Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Husky Fan Podcast: Post Utah, Pre STD U

Back to normal podcast. Less arguing, more energy. Sorry we couldn't answer all your questions. Will call for questions earlier next week.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/huskyfanpodcast/Nov9.2015PostUtahPreAsu.mp3

Comments

• Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    the argument was we don't know if Gaskin is capable of carrying it 25+ times a game, the whole 5-4 vs 4-5 thing was just a supplemental point
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Nice cast. Will talk about it in the am.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Road are you sure Gaskin is 195? I think you guys make solid points but he's listed at 192 and I'm not sure he's there.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,477
    Founders Club
    Nice episode, really enjoyed it.

@HeretoBeatmyChest You say you disagree with me about Petersen costing us the game. If Gaskin gets DWash's carries, it's pretty safe to say he doesn't fumble once and definitely doesn't fumble twice. There's the difference in the ballgame right there.

I also agree with James and Roadie that Cooper deserves 2-5 carries a game. He's a serviceable back.
  • Options
    priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,036
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Gaskin: 20 rushes for 93 yards, 19 long 4.65 yards per attempt
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400757071

Browning: 23 for 39 257 yards, 59 long 6.59 yards per attempt
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/3886812

4.65 > 6.59???

Still wanting more cow bell?

This reffing crap pro Stanford and Utah the past few weeks = I'm not watching anymore Pac games this year. If UW goes 8-0 or 7-1 next year, then maybe the refs will start giving UW the fixed calls. It's pretty much pointless to watch Pac 12 games anymore IMO -> it's all become about the Final 4 Playoff $$$ now. I'm not going to waste 3.5 hours of my life over these fixed games. I might start betting on Furd and Utah though.

• Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited November 2015
    Great podcast. One of your best. Thanks all 3 of you for the work.

Of note, Big Jim's (or JC's) reference to Rudy gets 100 up votes. And @RoadDawg55 comment on the abundance of discussion of white receivers was hilarious, but no mention of Paul Skansi?

Any chance we could get a menu of @HeretoBeatmyChest's dinner arrangement so we could better match the flavors to the sounds?
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,477
    Founders Club
    priapism said:

4.65 > 6.59???

This reffing crap pro Stanford and Utah the past few weeks = I'm not watching anymore Pac games this year. If UW goes 8-0 or 7-1 next year, then maybe the refs will start giving UW the fixed calls. It's pretty much pointless to watch Pac 12 games anymore IMO -> it's all become about the Final 4 Playoff $$$ now. I'm not going to waste 3.5 hours of my life over these fixed games. I might start betting on Furd and Utah though.

Turnovers

Browning 2
    Gaskin 0

Are we done here?
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,226
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Did I get a shout out or insulted?
  • Options

priapism said:

4.65 > 6.59???

Turnovers

Browning 2
    Gaskin 0

Are we done here?
    Washington 8 touches, 2 fumbles
    Gaskin 20 touches, 0 fumbles
    Browning 77 touches, 2 turnovers (with one coming from a replacement LT who whiffed on his block)

What is your point?
  • Options

No shout outs or insults. You are officially irrelevant.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,226
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HuskyInAZ said:

No shout outs or insults. You are officially irrelevant.
    Why did you reply then?
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    priapism said:

4.65 > 6.59???

That is ridiculously shortsighted. Utah averaged much more per attempt throwing, but they still ran much more. Same for Ohio State against Minnesota. Same for Alabama against LSU.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    edited November 2015
    Roadie is right.... If you are averaging less YPA passing than running you should die as an offense.

A 4.65 YPA running is actually about equal if not better than 6.59 YPA passing.

If you are at 7 YPA passing you are doing well. If you are at 10 or more you are doing great in the passing game.

4.65 per rush is above average.

Anyways. The offense actually played well when you take out the stupid bullshit playcalls with wild swede and a few of their reverses. We got more chunk plays against Utah than anyone has all year. Our mistakes cost us and the random play generator really hurt at crucial times as well.

When we ran our basic shit on offense we are actually successful on Saturday.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,293
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited November 2015

Some of you are so fucking stupid it hurts. All teams average more throwing the ball. That is truly the weakest argument of all time. Stanford might as well not give McCaffrey the ball considering Hogan averages more per attempt throwing. Same for Oregon and Freeman.

This.

What's better?

QB: 3 comp - 6 att - 42 yards

RB: 6 car - 42 yards

Running the football wears down an opponent and controls the tempo of the game.

But if you morons prefer the pass, I hear Leach has a great system east of you. They've never won anything, and have blown more games late than games they've won in his tenure there but it sure is FUN TO WATCH!!

Even though teams average more yards passing than running, running is more efficient and has far less risk, unless you give the ball to Washington. The numbers also don't show yards losses from sacks as well.

A quarterback throwing the ball 39 times and completing 23 is completing 59%, which is considered average, but also consider that 16 of the other passes went for no gain. Imagine if you had 16 rushes out of 39 stopped for no gain. Fans would go crazy. That's why it's not a fair comparison.
  • Options
    doogvilledoogville Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,184
    Swaye's Wigwam

Some of you are so fucking stupid it hurts. All teams average more throwing the ball. That is truly the weakest argument of all time. Stanford might as well not give McCaffrey the ball considering Hogan averages more per attempt throwing. Same for Oregon and Freeman.

This.

What's better?

But if you morons prefer the pass, I hear Leach has a great system east of you. They've never won anything, and have blown more games late than games they've won in his tenure there but it sure is FUN TO WATCH!!

Even though teams average more yards passing than running, running is more efficient and has far less risk, unless you give the ball to Washington. The numbers also don't show yards losses from sacks as well.

A quarterback throwing the ball 39 times and completing 23 is completing 59%, which is considered average, but also consider that 16 of the other passes went for no gain. Imagine if you had 16 rushes out of 39 stopped for no gain. Fans would go crazy. That's why it's not a fair comparison.
    This is dumb. 6 plays for 42 yards is 6 plays for 42 yards. "Wearing them down," tempo, TOP, etc are irrelevant as long as you move the ball.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

@HeretoBeatmyChest You say you disagree with me about Petersen costing us the game. If Gaskin gets DWash's carries, it's pretty safe to say he doesn't fumble once and definitely doesn't fumble twice. There's the difference in the ballgame right there.

I also agree with James and Roadie that Cooper deserves 2-5 carries a game. He's a serviceable back.

DW's fumbles led to 7 points not 14. We lost by 8.

The Durkee dropped punt is backbreaking because we had the lead and it gave Utah great field position. The Lenius penalty cost us 4 points and it could have been 7. Those are self inflicted.

Even with the sometimes fumbles DW is so much better to the offense than the other backs behind him. He is the only big play threat on the offense. He had a 30 yard run before the fumble which was a perfect hit by the defender. His numbers are good this year. Watch the next game, he will break one against an over aggressive defense. By the way, remember what happened last year when Cooper was trusted not to fumble?

We came out throwing bc Utah had a corner who was starting his first game. It worked well. Too bad Lenius got a stupid penalty and Durkee muffed a perfect snap to throw things off. Gaskin actually started off slow and was able to get going against a very good run defense because the pass opened some things up.

Like I said Utah was able to run more because they had the lead and they have a true running quarterback that gives them that extra dimension. Plus an experienced back who can handle 30 carries. Also, our defense was clearly weakened by injuries. Not having 2 of your 3 best guys hurts a lot (Baker and Qualls). I know Gaines played well but he wasn't tackling guys in the backfield or at the line of scrimmage.

If you want to blame the coaches for anything, blame them for not practicing in the rain enough (allegedly).

The reasons we lost the game were 3-fold: missing two of the three best players on defense which allowed Utah just enough success in the run game to keep at it, self inflicted wounds, a few of which could relate to practice above and back breaking questionable calls on consecutive series in the 4th quarter which allowed Utah to keep control of the game as they were losing it. I would like to see Gaskin get a few more carries but giving him 30 carries every game is not the difference between winning and losing as the majority of the bored seems to believe.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,947
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Our SOS is seven?????!!!!! Wth kind of fucked parallel universe are we living in???
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

DW's fumbles led to 7 points not 14. We lost by 8.

The Durkee dropped punt is backbreaking because we had the lead and it gave Utah great field position. The Lenius penalty cost us 4 points and it could have been 7. Those are self inflicted.

Even with the sometimes fumbles DW is so much better to the offense than the other backs behind him. He is the only big play threat on the offense. He had a 30 yard run before the fumble which was a perfect hit by the defender. His numbers are good this year. Watch the next game, he will break one against an over aggressive defense. By the way, remember what happened last year when Cooper was trusted not to fumble?

We came out throwing bc Utah had a corner who was starting his first game. It worked well. Too bad Lenius got a stupid penalty and Durkee muffed a perfect snap to throw things off. Gaskin actually started off slow and was able to get going against a very good run defense because the pass opened some things up.

Like I said Utah was able to run more because they had the lead and they have a true running quarterback that gives them that extra dimension. Plus an experienced back who can handle 30 carries. Also, our defense was clearly weakened by injuries. Not having 2 of your 3 best guys hurts a lot (Baker and Qualls). I know Gaines played well but he wasn't tackling guys in the backfield or at the line of scrimmage.

If you want to blame the coaches for anything, blame them for not practicing in the rain enough (allegedly).

The reasons we lost the game were 3-fold: missing two of the three best players on defense which allowed Utah just enough success in the run game to keep at it, self inflicted wounds, a few of which could relate to practice above and back breaking questionable calls on consecutive series in the 4th quarter which allowed Utah to keep control of the game as they were losing it. I would like to see Gaskin get a few more carries but giving him 30 carries every game is not the difference between winning and losing as the majority of the bored seems to believe.
    We didn't run enough against Cal, Oregon, and arguably this past game against Utah. I'm not saying we would have won all three, but the pass heavy offense has certainly hurt us and greatly contributed to a loss or two.

Gaskin only had five carries in the first half. He's produced enough this year for that to be unacceptable.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,293
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited November 2015
    doogville said:

This.

What's better?

This is dumb. 6 plays for 42 yards is 6 plays for 42 yards. "Wearing them down," tempo, TOP, etc are irrelevant as long as you move the ball.
    Disagree.

There's a time and a place.

So it's the same to have three incompletes mid fourth quarter up a touchdown vs 6 straight runs milking clock?

The last 9 minutes of Oregon vs Cal in 2010 is a perfect example of the difference between the two.

You're also ignoring the theory that the outcome of B is a result of the outcome of A. Meaning when you are running the ball down a teams' throat for 50 yards, then throw a 30 yard play action touchdown, are you saying the pass was better, even though the 50 yards of rushing is what set up the pass in the first place?

Based on your assumption that all is equal, UW should adopt the air raid.