Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

wilcocks to whisky

2»

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,381
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,522
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    My point is that there are plenty of other programs that are just as dependent (if not more) on a great coach as USC. Especially when you take into account the kind of success that USC demands. Maybe you can argue that their boosters have gone a bit soft, but not on the coaching thing.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm right. I win
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'm right. I win

Puppy?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The debate is over its settled science
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Might as well not even play the debate game.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

HuskyJW said:

dnc said:

Good gig for him. Not much spread in Integer cuntry. He might be able to parlay this into one more good DC gig before the world realizes he's a fraud.

I don't know if he's a fraud.

Not a very good DC though.
    Look at the list of jobs he's had. DC at Tennessee, Washington, USC and now Wisconsin. That's three programs anyone would be proud to have one their resume and one that we miss, dammit.

I don't think his performance has merited another opportunity at a program of Wisky's caliber.
    Disagree. Here are his defense's FEI Ratings over the years (unfortunately these only go back to 2007, but we get most of his DC career, which started in '06):

2007 Boise St: 61st
    2008 Boise St: 12th
    2009 Boise St: 11th
    2010 Tennessee: 57th
    2011 Tennessee: 32nd
    2012 Washington: 37th
    2013 Washington: 24th

It's worth noting that Tennessee was 18th and 23rd in 2008 and 2009 with Monte Kiffin at the helm, so Wilcox did not improve that unit. But I wouldn't say he necessarily came in and had a negative impact either, as Kiffin was a legendary DC, and they lost Eric Berry and Dan Williams in the first round of the 2010 NFL Draft before Wilcox took over. A dropoff was probably pretty predictable given those circumstances.

Of course, what's most impressive is the job he did at UW. We were 72nd and 103rd in the two years prior to Wilcox coming in, and he immediately turned our defense into one of the best in the conference. Kwiatkowski has since come in and taken our defense to another level, but I don't think that diminishes the fact that Wilcox was ultimately a success in his short two years here. USC is his only true dud of a stint, and he has absolutely earned another chance with a major program.
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

dnc said:

HuskyJW said:

dnc said:

Good gig for him. Not much spread in Integer cuntry. He might be able to parlay this into one more good DC gig before the world realizes he's a fraud.

Look at the list of jobs he's had. DC at Tennessee, Washington, USC and now Wisconsin. That's three programs anyone would be proud to have one their resume and one that we miss, dammit.

I don't think his performance has merited another opportunity at a program of Wisky's caliber.
    Disagree. Here are his defense's FEI Ratings over the years (unfortunately these only go back to 2007, but we get most of his DC career, which started in '06):

It's worth noting that Tennessee was 18th and 23rd in 2008 and 2009 with Monte Kiffin at the helm, so Wilcox did not improve that unit. But I wouldn't say he necessarily came in and had a negative impact either, as Kiffin was a legendary DC, and they lost Eric Berry and Dan Williams in the first round of the 2010 NFL Draft before Wilcox took over. A dropoff was probably pretty predictable given those circumstances.

Of course, what's most impressive is the job he did at UW. We were 72nd and 103rd in the two years prior to Wilcox coming in, and he immediately turned our defense into one of the best in the conference. Kwiatkowski has since come in and taken our defense to another level, but I don't think that diminishes the fact that Wilcox was ultimately a success in his short two years here. USC is his only true dud of a stint, and he has absolutely earned another chance with a major program.
    No.

• Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,444
    Wilcox was better than Holt at coaching defense (Sark is better than Ty POTD) but Holt was the better recruiter.

Look at the commits Holt brought into UW (Trufant, Jamora/Kikaha, Shelton, Peters, Sean Parker, Andrew Hudson, James Sample, etc.) versus Wilcox (King, Victor, Bierria, Mathis). Not saying that Wilcox's kids are bad, but he wasn't recruiting them at the same level as Holt.
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

@GreenRiverGatorz

Wilcocks was great against bad teams, the curse of Husky Football. The genesis of what are you going to say when Arizona hangs 50 on him came from this. iDawg was all excited because our tough D was killing it when I asked him that question.

Spoiler alert - Arizona hung 50 on him

The guy we got now is a good defensive coach heading to greatness. It is actually a difference. Everyone has noticed it

Amen.

He shit his socks in every big game at Washington.
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment

It just shows you how crazy college coaching is. Wilcox was fired, but upgraded his job. He gets to scheme against Big 10 teams. Not one team in the Big 10 had a great offense. Even Ohio State struggled. Wisconsin is almost one on those places that coaches itself.

I get what you're saying, but Wisconsin is not an upgrade from USC.
    This isn't your (2) dad's USC. No program in America is more dependent on a great coach. Shitty stadium, shitty facilities, shitty hood.

Wisconsin is a player every year now for B1G honors. Been to the Rose Bowl more recently. Didn't they just beat USC in a bowl? Better league too.
    Your can't be serious.

In the P12, WSU is clearly the most dependent on great coaching. Same is true for OSU, Cal, Utah, Colorado, AZ, ASU, and even UW.

Yes, the Coliseum is a shit hole, but it has history. And yes, the hood around USC is bad. Their facilities, though, are certainly up to par. And their proximity to HS recruits is second to none.

And to suggest the B1G is a better conference...this year, probably. What about last year? For a poster who thrives on living in the past, why ignore it now?
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Wilcox was better than Holt at coaching defense (Sark is better than Ty POTD) but Holt was the better recruiter.

Look at the commits Holt brought into UW (Trufant, Jamora/Kikaha, Shelton, Peters, Sean Parker, Andrew Hudson, James Sample, etc.) versus Wilcox (King, Victor, Bierria, Mathis). Not saying that Wilcox's kids are bad, but he wasn't recruiting them at the same level as Holt.

Except for the fact neither of them did much recruiting. None of the "Holt" recruits were very good until he left. Trufant was a slightly above average CB until his senior year.
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,235
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

Except for the fact neither of them did much recruiting. None of the "Holt" recruits were very good until he left. Trufant was a slightly above average CB until his senior year.
    IMO, the Huskies have been recruiting pretty well on defense for some time now, but the coaching really took off when Kawasaki took over. A lot of players suddenly got better in year one, and it carried over to year two, that's a testament to Kawasaki's coaching, and a reflection of the lack of something under Wilcox.
  • Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

HuskyJW said:

dnc said:

Wilcox was a big improvement over Holt just like how Sark was a big improvement over Ty.
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    Hard to accurately judge Wilcox at UW with Sarks ball control offense, tbh