Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Lanning will cost Ducks games again this year

flatusflatus Member Posts: 877
5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment First Anniversary
Standard Supporter
Ducks destined to lose 2-3 games this year a la Corvallis and UW 2022.

Biggest reason: Lanning will shit the bed again with reckless decision-making. Case in point: fake punt on own 17 against shitty Colorado. That decision was fucktarded, fueled 100% by emotion. Ducks fail there and it's a huge momentum swing with gift points for CU, which, up to that point, hadn't moved the ball in the forward direction. Dumb. Just plain dumb.

If Oregon is even able to hang with UW straight-up, Lanning will find a way to fuck it up by forcing an inane, low-probabilty call, probably on 4th down in our? own territory, per the script. Fuck.

Deboner > Lanning, until shown otherwise (probably never)

Comments

• Options
    Standard Supporter
    ntxduck said:

Agree with the overall sentiment but disagree with the example. That type of fake punt play is always something that’s found on tape in how the opposing special teams unit lines up. There was 0 risk in running it. Colorado lined up wrong and didn’t have anyone near the gap to stop it.

It was 100% something the coaches saw on tape and said, “first punt of the game we have of 4th and 5 or less, we’re running this if we see them line up in their incorrect formation”. A DT ran through the hole and didn’t even get touched until 15 yards downfield. There was no chance it wasn’t going to work as soon as cu lined up wrong.

Fair enough. Disagree there was 0% chance it wouldn't work. A lineman handling a direct snap and having to haul ass without tripping over himself is hardly zero risk. Agree in principle about the CU formation, but still wouldn't have done it from own 17. Between the 40s, ok.

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,046
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    flatus said:

Biggest reason: Lanning will shit the bed again with reckless decision-making. Case in point: fake punt on own 17 against shitty Colorado. That decision was fucktarded, fueled 100% by emotion. Ducks fail there and it's a huge momentum swing with gift points for CU, which, up to that point, hadn't moved the ball in the forward direction. Dumb. Just plain dumb.

If Oregon is even able to hang with UW straight-up, Lanning will find a way to fuck it up by forcing an inane, low-probabilty call, probably on 4th down in our? own territory, per the script. Fuck.

I don't see a huge disparity in talent between UW and Oregon.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

flatus said:

Penix and receivers are the difference. Oregon has edge at RB. UW has better coached D, which can stop Oregon. Ducks need BigPenix to make mistakes in order to win. I don't see that happening. Hence a dumb Lanning 4th down decision(s) will seal it for UW, rather easily, say 44-27?*

*Adjusted for inflation
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

flatus said:

Oregon is probably better man for man but Big Penix is the difference
    Yes, was just writing that. 53 seconds.
  • Options
    MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    edited September 2023
    We’ve noted he’s not the man for the Job. It didn’t take one play against an overmatched Colorado to tell us that.

I’m just watching all of this like the Joker these days.

The Heath Ledger one. Not the gay one from the last movie.

Everyone knows where I got these scars.
  • Options
    SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,807
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

flatus said:

Oregon is probably better man for man but Big Penix is the difference
    I think UW has better overall coaching. Bye weeks favors the DAWGS imo
  • Options
    thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,570
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    If a team runs a fake punt it’s because the other side told on itself on tape. CU punt coverage was probably lazy/bailing early so Lanning made the decision during the week that we’d go if the yardage was reasonable.

Lanning isn’t Chip 2009 but it’s starting to get tough making the argument that he’s not a competent HC.

• Options
    MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405
    edited September 2023
    thechatch said:

If a team runs a fake punt it’s because the other side told on itself on tape. CU punt coverage was probably lazy/bailing early so Lanning made the decision during the week that we’d go if the yardage was reasonable.

Lanning isn’t Chip 2009 but it’s starting to get tough making the argument that he’s not a competent HC.

Disagree.

I suppose it depends on what your definition of “competent” is.

He has a lot to answer for.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,515
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

thechatch said:

Disagree.

I suppose it depends on what your definition of “competent” is.

He has a lot to answer for.
    Chinteresting to see how they come out next week. Will tell a lot about Dan in a classic let down/low energy spot after a big home game
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,490
    Swaye's Wigwam
    thechatch said:

-Quook Thoughts with the Snatch
  • Options
    DawgDaze71DawgDaze71 Member Posts: 704

flatus said:

Neither do I. Last year we took a depleted roster into Autzen and surprised the Ducks. This year I doubt there are
    UW players that think they're going to lose the game.

UW OL has been better for two season now. Oregon's OL was one of the few spots I used to be envious of. No longer.

Oregon has a ton of really good WR but Nix is not comfortable making reads so he targets Franklin too much.

I wouldn't surprised if we beat Oregon by two scores. UW has improved in every facet of the game.

• Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,515
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

flatus said:

Neither do I. Last year we took a depleted roster into Autzen and surprised the Ducks. This year I doubt there are

UW OL has been better for two season now. Oregon's OL was one of the few spots I used to be envious of. No longer.

Oregon has a ton of really good WR but Nix is not comfortable making reads so he targets Franklin too much.

I wouldn't surprised if we beat Oregon by two scores. UW has improved in every facet of the game.

Lol
  • Options
    bisonduckbisonduck Member Posts: 714
    5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    flatus said:

flatus said:

Penix and receivers are the difference. Oregon has edge at RB. UW has better coached D, which can stop Oregon. Ducks need BigPenix to make mistakes in order to win. I don't see that happening. Hence a dumb Lanning 4th down decision(s) will seal it for UW, rather easily, say 44-27?*

*Adjusted for inflation
    Oregon’s defense is better according to SP+ and that’s still accounting for the last 3 games of last year.

Teams aren’t even going after Jahlil Florence and Kyhree Jackson’s play the last two games was outstanding.

The spread on this game is probably -5.5 based on analytics and probably squeezes closer to -3.5 after next week’s slate.
  • Options

flatus said:

This is some of the worst analysis that I’ve read.
  • Options
    flatus said:

flatus said:

*Adjusted for inflation
    Have you watched the defense the last two weeks? Teams aren’t even throwing at Jahlil Florence and Kyhree Jackson has been outstanding on the boundary.

Oregon’s defense is ahead of UW on SP+ that is still using last year’s data.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,490
    Swaye's Wigwam
    bisonduck said:

flatus said:

flatus said:

*Adjusted for inflation
    Have you watched the defense the last two weeks? Teams aren’t even throwing at Jahlil Florence and Kyhree Jackson has been outstanding on the boundary.

😆
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,362
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    bisonduck said:

flatus said:

flatus said:

*Adjusted for inflation

If Oregon can pressure Penix like yesterday they win

But I think Colorado has a shitty O line
  • Options

bisonduck said:

flatus said:

flatus said:

*Adjusted for inflation

If Oregon can pressure Penix like yesterday they win

But I think Colorado has a shitty O line
    That oline is so bad that I draw zero conclusions.

The pass rush is better than last year. I just don’t think we know if it translates.