Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Great story about why coaching matters

2»

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Not to downplay the whole winning thing because not only does it matter, but it's the only stat that anybody should ever give 2 shits about.

But given the overall youth on the roster, and given that in many ways that this year is as much about player development as anything else, there's a fine line between developing players and winning games.

Browning hasn't been great this year ... and I don't think anybody is expecting him to be. But if what we get over the next 2-3 years is due in part to taking some lumps this year, then wouldn't the future payoff be worth it?
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,589
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Petersen has the chance to buy another year from me. The gains by parts of this team (Defense, special teams, and incremental growth on the o-line, lack of forceful plungerings) have been refreshing but Smith and his offense are the ashtray on my greasy pork sandwich. Has Pete shown himself to be a good game day manager? No, but neither is Les Miles and he has a natty. Hire a competent, professional coordinator and lets see what happens. If we get more of the same next year...Door.Ass.Out. Experiment over, He's not the guy.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,717
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Neat little story but its not like Florida was in the middle of a HUUUGE REBUILDING YEAR in 2005.

They were favored by 4 in that game. They won by 4. Not because of the offense- the offense sucked balls. It was one of the worst games of the year for an offense that averaged 27 points against power 5 conference teams.

They won because they held Georgia to 4.5 yards per play and Georgia missed two field goals.

Why did the coach get fired after the 04 season then?

When will UW not be in the middle of a HUGE rebuilding year?

When will doogs stop dismissing every successful coach and apologizing for the losers we hire?

They didn't cross midfield against LSU. Those 14 points stopped them from losing 10-0

Only at UW is the task so fucking monumental that you can't expect shit for 12 years so just sit back and make excuses.

Does anyone think that Petersen burns with the fire of a thousand suns to win like Meyer did and does?

Why would he you fucking doogs love losing

Rack me
    Didn't you listen to the fan podcast? Are you senile?

I don't make up the rules. I don't know why this is a HUGE REBUILDING YEAR™ and next year won't be. I am just a minion. Ask the Chest.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,724
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Neat little story but its not like Florida was in the middle of a HUUUGE REBUILDING YEAR in 2005.

They were favored by 4 in that game. They won by 4. Not because of the offense- the offense sucked balls. It was one of the worst games of the year for an offense that averaged 27 points against power 5 conference teams.

They won because they held Georgia to 4.5 yards per play and Georgia missed two field goals.

Why did the coach get fired after the 04 season then?

When will UW not be in the middle of a HUGE rebuilding year?

When will doogs stop dismissing every successful coach and apologizing for the losers we hire?

They didn't cross midfield against LSU. Those 14 points stopped them from losing 10-0

Only at UW is the task so fucking monumental that you can't expect shit for 12 years so just sit back and make excuses.

Does anyone think that Petersen burns with the fire of a thousand suns to win like Meyer did and does?

Why would he you fucking doogs love losing

Rack me
    Didn't you listen to the fan podcast? Are you senile?

I don't make up the rules. I don't know why this is a HUGE REBUILDING YEAR™ and next year won't be. I am just a minion. Ask the Chest.
    I didn't listen so if I blew up at you for no reason I apologize but it felt good to do so anyway
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,237
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Passion said:

In 1999 neuheisel inherited an option QB, but he (neuheisel) had never run the option. So, he called nebraska, air force and other programs that had perfected that system. He implemented the option and the rest is Rose Bowl history.

Not a huge neuheisel fan, but it shows what can happen when a coach understands his players' abilities and puts winning over some "offensive philosophy" that worked in a different place, a different time, and with different people.

At Neu's direction, Gilby sat down with Tui and Conniff in a room and said "teach me everything you know about running the option". They had run it at Woodinville and gone to the state semi finals in 1996.

On a side note, Tui and Conniff were part of an epic collapse during a monsoon that kept them from reaching the state championship game. They had a fumbled exchange that was returned for a TD, and the very next series Tui threw a pick 6.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,892
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    One of the reasons I was excited about Petersen is the belief he had the ability to take recruiting classes cumulatively ranked 23rd (I'm pulling the number from my ass, but it's probably accurate + - 3 spots) and turn it onto the 11th ranked team in a couple years. The defense has made good progress but the offense hasn't yet.

So the trajectory went from 9-4 to 8-6 to ??? 6-7?
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,576
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I think Lindy could have been a great option QB for us this year. Even better would have been Troy Williams.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,527
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Good point. I just lazily looked up average scoring and then called it a week.

HFNY said:

I don't really care if he's flexible or inflexible though, as long as they score more points. Run the same play over and over if they have to....the ends justifies the means.

One other thing, for as much as people like to criticize Petersen's last year at BSU in 2013, I think his offense was actually 17th in the nation in points per game.

This is the type of shit that has me extremely concerned about Petersen. A coach can still run a tough, discipline program and still be flexible at the same time.

Adjusted for their opponents that offense was very mediocre.
  • Options
    priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,036
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    UW simply needs whatever offense that can score 40 in a Pac game, not this 20 crap. Start throwing high-arcs deep, it's ok if a 50 yard pass gets intercepted at this point of ineptness.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    HFNY said:

Good points but....NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR VEGAS TALK!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!@!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!

Exactly, no one cares.

Maybe you can learn something.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,341
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

But still
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    BearsWiin said:

I think it was during the Texas-TCU game earlier this year that the guys in the booth were talking about Texas' problems, and one of them said something along the lines of "Yeah, Texas is young and inexperienced, but look at TCU; their freshmen are making plays."

TCU starts 4 SR OL, along with a SR Heisman candidate at QB and a SR WR who may be the best WR in the country. So, yeah, it's all about those FR making plays.
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,948
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    HuskyInAZ said:

BearsWiin said:

I think it was during the Texas-TCU game earlier this year that the guys in the booth were talking about Texas' problems, and one of them said something along the lines of "Yeah, Texas is young and inexperienced, but look at TCU; their freshmen are making plays."

TCU starts 4 SR OL, along with a SR Heisman candidate at QB and a SR WR who may be the best WR in the country. So, yeah, it's all about those FR making plays.
    Of course it isn't. It's also about the coaching staff putting those freshmen in a position to make plays.
  • Options
    no_uhno_uh Member Posts: 760
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited November 2015