Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    OZONEOZONE Member Posts: 2,510
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I have sympathy for students that went to legitimate schools and have a lot of debt to pay off -- but I'm sure they will make it. It is all about living within your means.

But I don't have sympathy for people that made the mistake of thinking that the University of Phoenix was a real college, and racked up a bunch of debt and got a worthless "degree".
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    I have empathy for their predicament, considering that they're probably just the kind of people that both need more education (foremost to know that for-profit college is a scam) and can't afford regular college. They're not the ones who set up the student loan/tuition racket.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It's fucking insane people haven't caught on to what a racket the education system has become.

Baby boomers convinced millenials that you need to go to college. At one point, when only the middle and upper class went to college that was true. The world changed though.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Students know. They pile on the debt anyway.
  • Options

I have empathy for their predicament, considering that they're probably just the kind of people that both need more education (foremost to know that for-profit college is a scam) and can't afford regular college. They're not the ones who set up the student loan/tuition racket.

Not-for-profit for the most part is a scam, too. Why do you hate financed French Literature degrees?
  • Options
    Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,888
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    edited November 2015
    If colleges actually operated like a business and had to compete for our hard earned dollars through innovation and lower prices instead of being mostly dictated by government rules and having to increase prices to offset the artificially high demand caused by subsidies, then we wouldn't have this problem.

It's like we decided that more people need to go to college, and now we are outraged that it's costing money to do that. Something something eating cake.

And honestly we probably need less people going to college anyway. 20 years ago the people who started their careers in the same position as me didn't have a degree because it wasnt difficult to train them. Now everyone does because that's become the standard. So if you want the job you gotta get a degree or you can't compete with the other applicants. So basically colleges are raking in extra revenue but nobody is really producing more in the workforce for it. That's not a good thing at all. It's a major fucking waste.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

If colleges actually operated like a business and had to compete for our hard earned dollars through innovation and lower prices instead of being mostly dictated by government rules and having to increase prices to offset the artificially high demand caused by subsidies, then we wouldn't have this problem.

It's like we decided that more people need to go to college, and now we are outraged that it's costing money to do that. Something something eating cake.

And honestly we probably need less people going to college anyway. 20 years ago the people who started their careers in the same position as me didn't have a degree because it wasnt difficult to train them. Now everyone does because that's become the standard. So if you want the job you gotta get a degree or you can't compete with the other applicants. So basically colleges are raking in extra revenue but nobody is really producing more in the workforce for it. That's not a good thing at all. It's a major fucking waste.

Then why is the college graduate unemployment rate under 3%?
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Because graduates are getting priority over non-graduates. Getting a degree helps an employer know that you can dedicate yourself, put in work, and aren't stupid. However, getting the degree itself doesn't make you that person, it's just a reflection of it. So tens of thousands of dollars get spent on something that slightly lowers the rate of hiring incapable people. I don't know if that's a worthy investment.

For a lot of jobs that require a degree, the training you get when you're hired is sufficient, and what you learned in college isn't all that helpful. College used to be a place where people went to learn shit that couldn't realistically be taught on the job. Now it's just a lot more general knowledge. Of course, I'm speaking in terms of your average graduate who has a bachelor's degree and is looking for an average entry-level job....not people who are going into medicine or law.

• Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,632
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Respect da bidness. I'm calling the police.
  • Options
    2001400ex said:

yet another blatant indicator that 'unemployment rate' is a fictitious manipulated government statistic for sheep.
  • Options
    section8section8 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,581
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The degree or even a certificate program helps with the first couple jobs but after that for most part it's all on the individual to prove themselves. Unless your talking about medical or law, maybe education degrees they really don't matter all that much ten or fifteen years down the road when you've forgotten most of what you learned and are probably working in an unrelated field anyways.
  • Options

2001400ex said:

yet another blatant indicator that 'unemployment rate' is a fictitious manipulated government statistic for sheep.
    Yes, consider the statistics inaccurate (the same exact ones you bragged about when your guy was president and it was 4% overall). And believe hyperbole instead. Just what an "educated college graduate" should do.
  • Options
    Fuck off, murderer.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Fuck off, murderer.

You clearly hate facts. Sorry bro.
  • Options
    How is college not required in THIS economy? @RoadDawg55 @allpurpleallgold?

Sure, you can make a living if you have hard skills in a field like construction or other technical area. But that's not most people, and it's going to be even more pronounced in the future. How is sending people to school to learn how to write and read difficult material in any way a bad thing?
  • Options
    I see this fault with a lot of my lefty friends, where they're still stuck in this pre-1990's world where people should just be able to make a wage and go on with their lives. There's a reason that farming and manufacturing are going toward automation, and it's our responsibility to make sure people are prepared for the next economic period.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    This thread is FS.

You should all pay me a consultation fee and then I'd tell you how it is.
  • Options
    Hell, even medicine is going to see automation. The only fields that are entirely immune to disruption by robots are those that are derived from the "soft" liberal arts like philosophy, cultural criticism, art, etc.
  • Options

Hell, even medicine is going to see automation. The only fields that are entirely immune to disruption by robots are those that are derived from the "soft" liberal arts like philosophy, cultural criticism, art, etc.

You think accountants and lawyers are going automated?

Really, it doesn't matter the field. Just like T. Boone says. It's about hard work. Unless you are already wealthy like Gordon Gecko.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

I see this fault with a lot of my lefty friends, where they're still stuck in this pre-1990's world where people should just be able to make a wage and go on with their lives. There's a reason that farming and manufacturing are going toward automation, and it's our responsibility to make sure people are prepared for the next economic period.

Partially, yes, but there are many fields where the applicants are too overqualified, and the only reason you need a degree to get a job in it is because everyone else has one, and not because the education is necessary to perform.