep these guys you have a much better coach and a chance to build a stud recruiting class off of a huge upcoming season. Conversely we? sit around with romar and know exactly how the season plays out even with the talent and prolong the inevitable.

What's the worst that happens if romar is canned? we? miss the ncaa's b/c players/recruits leave? Weird, that sounds awful familiar to the last 5 years.......
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Hasn't Fultz already signed his LOI?
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Yes, but there has been times when a player is released if the coach is let go and allowed to leave.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

Yes, but there has been times when a player is released if the coach is let go and allowed to leave.
    And why should I care about that?

Why should 17-18 year old kids dictate what grown ups be doing?
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

I'm not saying UW should let him out. I could care less. One player who will be here one year isn't going to change the direction of a program. The coach will. So whether fultz comes or not isn't going to matter in the grand scheme of fixing husky hoops
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Then why bring up the LOI?

If Romar goes Fultz will get out of his LOI. If you think Romar should go regardless I agree, but Fultz's LOI means nothing.
  • Options
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

If Romar goes Fultz will get out of his LOI. If you think Romar should go regardless I agree, but Fultz's LOI means nothing.
    Purely for those saying that Fultz is guaranteed to leave if Romar leaves.

He may ... but he's also already signed his LOI. We don't have to let him out of it. We can be nice and do so ... but we hold the leverage on it ... not Fultz.

And as has been stated ad nauseam, the right coach matters 1000x more anyway.

Go look around the country at the number of "basketball schools" ... the thing you'll notice with them all is that it is tied to the quality of the coach.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    NIT hopes are still alive you negas. Already have my tickets!
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

He may ... but he's also already signed his LOI. We don't have to let him out of it. We can be nice and do so ... but we hold the leverage on it ... not Fultz.

Go look around the country at the number of "basketball schools" ... the thing you'll notice with them all is that it is tied to the quality of the coach.
    Nobody holds kids to their LOIs when a coach is canned. If Romar is gone, Fultz will be too.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Nobody holds kids to their LOIs when a coach is canned. If Romar is gone, Fultz will be too.
    I don't agree he's gone at all. I think they would let him out of his LOI, but that given the right hire Fultz would still come to UW for what the team has coming back. If UW hired a good coach, and held onto one of chriss/murray and possibly both, you're telling me that fultz is just going to run away from that based on romar. I don't buy it.

Still think the guy wants to be a husky and would show up unless they hired someone like camron dollar.

And I also think that whomever is hired at uw would be insane to get rid of Will. Conroy should be kept on regardless of who is hired.
  • Options

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

I don't agree he's gone at all. I think they would let him out of his LOI, but that given the right hire Fultz would still come to UW for what the team has coming back. If UW hired a good coach, and held onto one of chriss/murray and possibly both, you're telling me that fultz is just going to run away from that based on romar. I don't buy it.

Still think the guy wants to be a husky and would show up unless they hired someone like camron dollar.

And I also think that whomever is hired at uw would be insane to get rid of Will. Conroy should be kept on regardless of who is hired.
    He didn't pick UW for Murray/Chriss, he picked UW for Romar. An absolute home run hire might get him to stay, but we all know we're not making one of those for hoops.
  • Options
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

He didn't pick UW for Murray/Chriss, he picked UW for Romar. An absolute home run hire might get him to stay, but we all know we're not making one of those for hoops.
    one can dream........
  • Options
    I know this is fishing @Tequilla but gregg marshall is going to have to take a serious look around after this year. Both his studs leave and if someone like UW could write a nice sized check he'd have enough clout recently to hold onto a guy like fultz possibly.

Obviously i'm an archie miller fan but i don't know how he goes midwest to pac12 other than the brotherly link.

• Options
    Speaking of Archie miller. UNLV is trying to make a bid for him but it looks like he is holding out for a power 5 conference. One other guy that may be looking for a job that I'd hire in a second. Pitino.

reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv-rebels/basketball/daytons-archie-miller-might-be-too-elusive-unlv-coaching-job
  • Options

I know this is fishing @Tequilla but gregg marshall is going to have to take a serious look around after this year. Both his studs leave and if someone like UW could write a nice sized check he'd have enough clout recently to hold onto a guy like fultz possibly.

Obviously i'm an archie miller fan but i don't know how he goes midwest to pac12 other than the brotherly link.

Marshall is going to go to a much better program than UW
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

It's downright embarrassing in the age of coaches being on the hot seat for sucking for a couple years that UW isn't willing to can a coach who can't make a 68 team fucking tourney for the 5th straight year. Not to mention the fact that he has run his own program into the ground and still has the same moronic faults that everyone who has an ounce of basketball knowledge could see even when they were winning. What more does anyone need to see?

I don't care what anyone says. If romar was white he would have been fired 2 years ago. But everyone is scared shitless that somehow firing romar will drive all recruits away. I'm not sure if anyone noticed but almost everyone romar recruited the last few years left the team while he was still here. If the season nose dive continues I will be very concerned that a few more players will go to the nba or transfer regardless of whether romar is retained. Romar has been the central point of a whole lot of teams which cancerous cores. I thought this team was different but having a lot of losses can change things in a hurry.

The players that are here are not all going to just pull up roots and leave if romar is fired. The people who scare you with that shit just don't follow how transfers work. They aren't going to go somewhere to redshirt when they look around at the talent. It's also saying that we? can't bring in anyone who would actually convince them to stay. Anyone who would leave was probably leaving if romar stays anyhow based on PT or just wanting to get out of the shitshow. We all saw it last year with the mass exodus of players.

I don't disagree.

But firing Romar now all but guarantees we not only lose Fultz, but Murray and Chriss both go pro for sure.

Maybe they go pro anyways, I don't know.

At this point, encouraging Romar to retire seems like the more realistic route to change.
    I totally agree with the retire angle, but he doesn't want to retire. If we hired a strong AD who could tell him he's either retiring from UW or getting canned then it would be something, but I obviously have zero confidence in that.

Making decisions on whether or not players go pro, transfer, or not attend(ie fultz) is spadoFS. Romar has had talent here and done jack shit with it. He had 3 first round players and couldn't make the tourney. Why is anyone scared of possible turmoil that may never arise?

We could all play this game and say, what if UW hires Archie Miller? If he comes in and talks to fultz and convinces murray and others to stay now all of a sudden not only did you keep these guys you have a much better coach and a chance to build a stud recruiting class off of a huge upcoming season. Conversely we? sit around with romar and know exactly how the season plays out even with the talent and prolong the inevitable.

What's the worst that happens if romar is canned? we? miss the ncaa's b/c players/recruits leave? Weird, that sounds awful familiar to the last 5 years.......
    100% agree.

Wasn't saying that as a reason to keep him, just pointing out that firing him will have an immediate impact on the roster.

The one exception I could see is if UW actually goes out and hires a big name like Marshall or Miller to convince guys to stay.

But odds are, they go for some discount FREE PUB!!1! hire. Until proven otherwise, I assume Jen Cohen is functionally retarded.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Doogles said:

TSIO officially if we lose to Stanford/WSU/OSU.

Win those 3 games and you might survive a loss to Oregon as long as you go deep in the P12 tourney.

You're probably right, TSIO.

*-We
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Why does Greg Marshall need "to take a look around"? If He was interested in upward mobility, He would have been gone 3 Seasons ago.
  • Options
    TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

So we keep Romar because a 17yo kids likes him?