Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

What is you risk tolerance level for unsanitary summer BBQs?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,019 Founders Club

What is you risk tolerance level for unsanitary summer BBQs? 14 votes

I love eating Schumer burgers and DGAF about salmonella and E. coli !!
7%
pawz 1 vote
I can deal with a little pink, but hate raw burgers/chicken and contaminated spatulas and/or tongs
71%
CFetters_Nacho_LoverwhlinderMad_SonhuskyhooliganLebamDawgYellowSnowEl_KBleachedAnusDawgJoeyhouseofpain247 10 votes
I require well done burgers, chicken, sausages, etc, with surgical room level sanitation
21%
chuckhaieCougzz 3 votes

Comments

• chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,945 Swaye's Wigwam
    I require well done burgers, chicken, sausages, etc, with surgical room level sanitation

I don't mind a little pink in a burger, but my chicken and sausages get well done.

What I am fussy about are countertops, utensils and hands. Cross contamination of condiments or flipping/plating cooked meat with the same utensils you handled it with raw kills my appetite instantly. If I see someone bring a tray of raw patties to the grill then set the tray aside to collect them once cooked, I'll try to sneak in and go wash the tray. If I can't I just won't eat them.

• PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,664 Standard Supporter

Bloody chicken will make me chunk.

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,019 Founders Club
    edited August 13
    I can deal with a little pink, but hate raw burgers/chicken and contaminated spatulas and/or tongs

I don't know if I just didn't encounter in earlier in life, but the more we make friends down here and get invited over to various summer BBQ's I've been horrified at the sheer incompetence. Dudes throwing frozen Costco burger on the grill and taking them off with the middle still raw as fuck, doing smash burgers on raw ass meat and not heat treating the spatula afterwards (or getting a new one), putting cooked paddies back in the same tray that the raw ones came out on. It's so fucking nartsy.

Fucking Schumer Burger Man!

I hate trying to tell another man how to run a clean grill, but I've had "volunteer" to help out while they are getting more supplies or taking a piss break. While this is happening I right the shit and get things fixed.

• JoeyJoey Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,572 Founders Club

It’s shocking how easy BBQing is and how terrible people are at it

How hard is it flip fucking hamburgers and not contaminate plates and cooking utensils? But so many people fuck it up. I'm baffled.

• LebamDawgLebamDawg Member Posts: 8,667 Standard Supporter

everyone forgot to mention the clean spatula that no one saw the dog lick or the guys that haven't clean off the grilling surface for the past two years.

I burn my grill clean, scrub it, spray it (I found a food grade spray cleaner), all that crap but not in any particular order. I do what is required. I also try to scrape off the surfaces before stuff gets baked on.

I ate Mabel’s trailer park wings once and didn’t get sick!!

• 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,539 Swaye's Wigwam

So you use a metal spatula to shove a piece of meat on a grill, the grill is over 600 degrees according to the thermometer on the lid, you use that same spatula to flip the now 600 degree burger over, then that same spatula to scoop finished burger onto tray. And the theory is that bacteria still on the spatula from initial meat placement is still alive after several encounters with those burgers and that grill?

There's a reason we use a spatula to do that job instead of our hands: It's really fucking hot in a BBQ. Hotter than bacteria can survive. You sanitize the spatula/tongs/skewers every time you stick them in the grill.

The lettuce you rinse in cold water in the sink before putting on your burger is ten times more likely to give you the shits. Your computer keyboard a hundred times more likely.

• JoeyJoey Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,572 Founders Club

Hank Hill always had sound BBQ advice…

Three flips on the burger

Every steak is cooked medium rare. If someone wants theirs well done we politely ask them to leave.

• LebamDawgLebamDawg Member Posts: 8,667 Standard Supporter

alcohol helps to kill nasty stuff

• PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,664 Standard Supporter
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,612 Standard Supporter

BBQ? That sounds like a cookout.

And if you invite me over and run a cookout but don't have some basic competency of properly cooking the food and preventing obvious contamination then we can't be friends.

Sorry, boss. I used "bbq" in the sense of shitty, summer cook out, not the literal BBQ sense.

edited August 14

Whoa there, pod. Let's clean a few things up…

1- No one is running grill temps of 600 degrees. That's major grease file territory. My Weber is like 350 give or take when I'm cooking burgers and dogs.

2- If you contaminated the spatula with raw burger paddies, going in for a quick flip isn't sanitizing shit. It has to be under some heat for like 20 or 30 seconds to do the tick. I usually put the spatula under a closed grill for a bit to do the tick. With tongs I shove them down there by the flame.

• 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,539 Swaye's Wigwam

The grease fire helps get you that desirable sear…

I suggest a test: Get your hand in there and give the burger a quick flip with your hand. See how that works out for you. Whatever happens to the skin cells on your hands is what happens to the bacterial cells every time your utensil/grill/whatever gets even 350°.

USDA says bacteria are killed at 165°. They recommend holding chicken at that temperature for three minutes to make sure all the bacteria are dead. That's for the center of the meat. The outside of the meat will be multiples of that temperature, which is instant kill territory.

If you click the above and scroll down quite a bit to the bottom of Appendix A, you get to the equations used to determine pasteurization time for what multiple of bacteria reduction at what meat thickness. Appendix C, is where you'll find the actual government pasteurization tables for various meats. Table C.1 lists the pasteurization time for beef, pork, and lamb as 0 seconds at just 158°F. For chicken, pasteurization time is 0 seconds at 166°F.

So unless your meat is EXTREMELY rare, transmission of bacteria from grill or utensils to cooked meat is impossible, as the cooked meat itself (let alone the environment into which you're shoving said utensil) immediately (zero seconds says the FDA) kills any bacteria that would be transferred.

Again, the lettuce on your burger is WAY WAY more likely to get you sick (unless you heat it up to >160°). So is surfing HH on your phone while taking a shit, and we all do that.

I'm starting to think that grilling is just too dangerous for you guysms, and you should probably just give me your grills. For safety.

• houseofpain247houseofpain247 Member Posts: 210

Wait, people put cooked meat back onto the same plate as the raw meat?!?!

I kind of with @1to392831weretaken in terms of dealing with the spatula or tongs, sometimes I'll wash between raw and cooked and sometimes I won't. But, getting a clean platter is an absolute necessity.

It's not an issue of internal meat temps here with the contaminated spatula or tongs. If you get raw meat contamination on the spatula and then use that thing to then remove a done burger I don't know if the meat surface temp at the time is enough to kill the bacteria. It seems some analogous to putting the cooked meat back onto a dirty tray.

The meat surface temp will be the exact same temperature as the grill at the time of meat removal. It would be impossible for it to be otherwise. Internal temps are lower, hence the mention, but surface temp is surface temp = grill temp. Unless you've got your grill turned down to below 160°, your meat will instantly sanitize your utensil. A fraction of a second at 160 does the job. E. Coli dies at 140°. The water coming out of my tap can damned near kill E. Coli.