Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Ana Mari Cauce who got it done getting us to the B1G, anybody read her wiki? Damn.

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,367
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

For some odd reason I was reading it while listening to Rage Against the Machine and wondering who our next A.D. will be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ana_Mari_Cauce

"Cauce was born in Havana, Cuba, to Vicente Cauce, minister of education under Cuban dictator Fulgencio Batista, and Ana Cauce (née Vivanco).[4] When she was three years old, her family, including her brother César, fled the island during the Cuban revolution. She grew up in Miami, Florida, where her father, who held a PhD, worked first as a custodian. Eventually both parents worked in a shoe factory.[5]"

"In 1979, Cauce's older brother, César Cauce, a well-known communist activist, was killed in the Greensboro massacre.[11] He and the other three white male victims were buried in Greensboro at a traditionally black cemetery.[12]"

I mentioned and cited this when she got hired. It was this combined with her appearance that led me to believe she'd be against football and anything that hinted of the patriarchy. But it turns out I was pretty much wrong, unless she has transformed from when she first ascended to the role
    Because she's Cuban? Expats who fled Cuba aren't exactly known for being liberal. Miami Cubans are a pretty important Republican base in Florida. Pretty surprising that her brother was a commie tbh, there's no way their parents were if they worked for Batista and fled after the revolution.
    No... I never mentioned ethnicity. I mentioned her Communist roots. Multiple posters in this thread struggling with reading comprehension.
    Cuban is a nationality, not ethnicity. My point was she doesn't have any communist roots. Her dad worked for Batista, the guy the communists overthrew, and her family fled after the communists took over. Seems her brother decided to become a communist anyway, but I don't see how that makes her one.
    Again... As I said earlier in this thread, the assumptions I made were proved mostly wrong as she was very vocal about leaving the Pac-12 and I acknowledged it. And you come in with "Because she's Cuban?" which I never, ever said or implied, and I didn't appreciate that underhanded tactic.

She had Communist roots and she was quoted somewhere talking about "equity" (I posted it on HcH at the time) and she dressed in a frumpy manner at early press conferences, so I assumed that we had yet another university president who was anti-football. But I was so very impressed with the interview that she gave to Caple and it greatly altered my perception of her.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited September 2023

That and the fact that she then hired a leopard print AD that seemed better suited to be in charge of Alumni Fundraising (what she had been hired for I think) than the AD position.

That worked out (maybe) better than that, but again, the concerns remain

If she was so good at fundraising, why was she begging and pleading for money? Why aren't our financials in better shape?
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,067
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

For some odd reason I was reading it while listening to Rage Against the Machine and wondering who our next A.D. will be.

"Cauce was born in Havana, Cuba, to Vicente Cauce, minister of education under Cuban dictator Fulgencio Batista, and Ana Cauce (née Vivanco).[4] When she was three years old, her family, including her brother César, fled the island during the Cuban revolution. She grew up in Miami, Florida, where her father, who held a PhD, worked first as a custodian. Eventually both parents worked in a shoe factory.[5]"

"In 1979, Cauce's older brother, César Cauce, a well-known communist activist, was killed in the Greensboro massacre.[11] He and the other three white male victims were buried in Greensboro at a traditionally black cemetery.[12]"

I mentioned and cited this when she got hired. It was this combined with her appearance that led me to believe she'd be against football and anything that hinted of the patriarchy. But it turns out I was pretty much wrong, unless she has transformed from when she first ascended to the role
    Because she's Cuban? Expats who fled Cuba aren't exactly known for being liberal. Miami Cubans are a pretty important Republican base in Florida. Pretty surprising that her brother was a commie tbh, there's no way their parents were if they worked for Batista and fled after the revolution.
    No... I never mentioned ethnicity. I mentioned her Communist roots. Multiple posters in this thread struggling with reading comprehension.
    Cuban is a nationality, not ethnicity. My point was she doesn't have any communist roots. Her dad worked for Batista, the guy the communists overthrew, and her family fled after the communists took over. Seems her brother decided to become a communist anyway, but I don't see how that makes her one.
    With Cubans it is a binary either you are or aren't a commie. Lots of family civil wars go on on the subject.

My UW TA who is Cuban reiterated these points to me at the top of her lungs from the standing position on a chair while we were in Mexico when the subject came up. Csb.
    Pics?
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,353
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

With Cubans it is a binary either you are or aren't a commie. Lots of family civil wars go on on the subject.

My UW TA who is Cuban reiterated these points to me at the top of her lungs from the standing position on a chair while we were in Mexico when the subject came up. Csb.
    Pics?
    I wish, she was Caliente.
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,606
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

That and the fact that she then hired a leopard print AD that seemed better suited to be in charge of Alumni Fundraising (what she had been hired for I think) than the AD position.

If she was so good at fundraising, why was she begging and pleading for money? Why aren't our financials in better shape?
    Great questions ... my perception is leopard girl was hired (a long time ago) during the good old boy alumni era when schmoozing at events, one on one chats and greets, huskython cash grabs etc. was the thing ~ all of which I think she was good at during the era she was hired in.

Years later, the cash flow is now profoundly different
    * for a generation, 1/2 of the kickoffs became night games which were announced 2 weeks before the game
    * which killed the ability to plan
    * which killed the enthusiasm for half of the 50 and up crowd
    * which also killed regional fan game day participation
    * which cut out of state fan participation in half
    * all of the above , many of which were big time donors
    * ticket sales, ticket prices and season ticked seat licensing went thru the floor

Throw in the miserable financing package for the stadium redo (who was responsible for that?, and the steady stream of below average coaches that couldn't recruit to save their lives and you are here.

No one would have guessed that tickets on the 40 would cost about the same as tickets to the movies ~ what a debacle.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Great questions ... my perception is leopard girl was hired (a long time ago) during the good old boy alumni era when schmoozing at events, one on one chats and greets, huskython cash grabs etc. was the thing ~ all of which I think she was good at during the era she was hired in.

* for a generation, 1/2 of the kickoffs became night games which were announced 2 weeks before the game
    * ticket sales, ticket prices and season ticked seat licensing went thru the floor

Throw in the miserable financing package for the stadium redo (who was responsible for that?, and the steady stream of below average coaches that couldn't recruit to save their lives and you are here.

No one would have guessed that tickets on the 40 would cost about the same as tickets to the movies ~ what a debacle.
    Also throw in the Sark/Woodward decision to start scheduling the likes of Sac State, Idaho State and Tulsa. Back in 2013-2016 I used to joke about UW scheduling Tulsa, and then lo and behold they did it!
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,067
    Founders Club

Also throw in the Sark/Woodward decision to start scheduling the likes of Sac State, Idaho State and Tulsa. Back in 2013-2016 I used to joke about UW scheduling Tulsa, and then lo and behold they did it!
    3 of Sark’s best wins were against the likes of Idaho St and Portland State.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Absolutely ~ an the other long term major fuckup was the Pac pussy laden leadership deciding on the north south division nonsense with the outcome of the conference losing the USC, UCLA, Washington annual rivalry (and then later what would have turned into a rivalry with Oregun) which had been a significant feature and would have greatly improved our media contract situation.

This really is just a dead bodies stacked on top of dead bodies discussion list ~ so much of which was just so obvious as to be amazing.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited September 2023
    The other aspect of this is that UW used to have a really remarkable CFO ~ Frank Montgomery [a fun, charismatic and deadly serious professional guy that hailed from Rocky Top Tenn] and Frank was making a giant difference in guiding leadership to stay in the real fucking world and make better decisions. A trip to his office to discuss the declining business relationships in your area [all the way up the chain to the board level] without having a decent game plan was no bueno. And the guy was a killer negotiator, and mr sage enthusiasm as a contract grant business development local leadership facilitator. His check list of shit to get done got done. His departure into semi retirement and then full retiurement was another unseen domino in the slide all the way up to the board level that we have been watching.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Gladstone said:

AMC is a pro-football cutthroat. I strongly agreed with the original apprehension about her because there is significant precedent at UW of upper campus being flagrantly anti-revenue sports, which directly and unarguably lead to the sabotage of the football program. Across multiple decades and multiple administrations. Cold skepticism is probably going to be my default here as long as I live. As others said, being Cuban didn't and shouldn't play into it at all because her tribe of Cubans are famously anti-communist. They also generally like football. Her brother's story is interesting and tragic, I had no idea. I defer to creep's expertise on this subject, of course. And to add to creep's point about AMC having way too much on her plate to get involved in the stadium debt stuff, she also is way too high up to have the time to overview shit like assistant coach contracts. I wish she did though...think she would have signed off, as Jen did, on that breathtakingly stupid 750k+ John Donovan contract? Competing against less than nothing for that clown's services lmao. Can I mention again how hilarious it is USC hired Cohen?

At this point though, if we solely judge AMC on the literal words she has said and the actions she has taken -- there is not much to complain about. What we know for sure has been confirmed by people like Caple and other trustworthy sources: AMC herself ran point on the B10 negotiations, without input from Cohen. AMC dragged Oregon along for better negotiating power when Oregon was getting cold feet and/or Phil was hesitant. AMC overruled Cohen and fired Jimmy Lake. AMC was directly and inexorably involved in Kalen's hiring, and sold Kalen that the entire upper administration was all-in on football.

Let's see what Kalen thinks about AMC. This entire interview is great, but the AMC stuff starts at 12:15: https://youtu.be/LRAx93zsmEo?si=UPkKXK8h04n-Bnxu&t=735

I never mentioned her being Cuban.
  • Options
    From Cauce's interview with Caple two weeks ago:

"What I can say is, if Apple had given us $30 million (per year) and one game a week on linear TV, there is no question we would have a deal."

One measly Pac game per week on TV - everything else streamed;

$30M per year on a likely 5-7 year agreement;

You got a deal Tim Cook!

And yet nobody was more gung-ho on UW leaving for the Big Ten than Ana Mari Cauce

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,915
    Swaye's Wigwam

Umm, I would think that all matters regarding his, her or their Cubanity would be directed to me. All you Scandies and Germanics are fumbling around in the dark trying to grapple the combination of intellect, passion and hot temper that this woman comes by genetically.

Her brother was a commie, and we? dealt with him appropriately.

Best think UW has ever done in its almost 200 year history is hiring a Cuban to run shit.

Carry on.

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Of course, my fellow bean is the ONE guy in the room who has this issue dialed in like Irishdawg22.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Again... As I said earlier in this thread, the assumptions I made were proved mostly wrong as she was very vocal about leaving the Pac-12 and I acknowledged it. And you come in with "Because she's Cuban?" which I never, ever said or implied, and I didn't appreciate that underhanded tactic.

She had Communist roots and she was quoted somewhere talking about "equity" (I posted it on HcH at the time) and she dressed in a frumpy manner at early press conferences, so I assumed that we had yet another university president who was anti-football. But I was so very impressed with the interview that she gave to Caple and it greatly altered my perception of her.
    Is HCH going woke?

WTF.gif

Come on guysms
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,502
    Founders Club

So you’re saying they aren’t technically gifted readers?
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,502
    Founders Club

It’s much easier to get to seven wins when you spot yourself 3 gimmies. Gotta get to house money as soon as possible.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Umm, I would think that all matters regarding his, her or their Cubanity would be directed to me. All you Scandies and Germanics are fumbling around in the dark trying to grapple with the combination of intellect, passion and hot temper that this woman comes by genetically.

Her brother was a commie, and we? dealt with him appropriately.

Best thing UW has ever done in its almost 200 year history is hiring a Cuban to run shit.

Carry on.

Libertad! Libertad! Libertad!
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,037
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam