Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Your Guide to Houston That Doesn’t Suck

Comments

• Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Check out “Broken Obelisk” (1 of 4 of them worldwide) at the Rothko Chapel:

That looks photoshopped from Red Square.
  • Options
    Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,818
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    LawDawg1 said:

Check out “Broken Obelisk” (1 of 4 of them worldwide) at the Rothko Chapel:

That looks photoshopped from Red Square.

Red Square is also home to one of the four sculptures. They are identical.
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla said:

For the Houston area peeps that have actually gone to Reliant ...

I'm assuming that if you're coming from the southern end of things (think Lake Jackson area) ... that just getting a parking pass is the way to go?

Probably…for the rodeo I usually park at the south end of the train line and take the train in but not sure how great that would be for this. Coming from the South side the 288 to 610 ramp is under construction and an absolute mess…avoid it if you can.

Couple more points on the original thread…most people love Ninfa’s but I’ve never been that fond of it. It’s been a while since I’ve had them so it may not be as good now but Villa Arcos down the street from there had the best breakfast tacos around. Papacitos is the standard upscale Tex Mex but the one next to NRG and the one attached to Hilton Americas aren’t my favorite. Do love Little Papacitos on Kirby/Richmond if you are in that neck of the woods. For you @Tequilla El Toro in the LJ area is probably your best bet…eaten there way too many times.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

For the Houston area peeps that have actually gone to Reliant ...

I'm assuming that if you're coming from the southern end of things (think Lake Jackson area) ... that just getting a parking pass is the way to go?

Probably…for the rodeo I usually park at the south end of the train line and take the train in but not sure how great that would be for this. Coming from the South side the 288 to 610 ramp is under construction and an absolute mess…avoid it if you can.

Couple more points on the original thread…most people love Ninfa’s but I’ve never been that fond of it. It’s been a while since I’ve had them so it may not be as good now but Villa Arcos down the street from there had the best breakfast tacos around. Papacitos is the standard upscale Tex Mex but the one next to NRG and the one attached to Hilton Americas aren’t my favorite. Do love Little Papacitos on Kirby/Richmond if you are in that neck of the woods. For you @Tequilla El Toro in the LJ area is probably your best bet…eaten there way too many times.
    El Toro is money … I’ve also ate their way too many times
  • Options
    UwspindoctorUwspindoctor Member Posts: 59
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

All needs to be verified by @HoustonHusky or I call bullshit.

Can’t argue with most of this…big fan of Pappa’s if you are looking for a good steak. One thing though…Woodlands is fucking far. It’s a shitty drive from downtown, so if you do stay up there (I wouldn’t) then make sure you take the Hardy Toll Road. I45 is awful.

I’m staying in The Woodlands because I live there but wouldn’t recommend it from a hotel perspective just for the distance. Hardy is much nicer than the mad max experience of 45 for sure.

I’m leaning towards Ubering to downtown to hang out then taking light rail in but someone in my group might drive too. I drove to both the Final 4 and the basketball natty and it was pretty easy parking in the blue lot just south of the stadium (I just don’t want to drive on Monday because alcohol). I took an Uber to the rodeo this year and trying to get one out of NRG was a completely terrible experience so I would definitely use the light rail to get away from the stadium.

• Options
    Sobchak_SecuritySobchak_Security Member Posts: 141
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

OP, thank you so much for this :)

Does Houston have any real tourist attractions? Sorry, I am grunching

I like to walk around university campuses and hit their bookstore but thinking maybe just hang at nice airport hotel for 2-3 days

NASA 40 minutes South of town is an ok experience.

There will be a bunch of events surrounding this game I’m sure. Museum district and Rice is a nice walk and hang if that’s your thing.

As mentioned Houston is a great city to live. A bad city to visit.

• Options
    UwspindoctorUwspindoctor Member Posts: 59
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

I like to walk around university campuses and hit their bookstore but thinking maybe just hang at nice airport hotel for 2-3 days

Rice University campus is pretty close to downtown and also is near all the museums/zoo if that’s something you like to do.

• Options
    ExtraChrisBExtraChrisB Member Posts: 1,810
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Should I cancel my reservation at the Holiday Inn in Houston East? Booked it Monday night just to get something in place, but can cancel up til Saturday
  • Options

Should I cancel my reservation at the Holiday Inn in Houston East? Booked it Monday night just to get something in place, but can cancel up til Saturday

It’s a hotel, and you’ll have a bed. But everything East of town toward Channelview and Baytown is a shitty meth den. When I started out in criminal defense every other call was from a meth head in Baytown wanting to pay their $10,000 fee through $100 increments on cash app.

You won’t get killed or anything. Just not where the regular Houstonians stay or go.

• Options

Airbnb seems to be the way to go, especially if you have other people you’re staying with. My buddies and I are going to be paying $50 a night apiece for a nice place, and we’ll all have our own beds
    I echo the AirBNB sentiment. For instance you can book this house near my neighborhood for like $200/night and it’s a $20 Uber to downtown where you can take the Metro to the stadium. I actually booked this one for my parents a couple months ago.

Lots more like it. Neighborhoods like Oak Forest, West U, the Heights, Rice Military, Rice Village have lots of options. I just bring up Oak Forest because it’s safe and I can tell you how much it costs to Uber (it’s a 12 minute drive from my house to my downtown office; 30 or so to Reliant depending on traffic).

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/555221502656696766?adults=2&check_in=2024-01-06&check_out=2024-01-09&source_impression_id=p3_1704304387_e4H0cgOrOlIUYG1S&previous_page_section_name=1000&federated_search_id=5b6eba01-0781-4f90-8a6e-476ee7e412d2
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,895
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Postal91 said:

Postal91 said:

Is renting a car a necessity? My buddies are planning on ubering everywhere, but that seems like it would get stupid expensive in a huge area like Houston. I can rent a full size car through Costco for like $250 for the 4 days I’ll be there. Seems like a no brainer

Is Costco the way to go with rentals?? Never checked there. May grab one

YES! No cancellation until day of rental plus they have awesome customer service if you get screwed (*cough* Avis, Budget) by not renting through Enterprise/National/Alamo, which you can through Costco, though may be slightly more expensive than the less reliable rental companies.
    I just had someone push Turo to me. The AirBnB of car rentals. Looks like you just rent people's personal fleet cars and away you go. Intrigued by this, especially in avoiding lines.
    I’ve used Turo quite a bit. Love it for Hawaii especially because you don’t look a dumbass tourist driving a Jeep or convertible Mustang.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,895
    Founders Club
    Just looked up the location of our Airbnb. I’m on Westheimer a block away from Taft St.
  • Options

Just looked up the location of our Airbnb. I’m on Westheimer a block away from Taft St.

You're right in the middle of Montrose. I won't comment on what that means for your chances of being raped.

Lots of food and drink in walking distance. My wife likes Traveler's Table, a restaurant a block or so from you.

• Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,476
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

$50 on AirBnB for multiple rooms in nice place?

My AirBnB experience has been most places are comparable in cost to 3.5-4 star downtown hotels

I must be doing something wrong.

I noticed enormous gap in Houston prices for 4 star and 2 star hotels. In vancouver, canada, the 2-star prices go crazy many times in the summer and shoulder season

The gap in Houston seems to be $60 to $1200 (even higher)... Here if top hotels were $1200, 2 star, descent location would $225 so. Vegas is similar to around here. Get strip hotel comically cheap ($15 plus fees... Becomes $170 to $200 plus fees many weekend nights)

$200/night split 4 ways = $50 apiece.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Now that I know where you are, I’m going to have to rape you before you can rape me
    Jokes on you. Can’t rape the willing.
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,476
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Now that I know where you are, I’m going to have to rape you before you can rape me
    Jokes on you. Can’t rape the willing.
    I feel like you put your location out there just to lure me into a rape trap. Is it weird that I’m hard right now?