Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Aldridge...WDWHA

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,070
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    David West is a strong signing for the Spurs ...

Apparently he thinks Pop and Timmy's 5 rings are a better indicator of future success than LBJ's 2-5 record in NBA Finals.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Awesome. Another non winner lifer at the end of his career. I didn't want him on the Cavs. Pacer losers are not welcome
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,285
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited July 2015

One of the longest tenured players in franchise history chose to leave, taking with him one playoff series victory, which happened to be sealed by Lillard.

but the Spurs are going to win the title now

I'm not completely high on Aldridge, but Portland would have lost that series in 5, if Aldridge hadn't played like he did in games 1 and 2 of that series.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    It's sad how far Race has fallen
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2015

Awesome. Another non winner lifer at the end of his career. I didn't want him on the Cavs. Pacer losers are not welcome

What Warriors player ever won anything before this year? Once upon a time the Celtics added two veteran all stars at the end of their prime to pair with Paul Pierce, another guy who had never won anything.

The Spurs already had a good team and now are better. It's not any more complicated than that.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Steve Kerr

I am predicting right now and right here that the Warriors are an anomaly this year. Yes they won fair and square, unlike my critics here I don't diminish accomplishment with stupid - yeah buts like doogs do. I'm not calling my critics doogs, so don't twist.

I just don't think the Warriors win again.

The difference with the Spurs is that they are going down. Duncan Parker and Genobbliilibbil were the foundation around which the role players orbited. The sun is dying. Like the late 80's Celtics.

This is why history is important. You can learn things from it.

People forget that Phil Jackson coached several non champion Laker teams. Without the stars in their prime it doesn't matter who the coach is
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Steve Kerr

I am predicting right now and right here that the Warriors are an anomaly this year. Yes they won fair and square, unlike my critics here I don't diminish accomplishment with stupid - yeah buts like doogs do. I'm not calling my critics doogs, so don't twist.

I just don't think the Warriors win again.

The difference with the Spurs is that they are going down. Duncan Parker and Genobbliilibbil were the foundation around which the role players orbited. The sun is dying. Like the late 80's Celtics.

This is why history is important. You can learn things from it.

People forget that Phil Jackson coached several non champion Laker teams. Without the stars in their prime it doesn't matter who the coach is

Except the Spurs drafted and developed Kawaii Leonard into a top 10-15 player in the league. He's the Spurs version of Len Bias without the OD. But, if you want to pretend like they aren't a contender, go ahead.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I am very specific. They won't win the West. I said they would win 50 - that's a contender for whatever that is worth which is nothing.

Is Leonard Bias or a one hit wonder? His performance against the Clippers left something to be desired.
  • Options
    Senile Uncle Race is off his rocker a bit ...

As RoadDawg so accurately pointed out, the extension of the mid-80s Celtics team was going to be the transition into Len Bias and the ability to lighten the load for the remaining front court players for the Celtics.

The 87 team saw its championship chances get burned by McHale's broken foot (from which he never really recovered from) and Magic's sky hook in Game 4.

The 88 team just flat out lacked depth that was an extension of the 87 team.

Bird gets hurt in 89 and the Celtics trade Ainge to extend younger front court depth by getting Joe Kleine ... ouch

What many forget though, is that when Bird returned for the 89-90 season until his retirement in 91-92, the Celtics won 52, 56, and 51 games. Even the year after Bird retired the Celtics won 48 games.

So when you really break it down, the reasons for the Celtics dynasty falling apart had 3 major factors:

1) Len Bias OD
    2) Retirement/Fall of the Big Three (Bird in '92, McHale in '93, Parish leaving in '94 as a free agent)
    3) Death of Reggie Lewis
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Dennis Dixon thought that post was stupid.

Lot of doogs here today

What many forget though, is that when Bird returned for the 89-90 season until his retirement in 91-92, the Celtics won 52, 56, and 51 games. Even the year after Bird retired the Celtics won 48 games.

isn't that what I just said the Spurs are? Why yes it is
  • Options
    The projections place them as a mid 60 win team right now ... not in the 50s.

Leonard is a Top 10-15 player in the league right now. Duncan can dial up his play when needed. Aldridge gives a 2nd option to score on the interior. Both bigs are good passers. Add to that David West who can do much of the same with Boris Diaw and the Spurs have best front court in the league at this point.

I do question their guard play a little bit and would feel a lot better if they got someone in that can defend some of the better PGs in the league in case Parker is really done.

But at this point, I'm not going to go as far as saying that the Spurs are the favorite to win the West or the NBA Title, but they are on a definite short list.

When talking shit about them last year, the series they played with the Clippers was 1-2 rounds before when it should have been played. Both teams were better than the Rockets (I don't care that the Rockets won the series against the Clippers ... that was a super fluke event).

I don't see a single team outside of the Warriors that I view as being in the same class as the Warriors/Spurs right now. Memphis is probably the next best team. Houston has some serious issues to me and I don't think that they've gotten better in the offseason (most likely worse). I like some of what the Mavs have done but I need to see it first. Clips with a massive hole without Jordan that is a huge problem given that they don't get cap relief to go replace him. OKC could get into the top 2-4 discussion in the West but there are far more unknowns with them than the other 3 teams at this point.

The West will be very top heavy next year.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    So you don't think the Warriors or Spurs win the West again. Or is it that the Warriors just won't win it all?

I don't think you are giving G Pop enough credit. Leonard looked amazing in the finals 2 seasons ago and I think Lamarcus is a huge pick up for them.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2015
    Aldridge < Gasol. Gasol was the best player on the 2010 title team in the finals.

The Spurs are finally too old and may have peaked this year. Their vets will fall off suddenly and be done within a year or two. Already saw signs of it in Parker and Ginobli in playoffs. I watched every game of LAC/SA and SA was outplayed almost the entire series except the one blowout game. Leonard is not a #1 guy on a championship team. West and Aldridge will keep them in the chase but Parker and Duncan can't go multiple rounds in long series, which they will be in the West.

Warriors had a real easy path to the title. Didn't face a healthy point guard the entire time and avoided both SAS and Clippers.

OKC is the most interesting. This could be their year to really breakthrough. I don't trust them though. Westbrook doesn't make the other guys better as much as he potentially could and Durant is a bit overrated in my opinion.

My early pick would be Cavs over Thunder.

The top of the East may be even weaker next year and whoever wins the West next year will have a much tougher path than GS this year. Cavs should naturally be better in the second year with an overhauled roster and will have the entire season to tinker with lineups and prepare for a title run.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    The guy that thinks Pau Gasol was better than Kobe agrees with Race. Nuff said on that.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    edited July 2015

Aldridge < Gasol. Gasol was the best player on the 2010 title team in the finals.

The Spurs are finally too old and may have peaked this year. Their vets will fall off suddenly and be done within a year or two. Already saw signs of it in Parker and Ginobli in playoffs. I watched every game of LAC/SA and SA was outplayed almost the entire series except the one blowout game. Leonard is not a #1 guy on a championship team. West and Aldridge will keep them in the chase but Parker and Duncan can't go multiple rounds in long series, which they will be in the West.

Warriors had a real easy path to the title. Didn't face a healthy point guard the entire time and avoided both SAS and Clippers.

OKC is the most interesting. This could be their year to really breakthrough. I don't trust them though. Westbrook doesn't make the other guys better as much as he potentially could and Durant is a bit overrated in my opinion.

The top of the East may be even weaker next year and whoever wins the West next year will have a much tougher path than GS this year. Cavs should naturally be better in the second year with an overhauled roster and will have the entire season to tinker with lineups and prepare for a title run.

Gasol arguably had the best finals. He was nothing close to the best player on the team in the finals. This is like the Igoudala > Curry argument. If Gasol got the defensive attention that Kobe got and Kobe got the defensive attention Gasol got it would not have been close.

And I agree Pau is > Lamarcus but it's not by much.

Memphis Pau was between 11th and 17th in the league in PER (not a perfect stat but the best advanced stat we have back then, and it's not like Pau was a defensive beast so if anything he looks better in PER than he should) with one spike year at 7th. LaMarcus was 11th in PER this year, and has been in the 13-19 range over the last four years with one off year in the low 20's (I think it was 22). Like Pau, LaMarcus isn't a defensive beast.

Pau might have been a slightly better acquisition for the Lakers but they're super similar players in the same tier. Great to have as your #2, not great to have as your #1.

And one more time, LOFL at Pau was worse than Meta, Bynum and Kardashian.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    dnc said:

Gasol arguably had the best finals. He was nothing close to the best player on the team in the finals. This is like the Igoudala > Curry argument. If Gasol got the defensive attention that Kobe got and Kobe got the defensive attention Gasol got it would not have been close.

And I agree Pau is > Lamarcus but it's not by much.

Memphis Pau was between 11th and 17th in the league in PER (not a perfect stat but the best advanced stat we have back then, and it's not like Pau was a defensive beast so if anything he looks better in PER than he should) with one spike year at 7th. LaMarcus was 11th in PER this year, and has been in the 13-19 range over the last four years with one off year in the low 20's (I think it was 22). Like Pau, LaMarcus isn't a defensive beast.

Pau might have been a slightly better acquisition for the Lakers but they're super similar players in the same tier. Great to have as your #2, not great to have as your #1.

And one more time, LOFL at Pau was worse than Meta, Bynum and Kardashian.
    Meta did hit that shot though.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

The guy that thinks Pau Gasol was better than Kobe agrees with Race. Nuff said on that.

Low tweak