Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What ISIS Really Wants

13»

Comments

• Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,119
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Doogles said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Doogles said:

After reading this, I am convinced that al-Qaeda is still a bigger threat to America.

But if these ISIS dicks wanna dig in and put up a flag, I say we bomb them back to the stone age that they so desperately crave.

In my ignorant view, let's satisfy all the people that say we mettle too much in worldly affairs and sit this one out for a time. Let France, UK, surrounding middle eastern countries in imminent danger to be invaded handle their own shit. Or, as we like to say, LIPO.

You clearly aren't aware of the fact that history has a tendency to repeat itself in one form or another.

The last even remotely comparable threat that I can think of that has any kind of similar elements is the rise of Hitler to power in Germany in 1933.

The position of Europe was to stand back, try to negotiate, tell Hitler he was a bad person and that he needed a timeout. Hitler smiled, said ok, and then invaded all of them.

The US position at the time was to stay out of it because it wasn't their fight. They only got involved when they had to.

If you don't realize how close Germany was to taking out all of Europe, then I don't know what to tell you. They were an air battle victory away from being able to conquer England in what was a massive upset in the grand scheme of things. They ran into the worst Russian winter since Napoleon tried to invade Russia during their invasion attempt. If you don't think that Hitler wouldn't have used an A-Bomb had he had the ability to do so in 1940 or the winter of 1941/1942, then you have your head in the sand. And don't forget in that situation, that while he had the leading German scientists working on such a bomb, the scientists also did a good job of sabotaging their own work and finding ways to delay their production so that it wasn't available to be used.

In particular the last part, you will not have that type of reality in place when it comes to ISIS.
    I'm not going to throw a Godwin's law penalty flag but consider this a sideline warning.

I think the point you are trying to make is Hitler DNGAF and ISIS DNGAF.

Other than that, I'll have to drop the hanky and send it up to the replay booth which needs conclusive evidence to overturn the call on the field.
    Exactly.

Hitler laughed at those that thought that words would slow him down. ISIS clearly has made it clear that they will not negotiate.

Who knows what the ISIS end game is.

We know what Hitler did. We can look back at history and realize that there were a few concrete events that could have changed the course of history in the other direction. Our policy of staying out of the fray (prior to Pearl Harbor) could have come back and bit us in the ass very easily.

The lesson from that is to not wait for things to completely go off the track before getting involved and squashing something that you can see coming with an at minimum 81% of certainty. Be proactive instead of reactive.
    Yeah, but we really suck at occupation. I rather have a predictable enemy in power who murders terrorists as a byproduct of its insanity than some other organization that utilizes the modern world in dangerous ways.

I guess my fear is, we blast ISIS, botch the rebuild, leave, and some other group rises from the ashes just as militant, but evolved and focused back on the west.
    That's why I think we contain them and force their neighbors to prove the credibility of their own religion on a global stage. I'm sorry but if the purist form of your religion is ISIS, you don't deserve respect.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,894
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited February 2015
    Doogles said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Doogles said:

After reading this, I am convinced that al-Qaeda is still a bigger threat to America.

But if these ISIS dicks wanna dig in and put up a flag, I say we bomb them back to the stone age that they so desperately crave.

In my ignorant view, let's satisfy all the people that say we mettle too much in worldly affairs and sit this one out for a time. Let France, UK, surrounding middle eastern countries in imminent danger to be invaded handle their own shit. Or, as we like to say, LIPO.

You clearly aren't aware of the fact that history has a tendency to repeat itself in one form or another.

The last even remotely comparable threat that I can think of that has any kind of similar elements is the rise of Hitler to power in Germany in 1933.

The position of Europe was to stand back, try to negotiate, tell Hitler he was a bad person and that he needed a timeout. Hitler smiled, said ok, and then invaded all of them.

The US position at the time was to stay out of it because it wasn't their fight. They only got involved when they had to.

If you don't realize how close Germany was to taking out all of Europe, then I don't know what to tell you. They were an air battle victory away from being able to conquer England in what was a massive upset in the grand scheme of things. They ran into the worst Russian winter since Napoleon tried to invade Russia during their invasion attempt. If you don't think that Hitler wouldn't have used an A-Bomb had he had the ability to do so in 1940 or the winter of 1941/1942, then you have your head in the sand. And don't forget in that situation, that while he had the leading German scientists working on such a bomb, the scientists also did a good job of sabotaging their own work and finding ways to delay their production so that it wasn't available to be used.

In particular the last part, you will not have that type of reality in place when it comes to ISIS.
    I'm not going to throw a Godwin's law penalty flag but consider this a sideline warning.

I think the point you are trying to make is Hitler DNGAF and ISIS DNGAF.

Other than that, I'll have to drop the hanky and send it up to the replay booth which needs conclusive evidence to overturn the call on the field.
    Exactly.

Hitler laughed at those that thought that words would slow him down. ISIS clearly has made it clear that they will not negotiate.

Who knows what the ISIS end game is.

We know what Hitler did. We can look back at history and realize that there were a few concrete events that could have changed the course of history in the other direction. Our policy of staying out of the fray (prior to Pearl Harbor) could have come back and bit us in the ass very easily.

The lesson from that is to not wait for things to completely go off the track before getting involved and squashing something that you can see coming with an at minimum 81% of certainty. Be proactive instead of reactive.
    Yeah, but we really suck at occupation. I rather have a predictable enemy in power who murders terrorists as a byproduct of its insanity than some other organization that utilizes the modern world in dangerous ways.

I guess my fear is, we blast ISIS, botch the rebuild, leave, and some other group rises from the ashes just as militant, but evolved and focused back on the west.
    USA! USA! USA! - really good at invading and kicking ass. See also Desert Storm, D-Day, Sicily, Inchon, etc. Even the old boys back in the Revolutionary War days - awesome ambush fighters, sucky at prolonged campaigns.

Not so good at occupying -Japan and Germany were decent efforts but Uncle Joe Stalin took most of the turf in that war and the Eastern block ended up with Katarina Witt eventually. Fucking commies. Nice tits though. Korea - still occupied but still fucked up. Vietnam - bad.

Thank god for Hasselhoff tearing down the Berlin Wall.

http://www.best-topmodel.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Katarina-Witt.jpgbest-topmodel.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Katarina-Witt.jpg
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    People always forget that the Byzantines always called themselves Romans, and that that was whom the first Muslims came into contact with in the 630s in Syria. Hence the whole Dabiq thing.

Obama really needs to stop saying that ISIS isn't Islamic, because first he's not an Islamic scholar, and second religion is defined by the practice of its adherents.
  • Options

Read this TL;DR (actually did read) artcile yesterday (link at bottom); it is the best piece I have read on ISIS and really explained a lot and also talks about how the US has fucked up in the past year or so in figuring out what ISIS is all about.

TL;DR cliffnote version of article:

-ISIS IS Islamic. Basically they want to go back to medieval Islamic times and are living as such.
    -Their leader has only really talked one time in public, when he declared himself the Caliphate last summer. Basically, every Muslim is supposed to follow him and he is the commander of all Muslims (Or should be according to Islamic law). THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of Muslims have left their lives behind to go live under his rule and territory.
    -ISIS NEEDS territory, if they don't have territory it will crumble because the Caliphate will become illegitimate.
    -ISIS and their followers, in accordance with Islamic laws and such can not be involved in political processes as their is only one true God. So don't bother trying to get them to negotiate.
    -Basically peace is impossible for them because if they aren't trying to expand their territory the Caliphate is illegitimate in their eyes.
    -Genocide is required. Basically they want everyone that isn't them to be murdered or to be enslaved. Christians would become slaves as long as they pay a tax to them; if they deny the tax they will be beheaded or crucified.
    -They are surrounded by Muslims, but ISIS considers most of those Muslims to be living in sin and wants them dead.
    -The big one is that they truly believe they are the ones who will play a part in the upcoming Apocalypse. They are bringing those events into motion with everything they do.
    -When they beheaded the American Aid worker last year they did so at the grounds (Dabiq an area in Syria) they believe will be the important war between them and "Rome". The reason they always mention Rome is because that is who the Koran says will be the enemy (although Rome can now just be the West).
    -ISIS hates Al-Qaeda because they haven't pledged to the Caliphate.
    -Beheading, slavery, crucifixion, amputation (for stealing and what not) are all very acceptable to these people; and in fact they are required.

You should read the article, some pretty crazy shit in there. I hope our leaders read it, because clearly they don't understand what ISIS is all about.

theatlantic.com/features/archive/2015/02/what-isis-really-wants/384980/

But how is Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi a bad Caliph?
    He just needs more time. Inshallah.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,130
    Founders Club

according to Dick Morris ISIS is making $5 million a day in oil revenue from their oil fields in Northern Iraq that they took over last year. Add that up over another 1-2 years and that's quite an asset.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Excellent

The thirst for dead jihadis is strong in this thread. Everything is coming together just as I have foreseen

Why don't you go make this your avatar already?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

according to Dick Morris ISIS is making $5 million a day in oil revenue from their oil fields in Northern Iraq that they took over last year. Add that up over another 1-2 years and that's quite an asset.
    Who the fuck is buying oil from ISIS?

There's no way the world's oil supplies are so slim that we can't get by without Northern Iraqi oil.

Anyone purchasing their oil should be sent to live in the caliphate.
  • Options
    dnc said:

Who the fuck is buying oil from ISIS?

There's no way the world's oil supplies are so slim that we can't get by without Northern Iraqi oil.

Anyone purchasing their oil should be sent to live in the caliphate.
    There's a black market for oil that exits through Turkey, not sure about the rest of it though. That's one reason that I'd be suspicious of any claims that they're making bank on oil sales, who's the buyer?
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,547
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Middle East should have been turned into an Aladdin themed Disney resort years ago.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325

How the fuck are they delivering that oil to market? And who is buying from them?

Cutting that resource off seems like it should be priority number one for starving those fucks out.
  • Options
    Founders Club

How the fuck are they delivering that oil to market? And who is buying from them?

Cutting that resource off seems like it should be priority number one for starving those fucks out.
    It is Morris's contention that if we stop being PC and go bomb those oil fields right now, we would end ISIS's funding and basically destroy their power base.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325

It is Morris's contention that if we stop being PC and go bomb those oil fields right now, we would end ISIS's funding and basically destroy their power base.
    But what if we can kill them all AND take the oil???
  • Options
    edited February 2015

If they're really making $5 million a day off it, absofuckinglutely.

That seems really really unlikely to me though. Sounds like the kind of claim someone makes when they've already concluded they want us to bomb the fuck out of them and are trying to look for a way to convince everybody else we should be on bored.

I'd love to see some documentation. If that's legit, they're making nearly $2 billion per year. That's terrifying.

• Options
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

That seems really really unlikely to me though. Sounds like the kind of claim someone makes when they've already concluded they want us to bomb the fuck out of them and are trying to look for a way to convince everybody else we should be on bored.

I'd love to see some documentation. If that's legit, they're making nearly $2 billion per year. That's terrifying.

I watched it again, and Morris said $5 million a day, then immediately corrected himself and said $500,000 a day. My bad.

He did not offer what source he got that number from,
  • Options

dnc said:

I watched it again, and Morris said $5 million a day, then immediately corrected himself and said $500,000 a day. My bad.

He did not offer what source he got that number from,
    That's still scary, but much less so. Much more believable too.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter

Read this TL;DR (actually did read) artcile yesterday (link at bottom); it is the best piece I have read on ISIS and really explained a lot and also talks about how the US has fucked up in the past year or so in figuring out what ISIS is all about.

-ISIS IS Islamic. Basically they want to go back to medieval Islamic times and are living as such.
    -Their leader has only really talked one time in public, when he declared himself the Caliphate last summer. Basically, every Muslim is supposed to follow him and he is the commander of all Muslims (Or should be according to Islamic law). THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of Muslims have left their lives behind to go live under his rule and territory.
    -ISIS NEEDS territory, if they don't have territory it will crumble because the Caliphate will become illegitimate.
    -ISIS and their followers, in accordance with Islamic laws and such can not be involved in political processes as their is only one true God. So don't bother trying to get them to negotiate.
    -Basically peace is impossible for them because if they aren't trying to expand their territory the Caliphate is illegitimate in their eyes.
    -Genocide is required. Basically they want everyone that isn't them to be murdered or to be enslaved. Christians would become slaves as long as they pay a tax to them; if they deny the tax they will be beheaded or crucified.
    -They are surrounded by Muslims, but ISIS considers most of those Muslims to be living in sin and wants them dead.
    -The big one is that they truly believe they are the ones who will play a part in the upcoming Apocalypse. They are bringing those events into motion with everything they do.
    -When they beheaded the American Aid worker last year they did so at the grounds (Dabiq an area in Syria) they believe will be the important war between them and "Rome". The reason they always mention Rome is because that is who the Koran says will be the enemy (although Rome can now just be the West).
    -Beheading, slavery, crucifixion, amputation (for stealing and what not) are all very acceptable to these people; and in fact they are required.

You should read the article, some pretty crazy shit in there. I hope our leaders read it, because clearly they don't understand what ISIS is all about.

under chinned poast
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

under chinned poast
    gRuNdLe STOP!!!!!!!!!