Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

More coach comparisons

Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,952
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Founders Club
It's not really scientific and I didn't research any SRS, but I thought the incremental progressions were kind of interesting. I included the year before they arrived but nothing previous to that.

I actually did this about a week ago and forgot about it and I did McCartney's just now. Cool story bro.

Lou Holtz (definitely a top five college coach of the last 50 years):

At Arkansas:

1976 (year before): 5-5-1

1977 (first year): 11-1
1978: 11-1
1979: 10-2

He dropped off a little after, but not much. Rumor has it his AD fired him because he supported Jessie Helms. It seems like such a douche Emmert move to fire someone over one's political bent, even if Helms is raycist. Who cares? He won everywhere he went except for the jets.

Minnesota:

1983 (yr. before): 1-10

1984: 4-7
1985: 7-5

If Holtz had stayed for 10 or 15 years, they probably make some Rose Bowls and aren't the has been program we reference.

Notre Dame:

1985 (yr. before): 5-6

1986: 5-6
1987: 8-4
1988: 12-0 (NC)

South Carolina:

1998 (year before): 1-10

1999: 0-11
2000: 8-4
2001: 9-3

Bob Stoops at Oklahomo:

1998 (year before): 5-6

1999: 7-5
2000: 13-0 (NC)
2001: 11-2

The only real down years he's had were 2005, 2009, and last year IIRC. Yet people think he's getting over the hill...

Les Miles:

Oklahoma State:

2000 (year before): 3-8

2001: 4-7
2002: 8-5
2003: 9-4

He set up Mike Gundy's success in the 2000s, IMO. They were awful from the time Barry Sanders left until he came.

at LSU; I skipped it because he inherited a national champion and also, fuck the sec, but he went 42-8 in his first four years. They're still obviously a contender.

Bill McCartney:

He inherited a bad Colorado program and it took him a long time to rebuild it, because it's hard. Colorado also played tough schedules in the 80s, i.e. they didn't play Colorado School of Mines, Montana State, and then Colorado State as their difficult game. By the same token, the middle and lower tier teams of what is now Power 5 were often times really bad. Think of Oregon State, Kansas, Vanderbilt. Nebraska and Oklahomo could usually breeze through the Big 8 because at least four teams really sucked. College football was very different as many of you know.

1981 (year before): 3-8

1982: 2-8-1
1983: 4-7
1984: 1-10
1985: 7-5 (lost to Hugh Millen led us in the Freedumb Bowel)
1986 through '88 were similar 7-4 type seasons, because it was hard

1989 was their big breakthrough. I remember them thrashing "us" at Husky Stadium, even though the game wasn't on TV. There was some uniform faggotry involving all purple I believe, but preferable to whatever the hell is going on now.

From 1989 through 1994, he went 58-11-4 and 36-3-3 in the Big 8. He won a national title, made two Orange Bowls, two Fiesta Bowls, and won or tied for the Big 8 three times. So sometimes you have to be patient and it pays off. It's not comparable to coming off a 9-4 season obviously, but things don't happen overnight. Maybe Petersen has a bunch of 6-8 win seasons and he's a dud, but he's going to get a lot of leeway anyway, so LIPO for now.

Comments

• Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Great research, thanks. People who say Stoops isn't an elite coach is a good retard litmus test.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,605
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I hope the McCartney parallel is apt. A soft spoken, christian man that the admin can rally behind. Oh yeah, he also recruits hard pipe hitting thugs from Southern California. I'm not in for four poor seasons but a natty and a dominant five year run sound alright with me.

Abundance.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited November 2015

I hope the McCartney parallel is apt. A soft spoken, christian man that the admin can rally behind. Oh yeah, he also recruits hard pipe hitting thugs from Southern California. I'm not in for four poor seasons but a natty and a dominant five year run sound alright with me.

Abundance.

Bill McCartney is a fag.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,764
    Founders Club

Abundance.

Pete isn't a faggoty Christian
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,136
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Abundance.

And there's no way our faggoty liberal admin supports a guy who's a Christian and likely politically conservative. See James, Don for an example of what that looks like.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,764
    Founders Club

Abundance.

And there's no way our faggoty liberal admin supports a guy who's a Christian and likely politically conservative. See James, Don for an example of what that looks like.
    We had a fucking Mormon for a university president
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,495
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Abundance.

We had a fucking Mormon for a university president
    He didn't last long.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,605
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Being a fag and a christian seems like an oxymoron. History says it isn't.

In case you forgot '89 and '90.

A Haiku:

McCartney raped James
    What's better, raped or raper
    Just sayin' don't twist

I know assholes, 20-14 isn't rape and if Bailey or Gaspard make a play we win but I only have 17 syllables.
  • Options
    Founders Club

A Haiku:

McCartney raped James
    Just sayin' don't twist

I know assholes, 20-14 isn't rape and if Bailey or Gaspard make a play we win but I only have 17 syllables.

They went all Jonathan Smiff from the 7-yard-line. Greg Lewis & Darius Turner... need I say more?
  • Options
    Founders Club

A Haiku:

McCartney raped James
    Just sayin' don't twist

They went all Jonathan Smiff from the 7-yard-line. Greg Lewis & Darius Turner... need I say more?
    I remember being in the car with my dad (not sure which dad) listening to that game and hearing that UW didn't try running from the 7. I might've been a dumbass at that point in my life but even I knew you run the ball from the there at least once.
    That game was devastating, so was the UCLA game later on in the year. Another fucked up game was the "Snow Bowl", where our? corches insisted on trying to run Kaufman, when they were having success running Turner up the middle. But, I digress...
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I understand the frustration from the older fans who actually watched the team when it was absolutely dominant for being impatient. I agree people need to LIPO though. I think if the team isn't winning big games and have at least 10 wins next year then we have another shitty coach.

What I saw when looking up most coaches is that the good ones hit their stride in year 3 and started winning NCs/Big time bowls in year 4 (some year 3 and of course there are some who win in year 2 like Meyer).

There are definitely some big time concerns that have been shown this year. There are also huge signs of optimism too that balance it out so it's really hard (it's hard) to tell.