Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Petersen Question From Stewart Mandel's Mailbag

Comments

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

I think Kim's FS comments from when Peterman was hired have some inflating his recruiting results. Last year's class was sixth in the PAC 12 on 24/7 and 5th on Scout. That's right in the middle. It's pretty good, but other schools recruit good players too.

Part of my faith in Pete's recruiting comes from Sidney Jones, Dante Pettis and Will Dissly. All these guys were not highly recruited, but played well as freshmen and were specifically targeted by Pete as guys who hadn't gotten big time offers, but who were good players.

Obviously 1 year is not enough to make a judgment, but to the extent that there is any evidence at all, the evidence points to him doing well picking out players.

He certainly doesn't just offer and recruit every 4-star kid. He is selective and that shows even when he's offering kids that no one else likes.

I keep trashing the midget LBs, WR and Jordan Miller (who is fucking awful), but I do think he's not just crazy; there's something there he likes. His track record at Boise speaks for itself and when you combine that with what we saw out of guys like Jones, Pettis and Dissly last year, I think there's some evidence that his mid-tier guys can be trusted.

No one fucking wins a national championship with a bunch of mid tier guys, though. You get Natty's because you have the 3-stars that turn into Emptermanns and the 4 and 5 star kids are all really outstanding.

Our Natty team was filled with top-level recruits and depth players who were also top level recruits (this is their equivalent star ratings):

QB: Billy Joe Hobert - 4 (Mark Brunell - 4)
    RB: Beno Bryant - 4 (Jay Berry - 4, Nip - 5)
    FB: Matt Jones - 4 (Matt Jones - 4)
    WR: Mario Bailey - 4
    WR: Orlando McKay - 4
    TE: Aaron Pierce - 4 (Mark Bruener - 5)
    T: Kris Rongen - 3 (Andrew Peterson - 5)
    G: Lincoln Kennedy - 5
    C: Ed Cunningham - 4 (Frank Garcia - 3)
    G: Pete Kaligis - 3
    T: Siupeli Malamala - 4 (Tom Gallagher - 4)

DE: Donald Jones - 3 (Jamal Fountaine - 4)
    DT: Stan Emptermann - 3 (D'Marco Farr - 4)
    DT: Tyrone Rogers - 4 (Mike Lustyk - 5, Steve Hoffmann - 5)
    DE: Andy Mason - 3
    LB: Dave Hoffmann - 4/5 (James Clifford - 3/4)
    LB: Jaime Fields - 3/4 (Hilary Butler - 4)
    LB: Chico Fraley - 3/4 (Brett Collins - 3/4)
    DB: Walter Bailey - 4 (William Doctor - 3/4)
    DB: Dana Hall - 4
    DB: Tommie Smith - 5 (Paxton Tailele - 4)
    DB: Shane Pahukoa - 3
    I was gonna say this was the POTD but then I read your response to @Tequilla and spit out my beverage. Well done sir.
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    @HeretoBeatmyChest's poast was a little difficult for me to decipher, but suffice it to say that we ALMOST never recruited above UCLA and USC (I think in '88 we were ahead of 1 of them). And third is always where we want to be. This 5th shit is a disaster. Oregon is basically always third now and what we used to be. Now we battle fucking Stanford and ASU.

Close the fucking program down. Fuck.

Anyway, the point I was making is that you have to have last year's class as an 'average' class and ones above that where you produce some superstars to contend for Nattys. Like, if we'd gotten Skinny this year, bam—there you go—superstar.

We don't have a fucking superstar on our radar this year, we just have some decent players (outside of guys like Lawrence and Juarez who are a million to one). Next year it's Sarrell and Ahmed in-state. We better fucking get them.

It's no big deal if Tommie Smith never becomes an All-America so long as guys like Mario Bailey does. Same thing with Kasen's class. He never became an All-America, but Marcus Peters did, so no sweat.

What you need is All Pac-12 players at every position, then some All-Americans. My suspicion is this isn't the year we'll see that.
  • WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,793

Is it too late to change the HH slogan that was just revealed?

@HeretoBeatmyChest's poast was a little difficult for me to decipher, but suffice it to say that we ALMOST never recruited above UCLA and USC (I think in '88 we were ahead of 1 of them). And third is always where we want to be. This 5th shit is a disaster. Oregon is basically always third now and what we used to be. Now we battle fucking Stanford and ASU.

Anyway, the point I was making is that you have to have last year's class as an 'average' class and ones above that where you produce some superstars to contend for Nattys. Like, if we'd gotten Skinny this year, bam—there you go—superstar.

We don't have a fucking superstar on our radar this year, we just have some decent players (outside of guys like Lawrence and Juarez who are a million to one). Next year it's Sarrell and Ahmed in-state. We better fucking get them.

It's no big deal if Tommie Smith never becomes an All-America so long as guys like Mario Bailey does. Same thing with Kasen's class. He never became an All-America, but Marcus Peters did, so no sweat.

What you need is All Pac-12 players at every position, then some All-Americans. My suspicion is this isn't the year we'll see that.

What if Browning is that superstar instead of Skinny Eason?

I dont think we disagree...last years class was good but it needs to be a base and we cant drop below it. This year we will surpass that..even though losing Eason hurts.
    We just took Aaron Fuller. It's over for this year.

So I think most everyone agrees. We need to get to #3 in the Pac 12 in recruiting. We need Peterman to figure his offense the fuck out, preferably soon. And we need Browning (don't bring up Carta Samuels) to be great because Eason isn't coming.

First of all Dennis, I'll wait for purpledoogfan's analysis before coming to an opinion. But yes, this roster still badly lacks a #1 WR.

If we average 3.25-3.40 (stars per player) every year then we'll be in very good shape.

For me, the shitty players from last year will tell me a lot. The BBKs, the Beaverses, the Bacchanalias... if those guys are good, then I will be surprised, mystified and teary-eyed.

If not, I'm going to bomb Lucas, TX.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    I'd be surprised if you knew where Lucas, TX was before today
    Tequilla said:

I lived in Dallas for 7 years jagoff! How do think I had those big nights at the Southlake Cheesecake Factory where I drank bottles of Champagne and ate a whole cheesecake (editor's note: this is a good way to administer a diabetic coma)?!!?

I didn't live in fucking Arlington or Sachse either.

I lived in the middle of fucking Dallas proper. 75275 bitch.
    And I lived in DFW for 8 years jagoff! How do you think I had those big nights at The Loon where I drank bottomless Crown and Cokes and stared at SMU coeds (editor's note: yes, the scenery looked as good as it sounds) or over indulged at Joe T Garcia's while I was busy being a #TCUMBASuperiorityGuy?!!?

I didn't live in fucking Euless or Denton either.

I lived in the middle of the fucking 635 loop. 75244 bitch.
    And for the record, I had never heard of Lucas, TX before today. Which is definitely saying something because one of my good friends lives in Sasche (which isn't THAT far away from Lucas) and I've played plenty of golf in the Allen area (The Courses at Watters Creek) ...
  • BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    edited July 2015

First of all Dennis, I'll wait for purpledoogfan's analysis before coming to an opinion. But yes, this roster still badly lacks a #1 WR.

If we average 3.25-3.40 (stars per player) every year then we'll be in very good shape.

Ive always felt a program that can nail OL, DL and QB recruiting - can get away with non-superstar 3 star talent in the backend and perimeter. But you cannot flub those 3 positions regardless of how stars average out.
  • LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member Posts: 13,309

Tequilla said:

I lived in Dallas for 7 years jagoff! How do think I had those big nights at the Southlake Cheesecake Factory where I drank bottles of Champagne and ate a whole cheesecake (editor's note: this is a good way to administer a diabetic coma)?!!?

If you lived in 75275 and drove to Southlake for cheesecake factory you were really doing it wrong.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,953 Founders Club

So you're saying Beat Oregon, Nothing Else Matters?
    brchco12 said:

Tequilla said:

If you lived in 75275 and drove to Southlake for cheesecake factory you were really doing it wrong.