Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

UW was 2 plays away from possibly winning a national title

Comments

• Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,055
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Two 11 point plays away!

• Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,283
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter

I haven't decided if I will ever watch it.

But I will forever believe our travel scheduling and cheapness was a partial cause of the team playing so off.

• Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,533
    Swaye's Wigwam

It's one of the things about way football and sports can play out they somehow lost to Michigan by more than they lost to Alabama in that game but it really seemed with UW's O against Bama's D it was simply hopeless and they were gonna need a completely broken/lucky play or a defensive score to make a play after the first drive. I never felt that way against Michigan. Felt like they had plays there and just couldn't connect the dots. I also felt that if UW could have even just tied it up and put an ounce of pressure on Michigan's offense that UW easily could have taken control of the game and loosened things up. Basically once guys stopped running in the wrong direction Michigan's offense could do almost nothing and I think they were trying.

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,494
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

If UW ties it up then JJ has to live up to his bullshit draft position and he probably shits himself. We? actually took advantage of Michigan's one major weakness after the first quarter.

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Michigan never needed to open it up … when they did in the 4th they completely shifted the field and ended the game

It’s a chicken and egg argument

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,384
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

This is accurate and why what ifs are what they are

Nobody has more what ifs than Oregon against UW

Scoreboard baby

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Jesus christ, can we just make a new sub forum where Hypnofag can just write novellas and respond to them himself over and over? Because he clearly can't follow anything when someone other than himself is posting. Vanilla? Devs?

• Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,523
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter

2 plays is kind of silly. Our DL wasn't NC caliber and neither were the LBs. Dillon Johnson getting a high ankle sprain on the 1st play of the game didn't help either.

On the other hand, Michigan was a complete team and those two plays would have helped but UW would have lost anyway….just in a closer game.

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,518
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

If UW ties the game at 20 at any point prior to the defense being gassed I think it's a coin-flip finish. UW offense needed the confidence that the offense could match scores, but not while being down 2+ scores.

• Options
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 5

A one score deficit in the 4th quarter isn't the same as one of the many take-your-pick true ass kickings of the Playoff era championships and semifinals. TCU, Cincinnati, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Michigan State, Oregon, Michigan's first try..

If UW ties it up with their 4+ chances to do so then things get really tight for Michigan. That isn't even dooging. Too bad Penix fucked that game away.

• Options

UW had plenty of opportunities to change the tide of the game vs Michigan … they didn’t do it

It’s also to fair to say UW didn’t bring their A game offensively …

The problem with the Doog logic of IF this or IF that is that it fails to give any credit to the opposition and what they did well

If you really go back and watch that game and/or remember what you saw LIVE and IN PERSON what you realize is that UW needed to play a very high end offensive game against Michigan in much the same way that they needed to do so against Texas.

Was it possible? Clearly UW had that capability

But it’s also asking a lot of a team to double up elite performances in back to back games given the travel, pomp, and circumstances surrounding those games.

It’s ok to be both appreciative of UW’s season while also acknowledging that the more complete team won the final game

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Jesus Christ.

You mean like this kind of LIVE and IN PERSON?

If you're only down by a touchdown in the 4th and get 4 stops in a row (not to mention the ball to start the 2nd half) and have one of if not the best offense in college football, you get to say IF.

Against Texas and Oregon we got up by fucking 10 with just minutes left and properly bled out the game. They don't get to say IF.

Not once have I even disparaged Michigan, beyond that their Puyallup Fair caramel popcorn selling looking motherfucking QB never had to bail them out, and if he would have in a tie game, shit would have gotten real for them.

• Options

IF IF IF

UW had plenty of chances to get the game tied up … they never succeeded in doing so

I recommend going back and reading what Uncle Race said … if him and I are aligned on a viewpoint then that’s saying something

Congrats on being at the game …

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Thank god you were on the opposite end of the field. I don't think I could take having to listen to their truck stop fans gloat AND your Seattle blowhard ass.

• Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,337
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

Michigan can play the IF game too. That’s the problem with that game and why it’s silly to play in the first place.

• Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,533
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 5

I'm generally a believer in that but what are their ifs? Penix doesn't ignore three wide open guys and instead throws it over McMillan's head to a guy covering no one or he ignores Odunze for an easy first and throws some weird jump ball to Tybo that somehow stays in play and gets picked?

I'm not trying to be a doog I really just can't think of another Husky loss and credit to them for playing very well. That's part of it. I mean Uw had a game flipping play called back on a hold, Michigan gets the ball back, has a more clear hold (I'm conceding it's most likely the wefs just didn't have a view on it) and it saves a play which flips the game for them.