Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Your Guide to Houston That Doesn’t Suck

Comments

• Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,128
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    chuck said:

Can you list some good areas/neighborhoods to park & walk or park near the metro?

TYFYS

Walk?

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,895
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    And I still need tickets if anyone has access. I’ll repay you with nacho recipes.

Ticketmaster is down to $1050/ticket from $2000 yesterday.
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,476
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Red line goes down to “Reliant Park,” which is the stadium. As you can see, only decent areas on the red line are downtown and Rice/Med Center. If you’re looking for things to do, downtown is a much easier place to get to and out of, with bar options, etc. Med Center/Rice U parking situation is much more difficult but it’s “prettier” to see and walk around in.

My preference is parking around UH Downtown. Easiest place to pick up the Red Line. Lots of street parking and cheap hotel valet.

Fuck yeah, that’s perfect.
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Are there any highly recommended spots to pregame and get to the stadium easily enough from? Or should we bite the bullet and do the purple riegn tailgate
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,494
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    NEsnake12 said:

Are there any highly recommended spots to pregame and get to the stadium easily enough from? Or should we bite the bullet and do the purple riegn tailgate

Buddy that is from there basically said the Rice area is where he'd go.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,922
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

Also as a Clemson guy I developed this theory that UW is Clemson 2016 and would remain undervalued right to the title and that read has stuck with me. Penix reminds me so much of Deshaun Watson I’m college that I can’t shake the image.

So you’re saying Clemson of the west?
  • Options
    Sobchak_SecuritySobchak_Security Member Posts: 141
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    NEsnake12 said:

Easy answer is pregame in downtown and hop on the Metro down to the game. A bar like Mcintyres in downtown is a block from the Metro pickup and is pretty decent. Also in the area is Angelshare Charity Bar (you drink and choose the charity to receive the profit). A couple pubs down that way too.

Rice is fine not sure what the bar scene is like there currently. Might can set up some tents in Hermann Park if your adventurous.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,922
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    Sobchak_SecuritySobchak_Security Member Posts: 141
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Also as a Clemson guy I developed this theory that UW is Clemson 2016 and would remain undervalued right to the title and that read has stuck with me. Penix reminds me so much of Deshaun Watson I’m college that I can’t shake the image.

So you’re saying Clemson of the west?
    I wouldn’t insult you like that.
  • Options
    Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,818
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Postal91 said:

Is renting a car a necessity? My buddies are planning on ubering everywhere, but that seems like it would get stupid expensive in a huge area like Houston. I can rent a full size car through Costco for like $250 for the 4 days I’ll be there. Seems like a no brainer

Is Costco the way to go with rentals?? Never checked there. May grab one

YES! No cancellation until day of rental plus they have awesome customer service if you get screwed (*cough* Avis, Budget) by not renting through Enterprise/National/Alamo, which you can through Costco, though may be slightly more expensive than the less reliable rental companies.
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    edited January 3

All needs to be verified by @HoustonHusky or I call bullshit.

Can’t argue with most of this…big fan of Pappa’s if you are looking for a good steak. One thing though…Woodlands is fucking far. It’s a shitty drive from downtown, so if you do stay up there (I wouldn’t) then make sure you take the Hardy Toll Road. I45 is awful.

• Options
    Postal91Postal91 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,731
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Postal91 said:

Is renting a car a necessity? My buddies are planning on ubering everywhere, but that seems like it would get stupid expensive in a huge area like Houston. I can rent a full size car through Costco for like $250 for the 4 days I’ll be there. Seems like a no brainer

Is Costco the way to go with rentals?? Never checked there. May grab one

YES! No cancellation until day of rental plus they have awesome customer service if you get screwed (*cough* Avis, Budget) by not renting through Enterprise/National/Alamo, which you can through Costco, though may be slightly more expensive than the less reliable rental companies.
    I just had someone push Turo to me. The AirBnB of car rentals. Looks like you just rent people's personal fleet cars and away you go. Intrigued by this, especially in avoiding lines.
  • Options
    Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,818
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Check out “Broken Obelisk” (1 of 4 of them worldwide) at the Rothko Chapel:

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Postal91 said:

Woodlands is cool by the way. Cool little River Walk type scene and lively bars/restaurants. Probably cheaper hotels but you’ll obviously be 30 mins away from the action and Reliant is all the way South of downtown at the bottom of “The Loop.”

Looks like the place I booked at is just east of the Houston cemetery, south of Greens point Mall. If you say The woodlands is better I'll switch up
    If you're staying outside of the Loop then stay in The Woodlands
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    For the Houston area peeps that have actually gone to Reliant ...

I'm assuming that if you're coming from the southern end of things (think Lake Jackson area) ... that just getting a parking pass is the way to go?