Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Mariners offseason prediction is in.

12346»

Comments

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,629
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2023
    HFNY said:

I'd do that but ownership like France because he's cheap. How much more do they have to spend? Kepler is due $10 million and a pillow contract for Hoskins would likely run another $10 million.

I actually think they're willing to spend that much. Kepler is a net increase of about $4 over France. They spent $12 on Garver, add $4 for Kepler, and say $15 for one of those other guys. That's $31. I've heard they were willing to add $35 after the salary dump. That leaves a little bit for pitching or whatever.

I'd be pretty damn happy with that offseason really, which is why it won't happen.

I think this is really possible. France doesn't really fit with Garver and one of Hoskins/Soler. If they aren't willing to trade him they'd have to give up pitching to get an outfielder and a second upgrade bat. Why trade pitching if you don't have to?
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,524
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    chuck said:

HFNY said:

I'd do that but ownership like France because he's cheap. How much more do they have to spend? Kepler is due $10 million and a pillow contract for Hoskins would likely run another $10 million.

I actually think they're willing to spend that much. Kepler is a net increase of about $4 over France. They spent $12 on Garver, add $4 for Kepler, and say $15 for one of those other guys. That's $31. I've heard they were willing to add $35 after the salary dump. That leaves a little bit for pitching or whatever.

I'd be pretty damn happy with that offseason really, which is why it won't happen.
    Thanks, I didn't know that France was making $6 million in 2024.

I chuckled at your last sentence.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HFNY said:

chuck said:

HFNY said:

Thanks, I didn't know that France was making $6 million in 2024.

I chuckled at your last sentence.
    That's a guess on France's arbitration salary. Might be $7mil.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,524
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Does baseball need a hard cap as well as a spending floor?
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,256
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    HFNY said:

The bare- minimum for 2024 is $19.24M…the A’s were a tick over double that last year.

I think that you’re gonna see a cap, sooner than later. The proliferation of “fuck you” money is flexing right now, and guysm want to win…
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,527
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Fishpo31 said:

HFNY said:

The bare- minimum for 2024 is $19.24M…the A’s were a tick over double that last year.

I think that you’re gonna see a cap, sooner than later. The proliferation of “fuck you” money is flexing right now, and guysm want to win…
    You think the players will agree to a cap?
  • Options

Fishpo31 said:

HFNY said:

You think the players will agree to a cap?
    I just responded to the question of hard cap/floor…I’ve been anticipating this for a while now. The “haves” have pushed it to the limit…as for the players, I would imagine that an “adapt or die” convo is going to be had soon, if it hasn’t already. Lots of potential Oakland situations…not whether owners can afford to be competitive, but do they want to spend to be competitive?
  • Options
    Well, did NOT see this coming…Robbie Ray to the Giants for Haniger and Anthony Descalfini. Wonder if they go after Snell now…
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 5
    Fishpo31 said:

Well, did NOT see this coming…Robbie Ray to the Giants for Haniger and Anthony Descalfini. Wonder if they go after Snell now…

Holy shit. I need to read up on the details and I know fuck all about that pitcher. My first reaction is that I'm happy with it though. Ray was not helping Seattle this year, in fact all he was doing was sucking up $25mil with no guarantee he'll ever regain mid/top of rotation form.

Haniger is a good bat IF healthy and I think there's a net $$ gain for the Ms.

And Luke Raley for Caballero if the buzz is true. I'm loving this one.

Maybe I'm just starved for some Ms news.

Yes I know UW is playing for the natty and I should be dooging not mooging. I can do two things though.
  • Options
    edited January 5
    I’ve heard them sniffing around Santana…IF they get him or a comp it gets a LH bat in the mix with the France / Garver / Haniger /Canzone platoon/ DH-a-palooza…

Add to the mix…
    Sustainable
    Control
    Club friendly
    Flexibility …
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

I’ve heard them sniffing around Santana…IF they get him or a comp it gets a LH bat in the mix with the France / Garver / Haniger /Canzone platoon/ DH-a-palooza…

I heard that Raley played a fair amount of 1b last season. 20 or 30 games. That's already a lot of DH/1b/platoon candidates. I don't think Santana is in the picture now unless they're thinking about moving one of the guys you listed.

The biggest realistic upgrades I see are still at 2b/3b or IF/utility. If Moore isn't the worst player on the roster when it's all said and done then they've screwed up. To be more specific, if Haggerty is still on the roster they've screwed up.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 8
    https://x.com/Mariners/status/1743745253088297426?s=20

Luke Raley homer clips. I think it's all of them from 2023. This is one big, strong dude. Short swing and he just kills it.

I don't even have Twitter or whatever this came from so no, I don't know how to embed a tweet.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Polanco is one I kind of hoped for. I'd like to see something come along to replace Topa plus add another leverage reliever. I think this is a better team now than 2023 but part of that depends on GF getting a lot of production from three guys, Polanco, Haniger, and Garver, who don't seem likely to stay healthy all season.

• Options

Ahhh, you got me Chuck! I got burned by having to look up how to spell DesClafani…

• Options

In addition, I found it interesting that Dip is kicking the tires on Cease. They could have a dominant staff with him, or Snell, who is currently twisting in the wind, looking to cash in…

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Wouldn't that be something? I'd do Woo for Cease. I'm afraid Chicago thinks Cease is worth Woo plus. I actually think it might be the opposite, and Seattle should get more than him for Woo given the salaries, control, and the year Cease is coming off, but that's probably not reality.

• Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,484
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

https://twitter.com/marinersontap/status/1753899733851021729?s=46&t=jTmjeYWeDAtiejFr_5QtRg

24 years old, no free agency til 2029, and fuckin nasty stuff. Good arm for right now, potential future closer.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Amazing. He's filthy and just coming into his own with years of club control. They got the guy they wanted for mid prospects and he's cheap for years.