Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Husky Fan Podcast: Post Utah, Pre STD U

Comments

• Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

Nice episode, really enjoyed it.

@HeretoBeatmyChest You say you disagree with me about Petersen costing us the game. If Gaskin gets DWash's carries, it's pretty safe to say he doesn't fumble once and definitely doesn't fumble twice. There's the difference in the ballgame right there.

I also agree with James and Roadie that Cooper deserves 2-5 carries a game. He's a serviceable back.

DW's fumbles led to 7 points not 14. We lost by 8.

The Durkee dropped punt is backbreaking because we had the lead and it gave Utah great field position. The Lenius penalty cost us 4 points and it could have been 7. Those are self inflicted.

Even with the sometimes fumbles DW is so much better to the offense than the other backs behind him. He is the only big play threat on the offense. He had a 30 yard run before the fumble which was a perfect hit by the defender. His numbers are good this year. Watch the next game, he will break one against an over aggressive defense. By the way, remember what happened last year when Cooper was trusted not to fumble?

We came out throwing bc Utah had a corner who was starting his first game. It worked well. Too bad Lenius got a stupid penalty and Durkee muffed a perfect snap to throw things off. Gaskin actually started off slow and was able to get going against a very good run defense because the pass opened some things up.

Like I said Utah was able to run more because they had the lead and they have a true running quarterback that gives them that extra dimension. Plus an experienced back who can handle 30 carries. Also, our defense was clearly weakened by injuries. Not having 2 of your 3 best guys hurts a lot (Baker and Qualls). I know Gaines played well but he wasn't tackling guys in the backfield or at the line of scrimmage.

If you want to blame the coaches for anything, blame them for not practicing in the rain enough (allegedly).

The reasons we lost the game were 3-fold: missing two of the three best players on defense which allowed Utah just enough success in the run game to keep at it, self inflicted wounds, a few of which could relate to practice above and back breaking questionable calls on consecutive series in the 4th quarter which allowed Utah to keep control of the game as they were losing it. I would like to see Gaskin get a few more carries but giving him 30 carries every game is not the difference between winning and losing as the majority of the bored seems to believe.
    We didn't run enough against Cal, Oregon, and arguably this past game against Utah. I'm not saying we would have won all three, but the pass heavy offense has certainly hurt us and greatly contributed to a loss or two.

Gaskin only had five carries in the first half. He's produced enough this year for that to be unacceptable.
    I do agree that we need to get Gaskin going earlier and he should be getting more carries. Especially now with the OL coming on and Browning improving. But the kneejerk reactions here are FS.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Utah's run defense is solid ... not really sure why everybody is thinking that running the ball first, second, and third would have been a successful strategy against them.

No offense @DerekJohnson, but given some of your recent comments about forest and trees, the logic that the game was lost by giving Washington carries and not sitting him on the bench 100% and transferring those carries to Gaskin as if they are linear is one of the worst lines of thinking on this board that I've heard after this game. For better or worse, Washington is arguably the most explosive offensive player on this roster. Putting him on the bench isn't necessarily a recipe for success.
  • Options
    section_332section_332 Member Posts: 2,403
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    edited November 2015
    Didn't Rudy get in at the last play of the game in a blowout?

Edit: Fuck Psalm or Salm.
  • Options
    @HeretoBeatmyChest I did say that there was a path to 8 or 9 if everything broke right ... I'm pretty sure if you find it I was thinking that 7 was the realistic number.
  • Options
    @jecornel this podcast was your best effort
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Why even run the ball at all?
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

@HeretoBeatmyChest I did say that there was a path to 8 or 9 if everything broke right ... I'm pretty sure if you find it I was thinking that 7 was the realistic number.

But how are you and AuburnDoog similar?
  • Options
    priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,036
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    So in 10 plays, 46 yards in all runs and a Browning punt on 4th and 1 > 66 yards in all passes and a missed FGA?

Lil Gaskin isn't going to wear out any defense at a legit 178#s.
  • Options

priapism said:

So in 10 plays, 46 yards in all runs and a Browning punt on 4th and 1 > 66 yards in all passes and a missed FGA?

Lil Gaskin isn't going to wear out any defense at a legit 178#s.

Wearing out a defense isn't based on the size of a RB. You are drowning in this thread.
    "Drowning in this thread."
    Broken metaphor.
    How about, "You're off target with Browning."
  • Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    I'm glad Roaddawg set it straight because even a woman knows QB's average more yards per attempt than RB's in all cases. Jesus christ you guys.
  • Options

I'm glad Roaddawg set it straight because even a woman knows QB's average more yards per attempt than RB's in all cases. Jesus christ you guys.

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,570
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Got my shoutout bitxhes! Im gonna have to masturbate more during the podcasts now. Redhooks all around
  • Options

Signed up to say I love the podcast but @HeretoBeatmyChest please don't eat while recording. With headphones on the munching in my ear was nearly as annoying as our offensive play calling.

I'll ask my Mom 2 Dads if she can adjust my feeding schedule.
    cripsed
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,410
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

@HeretoBeatmyChest You say you disagree with me about Petersen costing us the game. If Gaskin gets DWash's carries, it's pretty safe to say he doesn't fumble once and definitely doesn't fumble twice. There's the difference in the ballgame right there.

I also agree with James and Roadie that Cooper deserves 2-5 carries a game. He's a serviceable back.

The Durkee dropped punt is backbreaking because we had the lead and it gave Utah great field position. The Lenius penalty cost us 4 points and it could have been 7. Those are self inflicted.

Even with the sometimes fumbles DW is so much better to the offense than the other backs behind him. He is the only big play threat on the offense. He had a 30 yard run before the fumble which was a perfect hit by the defender. His numbers are good this year. Watch the next game, he will break one against an over aggressive defense. By the way, remember what happened last year when Cooper was trusted not to fumble?

We came out throwing bc Utah had a corner who was starting his first game. It worked well. Too bad Lenius got a stupid penalty and Durkee muffed a perfect snap to throw things off. Gaskin actually started off slow and was able to get going against a very good run defense because the pass opened some things up.

Like I said Utah was able to run more because they had the lead and they have a true running quarterback that gives them that extra dimension. Plus an experienced back who can handle 30 carries. Also, our defense was clearly weakened by injuries. Not having 2 of your 3 best guys hurts a lot (Baker and Qualls). I know Gaines played well but he wasn't tackling guys in the backfield or at the line of scrimmage.

If you want to blame the coaches for anything, blame them for not practicing in the rain enough (allegedly).

The reasons we lost the game were 3-fold: missing two of the three best players on defense which allowed Utah just enough success in the run game to keep at it, self inflicted wounds, a few of which could relate to practice above and back breaking questionable calls on consecutive series in the 4th quarter which allowed Utah to keep control of the game as they were losing it. I would like to see Gaskin get a few more carries but giving him 30 carries every game is not the difference between winning and losing as the majority of the bored seems to believe.
    We didn't run enough against Cal, Oregon, and arguably this past game against Utah. I'm not saying we would have won all three, but the pass heavy offense has certainly hurt us and greatly contributed to a loss or two.

Gaskin only had five carries in the first half. He's produced enough this year for that to be unacceptable.
    Last year we were 60-40 run. This year we are 50/50.

Like you said, if we go 60-40 run against Cal/Oregon/Utah, I am convinced we have 1 or 2 more wins.

This is my number one complaint against Smith/Coach Pete this year. Their stubbornness in being balanced when the pieces we have (freshman qb/below avg. wr corp) dictated we should have been in more run heavy/shorten the game mode and let your defense/special teams win the game.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2015

ASU shut down UCLA, SC and Utahs run game. They also really limited Oregons run game besides two or three home busts by Freeman/Benoit. Cal Poly somehow ran all over them.

Ironically, I think the pass heavy and cutesy-play calling all you fags hate may actually work vs ASUs jail break blitz Defense. Or not. Either way it won't be that interesting.
    UW's strength in the pass game is the TE's and DW, which bodes very well for beating an aggressive, blitzing type team. I don't know where I saw the stat but Browning is actually good against blitzes.

ASU has a strong rush D but as you noted that they don't contain the big play. Bill Connelly's S+P has Utah's rush D #10, UW #26, ASU #27 and USC #23. Gaskin has proved it against good run defenses.

UW will win this game if Adams and Qualls play and if they don't turn the ball over and get behind by 14 in the first half. ASU is not a good team other than the fact they can get turnovers and pound you with two good backs.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

ASU shut down UCLA, SC and Utahs run game. They also really limited Oregons run game besides two or three home busts by Freeman/Benoit. Cal Poly somehow ran all over them.

Ironically, I think the pass heavy and cutesy-play calling all you fags hate may actually work vs ASUs jail break blitz Defense. Or not. Either way it won't be that interesting.
    We already know Smiff and Pete are looking forward to airing it out.