Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Do I really need to donate to softball NIL???

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,299
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I have a dream that someday college athletes will only be compensated based on the "fair market" value of their "name, image or likeness" as it relates to selling and/or promoting a particular company's products or services.

• Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,844
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I've been screaming this for years and didn't seem hard to make happen. It's always been that college football and basketball was generally a really good deal for 99% of the players and it was just the small fraction of stars like Tebow types or for UW a Reggie Williams/Tui/Locker type who wasn't getting paid their value. There's no reason they couldn't do things the way they are for the new NCAA Football game either for the non star players.

• Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,432
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

I have a hard time believing very many “student athletes” in non-revenue-making sports will reap big NIL paydays.

Wouldn’t surprise me if most of these softball chicks come back to UW with their tails between their legs.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,618
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Oregon is already being sued over football players getting bigger NIL deals than women

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I think there were a few gymnasts who were making good chunks in NIL but I think they were like Olympic athletes and they were hot. You'd see some rare Caitlin Clarks and some Olympic athlete types and hot women. That's it.

• Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,432
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

Would think men’s tennis, golf, baseball, tiddley winks, and the like, would want to get together with the women playing handout sports and join the lawsuits.

• Options
    houseofpain247houseofpain247 Member Posts: 158
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Standard Supporter

can't wait for the feminists to turn against the Olivia Dunne's and the Cavinder twins and villify them for objectifying other women. It's unfair that the hot girls are getting more money than the non-hots.

I know, I know, TITTT

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

That's the whole fucking point - no one (except in the rarest of circumstances-e.g., Tebow) was being exploited as college athlete. If you are deserving of earning a living by playing sports then you should be able to have a career as professional. College aren't set up to run pro sports team.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Tittt but most of the media clamor about paying players isn't for the vast majority of players nor do they care about college football.

A scholarship is a sweet deal and now players have luxury hookers and blow centers

If they are good enough to go pro it's great training

Yes there are downsides. Welcome to the real world

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

It was always pretty easy to me to get the players properly compensated without having to blow things up as much. As you said, players are open to any kind of actual NIL opportunities in the true nature of what that means. Guys like Tebow, Manziel, then down the line would have made nice chunks. Some other guys make some cash here and there and a guy like that pro skier Colorado returner guy who I think got kicked out of college sports for his sponsorships was fine. For something like the NCAA Football game you just have EA pay a figure and chop it up the way they are now and guys can opt out.

Just have the NCAA review the deals. If fucking Evil Phil wants to bag someone they have to be in an actual Nike endorsement. Same with Amazon for UW, etc. Not that hard.

If someone doesn't want any rules or guardrails I don't think there are any rules against playing in the CFL or whatever Arena League/XFL of the moment and asking for as much money as they'll give. But also overall there's very few well paying jobs, especially right when you start which aren't going to expect you to go to school AND PAY to go to school.

The media people and the political people who clamored about that shit for the most part never cared about college sports, just saw it as a flavor of the moment, never looked into it beyond what they were fed by their bubbles, and moved onto something else.

• Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,207
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

they should just follow Harrison’s advice and go birth my child and make me a sandwich.

• Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,207
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

Then tell the un-hots to take out a huge loan to reconstruct their ugly and then they can pay it back with all of their new hot nil money. Or just stop being fugly.

Problem solved.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Imagine letting people who don't care about college football determine the fate of college football.

I need @MrsSnow to sue for some back pay. She'd be getting, at least, $50K to $100K per year in NIL collective monies now. That she wasn't good enough for the WNBA is beside the fucking point!!

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 30

“Capitalism is the worst economic system, except for all the others,” is my all time favorite fake Churchill quote.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/14/opinion/dont-quote-them-on-it.html

But it's accurate. It's the system which yields the highest standards of living, but it makes some products - college football being a prime example - worse. If Rick 1999 Neuheisel was still the top HC salary ($1M in 1999 is $1.875 M today) there would be less bitching about exploitations.

• Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,202
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

If we really cared about academis we'd kill all the non revenue sports, and, you know, fund science and engineering programs.

• Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,202
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Also, speaking of donations, how do I get my I'm tired of you guys fact checking me beer glass?

• Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,375
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter

A scholarship is a sweet deal IF you actually use it for education. If you roll up to the university and put all your time and effort into your sport but don't take advantage of the educational side, just staying eligible, what are you really getting?

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

You're getting paid to hone your craft

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

@MrsSnow has the highest earnings relative to college cost ($.00) of any of my peers.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Another simple solution - ditch the farce of the academis - you're there studying football or whatever your sport is. Just like almost any job, you're honing your craft and the nice thing here is you're doing it for free. Maybe throw in some of the education being how to become a coach or sports management type classes since the vast majority won't be going pro in sports. How much more limited or ridiculous is it to get a degree in football over say almost anything in the arts or a lot of these degrees where the only job you can get is teaching it?