Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

DM to @tequilla regarding Pac 2 settlement

EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,993
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
Or anyone else who can cut through the bullshit.

Please tell us about the agreement between the Pac 2 and it's departing members.

Conzano (sic) is trying to say the beavs and cuog will out earn UW/U0/Stanford/Cal due to a $250 million windfall.

Can you break down the specifics? Please tell me future liabilities come out of this number.

I know we? give you shit from time to time, but you are probably one of a few who might care to take the time to understand this shit.

TIA or not.

Comments

• Options
    Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,819
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Canzono is a clown. There is no way they settled with WSU and OSU getting anything close to $250,000,000. I hear they get some money to cover conference costs and all schools will cover conference debts and liabilities.

The settlement will eventually be pubic due to a state of Oregon law.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,259
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    You probably want to actually @Tequilla if you want him to take the gloves off.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter

Canzono is a clown. There is no way they settled with WSU and OSU getting anything close to $250,000,000. I hear they get some money to cover conference costs and all schools will cover conference debts and liabilities.

They’ll take it in the shorthairs eh?
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,259
    Swaye's Wigwam

Yeah, this is a giant nothingburger.

OSU/Wazzu basically ensured liabilities were guaranteed for the conferences historical obligations and agreed to pay out members minus some of that money.

Maximum windfall looks between $50-100 million which ain't shit once you subtract out the additional liabilities moving forward then divide by 2.

Good luck the rest of the way guysm!
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    $250M is $125M each which is the equivalent of four years of old P12 revenue. Those two schools won’t have any media revenue for the next couple years and are paying the MW for the right to scrimmage, so they will be net negative in probably three years. Everyone sans the Bay schools are making $30M+ in new conferences and will pass the “treasure chest” quickly.

Basically buys them three years of praying they make it into a P4 conference, otherwise they are back to G5 revenue instantly.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,511
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2023
    Canzano is still butthurt.

There is no choice between going to B1G and staying and he knows it but still insists on acting like a douchebag about it.

The 2 schools are just getting enough to float by yet:

They are playing a Mountain West schedule with no real conference championship to even play for.

Their non football sports have been relegated to the WCC (except OSU baseball which will try to go independent).

They have no TV contract. And they will never get one that will keep them at a power 5 level.

The CFP will completely ignore them (they're currently lying to recruits about this).

After 2 years when they have to drop the conference label no one besides the Mountain West will take them. This is another lie they're telling recruits. If Power 4 didn't want them now they won't even be considered in 2026.

Any money they're getting now is offset by the crippling facilities debt they both willingly and foolishly took on.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Others have touched around some high points but I'll try to summarize and obviously until the agreement is completely public there's still some unknowns

Breaking down the revenue and liability streams:

There's a segment that is tied to the entire backload of conference assets that is estimated at around $200M in total. To my understanding the biggest contributors to this amount are the Rose Bowl Settlement and anticipated future NCAA Tournament units (the payout is fairly long-term and delayed; there's historical precedent out there that these units typically stay with the conference versus the teams that accrued them).

While on the surface this looks like a sizable chunk of money, the reality is that the NCAA units are what they are and barring the conference dissolving (which it really should have but whatever) ... the size of the legal fight to claw back anything in this area not only was going to be long and lengthy but also have a high chance of failure. The departing 10 members have been fairly public for the time being in being prepared to walk away from this so this isn't anything anybody should be really too worked up on.

The bigger area where on the surface it feels like it's worth questioning is the roughly $6M discount on current year revenue streams. The key here will be in understanding how that retention of money follows the KNOWN liabilities (think Holiday Bowl, Comcast, P12 Network wind down and severance pay, etc.). The good news with the balance of those liabilities is that the amount should be relatively fixed at this point. I'd expect that the 10 agreed to those discounts with the understanding that it was the responsibility of the 2 to pay those liabilities. I'd also expect that some of the clawed back revenue is an acknowledgement of enticing the 2 to settle.

Where there are likely unknowns going forward is how future unknown liabilities will be treated with the elephant in the room being the current case before the House. The potential magnitude in a settlement is vast and I can understand the 2 wanting some form of guarantee in the protections (although to be fair I don't think that there's any way the 10 could act like they walk away from it but whatever on that). What's probably a little messier is how any liabilities that arise from this point forward are handled ... I'd be very hesitant if I was the 10 to agree to anything that arose from the control/management of the 2 and the 2 alone. We'll see on that ...

In the end, my read on the matter is that the departing 10 schools basically decided that the cost and energy required to call BS on the 2 was far greater than any potential reward. I do think there was an opportunity to challenge whether the PAC was a going concern conference but it was far from a slam dunk and that's where measuring risk vs reward comes into play. Finding an agreeable number from which to walk away from any future relationships with these 2 schools frankly was in the best interest of everybody.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,939
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Thanks teq. Could you boil this down to a
    Couple sentences for me?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2023
    Tequilla said:

Couple sentences for me?

The little 2 think they've won ... they won a small battle but will lose the war

Those going to the Big10 and Big12 will be fine

Cal & Stanford can fuck off and be the academic elites that they aspire to be viewed as
    Big 12 isn't fine.

The ACC won't have any brands if FSU, Miami, potentially UNC leave.

Big 12 already doesn't have any brands. ~Half the schools are former G5's and basketball won't make up for that.
  • Options
    haie said:

Tequilla said:

Couple sentences for me?

The little 2 think they've won ... they won a small battle but will lose the war

Cal & Stanford can fuck off and be the academic elites that they aspire to be viewed as
    Big 12 isn't fine.

Big 12 already doesn't have any brands. ~Half the schools are former G5's and basketball won't make up for that.
    Big12 will be fine because it will be the stand-alone 3rd conference with a decided gap eventually between itself and everything else below it ... there will be an obvious gap between them in the SEC/Big10 and that's fine. They'll largely be on fine and stable footing going forward because any consolidation below 3 will hit the ire of any kind of competitive imbalance that antitrust regulators jump on

The Big12 will always be fine from a hoops standpoint and that will always be the leg that they are able to stand on as being superior or at least on par with everybody else

You're right that there are some schools and programs that I don't necessarily love in that conference but I do think they've largely made smart adds going forward. Outside of picking the leftovers of some of the ACC schools that don't get poached off, I'm not really sure I see a program that they've missed adding that they should have added in place of anybody that they have in fact added.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

haie said:

Tequilla said:

Couple sentences for me?

Big 12 isn't fine.

Big12 will be fine because it will be the stand-alone 3rd conference with a decided gap eventually between itself and everything else below it ... there will be an obvious gap between them in the SEC/Big10 and that's fine. They'll largely be on fine and stable footing going forward because any consolidation below 3 will hit the ire of any kind of competitive imbalance that antitrust regulators jump on

The Big12 will always be fine from a hoops standpoint and that will always be the leg that they are able to stand on as being superior or at least on par with everybody else

You're right that there are some schools and programs that I don't necessarily love in that conference but I do think they've largely made smart adds going forward. Outside of picking the leftovers of some of the ACC schools that don't get poached off, I'm not really sure I see a program that they've missed adding that they should have added in place of anybody that they have in fact added.
    They picked schools that were really good G5's right before their coaches left. Whittingham will retire/leave, Fisch is gone after another 9 win season. Gundy might even leave.

Unless you like the situation in terms of TCU taking advantage of it, that conference isn't even paper bag level fuckable when the B1G and SEC start rolling out their new matchups.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Others have touched around some high points but I'll try to summarize and obviously until the agreement is completely public there's still some unknowns

Breaking down the revenue and liability streams:

There's a segment that is tied to the entire backload of conference assets that is estimated at around $200M in total. To my understanding the biggest contributors to this amount are the Rose Bowl Settlement and anticipated future NCAA Tournament units (the payout is fairly long-term and delayed; there's historical precedent out there that these units typically stay with the conference versus the teams that accrued them).

While on the surface this looks like a sizable chunk of money, the reality is that the NCAA units are what they are and barring the conference dissolving (which it really should have but whatever) ... the size of the legal fight to claw back anything in this area not only was going to be long and lengthy but also have a high chance of failure. The departing 10 members have been fairly public for the time being in being prepared to walk away from this so this isn't anything anybody should be really too worked up on.

The bigger area where on the surface it feels like it's worth questioning is the roughly $6M discount on current year revenue streams. The key here will be in understanding how that retention of money follows the KNOWN liabilities (think Holiday Bowl, Comcast, P12 Network wind down and severance pay, etc.). The good news with the balance of those liabilities is that the amount should be relatively fixed at this point. I'd expect that the 10 agreed to those discounts with the understanding that it was the responsibility of the 2 to pay those liabilities. I'd also expect that some of the clawed back revenue is an acknowledgement of enticing the 2 to settle.

Where there are likely unknowns going forward is how future unknown liabilities will be treated with the elephant in the room being the current case before the House. The potential magnitude in a settlement is vast and I can understand the 2 wanting some form of guarantee in the protections (although to be fair I don't think that there's any way the 10 could act like they walk away from it but whatever on that). What's probably a little messier is how any liabilities that arise from this point forward are handled ... I'd be very hesitant if I was the 10 to agree to anything that arose from the control/management of the 2 and the 2 alone. We'll see on that ...

In the end, my read on the matter is that the departing 10 schools basically decided that the cost and energy required to call BS on the 2 was far greater than any potential reward. I do think there was an opportunity to challenge whether the PAC was a going concern conference but it was far from a slam dunk and that's where measuring risk vs reward comes into play. Finding an agreeable number from which to walk away from any future relationships with these 2 schools frankly was in the best interest of everybody.

Thank you.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

haie said:

Tequilla said:

Couple sentences for me?

Big 12 isn't fine.

I agree. The Big 12 did as best they could to offset the loss of Texas and Oklahoma.

Going from the fifth best conference to the third best is no small feat. Some could even say the conference could be better than it was previously.

• Options
    EwaDawg said:

Tequilla said:

haie said:

Tequilla said:

Couple sentences for me?

Big 12 isn't fine.

I agree. The Big 12 did as best they could to offset the loss of Texas and Oklahoma.

Going from the fifth best conference to the third best is no small feat. Some could even say the conference could be better than it was previously.

I think that’s where Haie misses the mark in his comments

Nobody is claiming that they will be the equal of the SEC and Big10 … they will have their challenges when it comes to flat out matching the resources

But they’ve largely done what they could and they’ve built a collection that is close enough top to bottom peer wise that they’ll survive versus the gaps between top and bottom that blew up the PAC and will blow up the ACC

I expect the conference will continue to remain compelling
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

EwaDawg said:

Tequilla said:

haie said:

Tequilla said:

Couple sentences for me?

Big 12 isn't fine.

Nobody is claiming that they will be the equal of the SEC and Big10 … they will have their challenges when it comes to flat out matching the resources

But they’ve largely done what they could and they’ve built a collection that is close enough top to bottom peer wise that they’ll survive versus the gaps between top and bottom that blew up the PAC and will blow up the ACC

I'm not missing the mark.

It's a power 2, there is no third, so they're just another graveyard conference.

Utah who just scored 7 against Northwestern is supposed to be the banner school now. Fucking eh oh el.
  • Options
    haie said:

Tequilla said:

EwaDawg said:

Tequilla said:

haie said:

Tequilla said:

Couple sentences for me?

Big 12 isn't fine.

It's a power 2, there is no third, so they're just another graveyard conference.

Utah who just scored 7 against Northwestern is supposed to be the banner school now. Fucking eh oh el.
    Imagine banking an opinion on anything in the bowl season today … as long as teams are gutted by the portal and opt outs the balance of these games are exhibitions no better than watching NFL preseason football
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    haie said:

Tequilla said:

EwaDawg said:

Tequilla said:

haie said:

Tequilla said:

Couple sentences for me?

Big 12 isn't fine.

The Big 12 will routinely get 2+ teams into the expanded CFP. None of the actual graveyard conferences will even get one on average.

Their per school revenue of $35m+ is obviously not SEC/B1G level, but it's multiples of the $5m that MWC schools are earning. Who knows how the next chapter of realignment shakes out, but the Big 12 schools aren't dying off. If a "super league" of the top ~25 programs happens (I doubt it) then it won't really matter anyways - it's not like Maryland's conference affiliation is going to save them.