Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Just throwing this out there as a potential talking point

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,420 Founders Club

Is there any concern that Fisch hired his OC (Carroll) and DC (Belichick) based primarily on their last names, and that he wouldn't have hired them otherwise had their surname been Schloberknocker? Or are these the two best individuals we could have gotten for the jobs?

Comments

• whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,605 Standard Supporter

I thought we always said that blaming coordinators is the same as blaming the coach. You might get 1 mulligan, but it's the head coach which matters.

As PGOS said this dude has evidence. If we look back at CFB coaching results in the past 15 years, taking Arizona to 10 wins (4th best Arizona final poll ranking alltime, T2 in Arizona wins in a season alltime) in the time he did with what he had to start with has to rank in the top 5? 10? of coaching jobs. Saban, Dabo, Smart, their multiple natties top the list, but that was a hell of a turnaround.

• LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member Posts: 13,302
    edited August 22

Losing coaches to the NFL should never be something to regret, hard to stop that, but keeping our interior OL this team might have put UW into dark horse conversation, such is life. Are we(?) worse than 2023? I think we have the same ceiling if the dominos fall as miraculously.

• BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,163

I think the lack of interior defensive lineman is going to be a problem in the B1G that gets exposed Oct/Nov that normally wouldn't be much of a concern in the PAC. There's not much proven talent in that position group.

• theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,797 Founders Club

Fish also worked with both Carrol and Belichick in the NFL. He’s got a baseline knowledge of their coaching chops and deemed them valuable enough to offer jobs to. Did their famous fathers help? Maybe, but as has been said, it all starts and stops with Fish. Fish is the OC, BC is there as a trusted coach/sounding board and to run the OL not to call plays.

• TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,811 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 22

Schloberknocker of the Coney Island Schloberknockers?

• haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,506 Swaye's Wigwam

I was kind of ready for Huff to leave. Good recruiter but wasn't going to prevent your OL from sucking, and wasn't going to be the reason it was great. The recruiting/talent evaluation could easily be replaced and his lines always felt really finesse. The fact that even the Joe Moore's couldn't just road grade shitty Pac teams the last 2 years was a problem.

• PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,500 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 22

This is a decent point. This team should've been able to run over opponents no matter who was at RB.

Like, beat ASU by 14+ without throwing a forward pass, at home.

They were a lot more physical under DeBoer, especially against Oregon. But man did Michigan abuse them

• WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,271 Swaye's Wigwam

The OL really struggling to ever just road grade is a great point. I assume a big part of it could be the byproduct of so much emphasis on long pass protection. It's one of the reasons they one of the worst good teams ever at putting games away. They could never just keep it on the ground and choke out a game.

It's written in stone though that ASU has to have 6'0 275 pound DTs that just destroy the Husky interior OL.

Come to think of it, the OL and TEs should have been way better against the edges against Michigan. The Michigan DL was exceptional inside but their edges were nothing special but really felt like UW did nothing there.

• PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,500 Swaye's Wigwam

You have hated Huff since the tea leaves revealed the future in 2017...B.C. to your credit

• WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,271 Swaye's Wigwam

Huff to me just seems like a career assistant whose coaching and recruiting mostly just went with the head coach.

Under Petersen he recruited mid to low 4 star OKG types and the OL was above average and lacked dominance.

Under Lake he recruited almost no one and it was one of the worst OL's in program history.

Under DeBoer he recruited 3 stars with high potential and the OL was great at pass blocking but weren't road graders, ever.

I think my Huff thing was if he could have stayed under Fisch, limiting the bleeding on the OL and possibly Rosengarten comes back.

• TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,811 Swaye's Wigwam

Teams with mauler OLs seem to have matching defenses. Shrinks the game and makes it hard for other teams to come back. (Michigan last year)

Teams with finesse OLs seems to have matching defenses. Lengthens the game and makes it easier for other teams to come back. (UW last year)

Call it whatever you want, but the DeBoer/Grubb offense wasn’t a mauler offense. It was perfect for the PAC-12, and could have dominated for years imho.

Just not built to maul. And if we’re being honest, there aren’t many teams that are anymore.

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,420 Founders Club