Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

USC vs UCLA football recruiting: the battle for LA

Comments

• Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I like how USC has 'spanked' UCLA in recruiting the last 3 years but lost on the field all 3 times.

I also like how USC is losing recruiting battles in LA now that Sark has arrived 'proving' to the writer 'both' programs are on the rise.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Until one of those two schools hires a coach that can develop the talent and manage games, they will both continue to underachieve.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,443
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited March 2015

Until one of those two schools hires a coach that can develop the talent and manage games, they will both continue to always underachieve.

FTFY.

UCLA will forever be the school that does less with more. Outside of Carroll, when was the last time USC was dominant?
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    the last time they cheated?
  • Options
    BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited March 2015

Until one of those two schools hires a coach that can develop the talent and manage games, they will both continue to underachieve.

UCLA has developed individual player talent very well under Mora. The weakness of the program is largely schematic and game management. I know the jealously is real with other P12 fans of the LA schools, but I think there is still upside for Mora at UCLA. More talent more depth and the program has the OL pipeline finally rolling after three years of predominantly first and second year starters on the OL.

SC is a just an average coach away from a juggernaut.

If Peterson manages a 10-3 year in either of the next two years, we know 81% of this board will be lining up to give him HJs, and won't call it underacheiving. Bias much?
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,521
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    This is a big year for Mora, now his 4th. UCLA will pretty much know what they have with him at the end of the season.

UCLA has a very good OL (all 5 starters return and it's pretty deep now too), a very good RB in Paul Perkins (could be Pac-12 offensive player player of the year in 2015), good WRs but no Hundley. Can Skippy Neuheisel's son, Rosen, or Ashanti Woodward lead them to decently on O? That's the big question.

On D, their DL is the biggest trouble spot due to the graduation of the guy with the African name and Ellis McCarthy leaving early for the NFL. They are pretty thin there though Kenny Clark and Eddie Vanderdoes are good front line starters.

The game this year is @USC and if USC can largely get through the year without injuries depleting their still shaky depth due to sanctions, I think they'll win.
  • Options
    CPA_DawgCPA_Dawg Member Posts: 29
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Testing 1
    Someone in this thread sounds defensive and butt hurt...everyone knows UCLA is a great school and location but will always be the stepchild in LA. I hope Sark and Mora stay put for at least 4 more years, doubtful I know but neither Mora or Sark have not won shit.

Ucla is where all-America's go to become soft.
  • Options
    Starter is 99.81% likely Rosen at QB. Skippy jr is a walk-on caliber talent. He has moxy, but an Ivy League arm and athleticism. Can't start him. Woulard is our Troy Williams.

The offense should really be able to run the ball well and keep pressure off Rosen. I expect our OL to be a strength, talented, experienced and deep. Paul Perkins led the league in total yards and YPC last year. Nate Starks showed glimpses of promise as a true freshmen and they also add the #1 HS running back in the country, Soso Jamabo.

DL is a touch thin. McCarthy was always a non-factor for us, always injured and out of shape. Excited about Tak McKinley Replacing Owa. Excited about Tom Bradley taking over as DC. Replacing Kendricks will be the biggest challenge, but I like Kenny Young.

If Rosen and Kenny Young provide just decent replacements I think UCLA will win the south. I expect somewhere between 10-2 and 8-4 regular season.
  • Options

UCLA has developed individual player talent very well under Mora. The weakness of the program is largely schematic and game management. I know the jealously is real with other P12 fans of the LA schools, but I think there is still upside for Mora at UCLA. More talent more depth and the program has the OL pipeline finally rolling after three years of predominantly first and second year starters on the OL.

If Peterson manages a 10-3 year in either of the next two years, we know 81% of this board will be lining up to give him HJs, and won't call it underacheiving. Bias much?
    Citation needed.

I see a lot of guys who are good coming in but not getting better the longer they stay (exception: Zumwalt)
  • Options

Starter is 99.81% likely Rosen at QB. Skippy jr is a walk-on caliber talent. He has moxy, but an Ivy League arm and athleticism. Can't start him. Woulard is our Troy Williams.

The offense should really be able to run the ball well and keep pressure off Rosen. I expect our OL to be a strength, talented, experienced and deep. Paul Perkins led the league in total yards and YPC last year. Nate Starks showed glimpses of promise as a true freshmen and they also add the #1 HS running back in the country, Soso Jamabo.

DL is a touch thin. McCarthy was always a non-factor for us, always injured and out of shape. Excited about Tak McKinley Replacing Owa. Excited about Tom Bradley taking over as DC. Replacing Kendricks will be the biggest challenge, but I like Kenny Young.

If Rosen and Kenny Young provide just decent replacements I think UCLA will win the south. I expect somewhere between 10-2 and 8-4 regular season.

Beat Texas on the road then pop off.

#TeamJerry
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Citation needed.

I see a lot of guys who are good coming in but not getting better the longer they stay (exception: Zumwalt)
    Jonathan Franklin & Paul Perkins - 3star Corners turned in two of the 3 best individual rushing seasons in UCLA history
    Anthony Barr - failed TE, turned top10 pick at LB in two years
    Kendricks - 3 star LB turned Butkus winner
    Datone Jones - just an okay player turned first round pick in one year
    Su'a Filo - turned into an all-America and top 40 pick after returning from his Mormon mission

Shaq Evans, Jeff Baca Cassius Marsh and Joe Fauria would fit that Zummwalt mold as well. Jordan Payton and Duarte have steadily improved. Owa improved. Kenny Clark has developed from a good recruit into likely an early entrant and first rounder next year.

It's not categorically excellent, there's some busts (McCarthy Priest Willis etc), and guys who have not developed as hoped (Hundley). But all told I think individual player development is pretty good at UCLA. The exception I see is secondary, I know you guys didnt like Demetrice Martin and I am starting to see why.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Was John Robinson a 'great' coach? Was Jim Tressel? I wouldn't say they were. You're comeback probably would point to rosebowls or win pct or nattys (ILTCNCN), and my response would be 'exactly': Average coaches leveraging those programs huge natural advantages and elite results unfold.

Maybe average is too strong a word, 'good' is more appropriate. I just think there are ~15-25 coaches out there who could turn SC into a top 5 program. There aren't 25 great coaches in CFB. This isn't youth league soccer where everyone is great. You dont need a 'great' coach to dominate the p12 and be in the mix nationally at USC. SC is just really bad at hiring coaches. Ditto for UCLA basketball.
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Strong is the Bruin butthurt.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,349
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tressel is certainly a great coach. Robbie didn't crash McKay s car. He was great his first time and a good nfl coach
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    A good comparison for UCLA this year is probably this team:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_USC_Trojans_football_team
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,038
    Founders Club

USC has not been a juggernaut under average coaches. They have dominated under McKay, Robinson 1, and Carroll.

Larry Smith won the Pac 3 times in a row but struggled in the rose Bowl and got fired for being somewhat mediocre by high Trojan standards.

Guys like Hackett, Kiffin and Sark suck. USC needs a great coach to be great, same as Bama, Ohio State or Oklahoma. The difference at those schools is that when they do get a great coach they really excel. They dominate.

UCLA is a riddle wrapped inside an enigma behind a lace curtain.

Don't forget Howard Jones.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,905
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Kim has a new catchphrase for Mora that he has been pedaling around doogman. We've moved beyond "the implosion" and now the players are "tuning him out" because they know he's "using back channels" to get another job

Tuning Out
    Back Channels
    Tuning Out
    Back Channels
    Tuning Out
    Back Channels
    Tuning Out
    Back Channels