Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

maybe we an stop treating education as a business?

2»

Comments

• Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper

This thread is FS.

You should all pay me a consultation fee and then I'd tell you how it is.

I'd love to "pick your brain" on this boo. Consulting without compensation, yes please.
  • Options

How is college not required in THIS economy? @RoadDawg55 @allpurpleallgold?

Sure, you can make a living if you have hard skills in a field like construction or other technical area. But that's not most people, and it's going to be even more pronounced in the future. How is sending people to school to learn how to write and read difficult material in any way a bad thing?

It's a bad thing when you're putting nearly everyone that does it in debt. And really the actuall payoff isn't any sort of education, it's that people will hire you.

What's happened is actually really interesting. Everyone decided that you "have to" go to college. But if everyone does something that thing becomes less valuable. I would argue that college is actually less valuable than ever before except when it comes to getting hired. Which makes it valuable but not in the way it was intended to be.

At this point you have to go to college so you can get the job that will allow you to pay off the debt you earned from going to college. That's actually insane.
    Yet your lifetime earnings will still probably be higher than someone who doesn't go to college. It's a bad system, but I'm still not seeing how it's bad individually to go to college, despite the group statistic saying that it maybe doesn't doesn't matter.
  • Options
    That's why people should be getting liberal arts degrees.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

How is college not required in THIS economy? @RoadDawg55 @allpurpleallgold?

Sure, you can make a living if you have hard skills in a field like construction or other technical area. But that's not most people, and it's going to be even more pronounced in the future. How is sending people to school to learn how to write and read difficult material in any way a bad thing?

It's a bad thing when you're putting nearly everyone that does it in debt. And really the actuall payoff isn't any sort of education, it's that people will hire you.

What's happened is actually really interesting. Everyone decided that you "have to" go to college. But if everyone does something that thing becomes less valuable. I would argue that college is actually less valuable than ever before except when it comes to getting hired. Which makes it valuable but not in the way it was intended to be.

At this point you have to go to college so you can get the job that will allow you to pay off the debt you earned from going to college. That's actually insane.
    Yet your lifetime earnings will still probably be higher than someone who doesn't go to college. It's a bad system, but I'm still not seeing how it's bad individually to go to college, despite the group statistic saying that it maybe doesn't doesn't matter.
    What you're saying is that college is better than Ty.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,632
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

This thread is FS.

Maybe we can stop treating law as a bidness?
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

This thread is FS.

I'd love to "pick your brain" on this boo. Consulting without compensation, yes please.
    I said pay me a fee, THEN I'd consult. You need to learn to reed more good. Try a liberal arts college. I here there good at that stuff.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    PurpleJ said:

This thread is FS.

Maybe we can stop treating law as a bidness?
    maybe we can recroot dtd to bend you over and plow you try my fren.
  • Options

This thread is FS.

I said pay me a fee, THEN I'd consult. You need to learn to reed more good. Try a liberal arts college. I here there good at that stuff.
    Whoosh.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,075
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    This is making me wonder if the 60K I paid for a degree from that school in Guam was legit or not?
  • Options
    The left loves to bitch about CEO pay as if that is the reason others don't make a good living. I never hear a bitch about lowering the cost of running a university and passing those savings along. Why is that? Making college more affordable always focused on the consumer having accesses to some kind of government subsidy. Never on the cost of the supply. UW has an annual payroll of 2.4 billion. Outside of athletics, the highest paid state employee is a UW professor making over $600k in salary. Of course the argument is that these people are worth it because they bring funding and dollars to the school. And someone else would steal them away. Well no shit. That's why CEOs get paid too. So which is it? CEOs bad, college profs good? Let's ask the liberals if they think Professor salaries should be capped just like they think CEOs salaries should be.
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    Bill Moyes (and those quoting him...) are FS. Its not run as a business.

Let the borrowing rate for college students float with the degree and market and then see what happens...right now the govt says borrow money, and college says we'll take that and a little more. People scream, and so they govt says borrow a little more, and the university says we'll take that and then some.

Its not effin rocket science. Why the hell can someone borrow $60+K for a liberal arts degree? No private business would loan them that money.